Coopers European Lager Taste?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi there, I am trying my Coopers Euro Lager (that had to be in the bottle for 3 months) I am not sure what it is supposed to taste like but I when I made it there was a "rotten egg" which was what was supposed to happen. But to me the taste is a bit weird, background flavour is something I cannot explain only that it is a very very very slight petrol background, I don't know ..hard to explain.... but has any one made this and taste? Thanks

What temp did you ferment at? As far as I remember the euro lager is a true lager year and if you fermented over 14deg you are likely to get off flavours.

'Petrol' sounds a bit like hot alcohol or solventy which could be fusel alcohols from a warm fermentation. If it also gives you a bad hangover that's probably it.

I fermentated at 27 degrees and the ambient average temp was 24 degrees..., my notes say the yeast started late and the wort had a molasses flavour..I asked someone else to taste and they thought a background vegemite flavour, something strange... sounds like temp. not right, I did not realise that, I cannot remember what the instructions said.... I dont think it said less than 14 degrees, thanks

Ditch it!
But most importantly check your methods.
Lager should be temp controlled around 13c. I did my first temp controlled Lager at 13c. Its done in two weeks
I cant believe it. Just kegged it. I thought it would take longer.
Smells and tastes like comersial beer :huh: B)

Agree, real lager yeast needs to be below 13, faux larger can be a bit higher

The thing that amazed me was fully fermented out in 8 days at ~12c.
(Pitched started yeast at ~15c then controlled temp 11-12c for 8 days) and no egg smell at all! Thats important I think.....
Bottle or keg after 2 weeks etc.
Thats the same time I give my Ales at 19c.
Just awakening here to some homebrewing knowledge. B)

Latest posts

Back