Coopers Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxs19

Reaction score
Hey guys

I put a coopers dark ale down on the 31st of nov with the following ingredients

Coopers dark ale can
1kg LDME
US05 yeast (at least 1 year old and not stored in ideal conditions)
topped to 23L

Temp control was a little bit off between 16 and 24 degrees

It took a while to start femernting as the temp in my brew fridge was about 16 for the first 48 hrs. Once i took the 2L frozen bottle out the temp rose and the fermentation took off with plenty of foam.

I had a taste after about 5 days and it did'nt taste like i was expecting. I sort of vegimite flavor and the wonder full smell that usally greets me when i open the fridge door during fermentation was also absent.

i had another taste tonight and the strange taste is still there it has settled a bit.

Questions

Do you think i have an infection? I did not boil the LDME before adding to the fermenter.

Should i tip it down the drain?

I was thinking of bottling 12 long neck and leaving them for a while.

Thanks

Hey guys

I put a coopers dark ale down on the 31st of nov with the following ingredients

Coopers dark ale can
1kg LDME
US05 yeast (at least 1 year old and not stored in ideal conditions)
topped to 23L

Temp control was a little bit off between 16 and 24 degrees

It took a while to start femernting as the temp in my brew fridge was about 16 for the first 48 hrs. Once i took the 2L frozen bottle out the temp rose and the fermentation took off with plenty of foam.

I had a taste after about 5 days and it did'nt taste like i was expecting. I sort of vegimite flavor and the wonder full smell that usally greets me when i open the fridge door during fermentation was also absent.

i had another taste tonight and the strange taste is still there it has settled a bit.

Questions

Do you think i have an infection? I did not boil the LDME before adding to the fermenter.

Should i tip it down the drain?

I was thinking of bottling 12 long neck and leaving them for a while.

Thanks

Only advice i am qualified to give is DON'T Throw it out!

Lemon

+1 on don't tip out.

A 1yr old packet of yeast that hasn't been stored well? I would have boiled it and used it for yeast nutrient. That being said, if the taste is settling/subsiding then kick back and relax. I don't do hydro tests until 14 days in primary, at least, and almost all strong flavours I ever get in hydro tastings have subsided completely by the time the brew is ready to be drunk.

Never know, you may have a cracker on your hands. Be a shame to tip it down the drain! Even if it isn't something that you don't love, you'll at least learn from it.

Latest posts

Back