Coopers Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Coopers Dark Ale was inspired by Brains Dark (SA Brain & Co, Cardiff UK) when one of the Coopers family visited the area, tried the product then walked in and introduced himself to the brewery. I'd love to try it and wonder if anyone has seen it in QLD? Also a bit of self interest here as I'm about to do a dark for a mini comp and everyone will be cranking out Toohey's Old, Hunter Old, Newkie broon etc and I'd like to try something a bit different in the Aussie Dark category.

Drank a few darks in my youth in Cardiff but it was definitely an old timer's drink, so maybe my time has come :lol: :lol:

This is a great beer. Rarely see it though. Bottlos often seem to get a bunch and then not re-order for ages, so it can be a hit and miss affair.

The other one I love, but rarely see in shops, is their Mild. Great lawnmower beer that one.

I've heard CDA is very, very close to CPA but with a small addition of roast barley. It's a bit darker than an English brown, but nowhere near black. It is pretty light bodied, but still retains the banana/breadiness with a mild roast and is quite an easy drinker. I've found it's a good beer to ween swill drinkers onto darker beers.

Don't know where you can get it in QLD!

The only place Ive ever seen it is:

Coast Country Ballina Discount Liquor
59 River St
Ballina, NSW 2478
02 66862162

I bought a carton of it when I was there a couple of years ago. Nice drop from what I remember. Very much like CPA, but with some dark malt thrown in, as Adam said.

In VIC I always see it in Dan Murphys, Even the Mild Ale too!

The mild is available in QLD, they did a big railway billboard advertising thing last year with some really funny ads such as "with our product you will never end up doing karaoke" or "you will never end up telling your mates how much you really really love them" ... playing on the 3.5 abv of course.

I'm near Dan's at Northlakes on Sunday, might pop in :)

Come to SA - it's everywhere here (well, at least at all good bottlo's). Our local Coles supermarket also has the kit for HB'ers. I've tried it but in my humble opinion it's not as good as the Tuohey's Classic Dark Ale kit. Vive la difference! :p

theres only a 3.5% chance of you getting up and singing wake me up before you go go.

The Coopers stable of ales are all quite similar, really. They all taste like Coopers first and foremost and then have their own individual style after that. The dark is no exception. It kind of tastes exactly as you'd expect it to.

If you're in Sydney, you can get it on tap at the tenpin bowling alley above Harbourside at Darling Harbour. (Of all places - go figure!)

Don't see it that often but it is a great beer. Let us know if it turns out ok. THe dark ale that is, not the mild.

They have it at my corner bottle shop which actually has a great array of beers for a liquor shop/cum asian supermarket - chimay blue, kozel, schofferhoffer hefe and kristal, kilkenny, three oaks cider, sambor brok, erdinger (two types), duvel, orval, hoegaarden, cooper's red, green, stout and dark and many more.

When I first started with kits, the two most successful were coopers stout and coopers dark.

As with all of their range it's good, everyday drinking beer. I reckon coopers are the best value for money beer on the australian market (mainstream market).

Forgot to mention I'm nowhere near QLD so my great local bottle shop probably doesn't help you much.

I'm about 95% certain that the Springwood Dan Murphy's (Brisbane's south side) has the dark ale.
I was in there last night and remember thinking that I haven't seen that colour on a coopers label before.

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

I emailed Coopers and got a prompt reply. Yes it should be at Dan's and I'll swing past the Northlakes one tomorrow on the way to park at Bald Hills station. Neat as. Probably closed today for ANZAC day. I've only been into Dan's once in my life as they didn't have any outlets on the Northside apart from Chermside until recently.

Coopers also said it's available at the Story Bridge Hotel. I've drunk Coopers on tap there and I wonder if he's referring to dark on tap? I'll give them a hoy.

The problem is that the Story Bridge Hotel is right on my way to the BABBs meetings and that could be a trap <_<

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Not sure of the situation now, but I used to get it from the Newington Inn bottle shop behind the pub on Stanmore Road Petersham. They also sometimes had the Mild. Inspired me to try to clone the Dark, with some good success. Just a CPA clone with a little roasted malt. Recultured Coopers yeast is essential, of course.

Also available on tap at The Glengarry Castle in Redfern, its a nice drop.

Coopers also said it's available at the Story Bridge Hotel.

It was on tap at the Bulimba golf club in December last year. I've seen it in bottles at the Story Bridge Hotel, but that's going back a few years now. It's a lovely drop when you can get your hands on it!

Cheers,
Kris.

Latest posts

Back