Coopers Cultured Yeast...what A Gas!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The usual start gravity of a kit and kilo is 1.045. I suspect the brew wasn't thoroughly mixed at the start and the reading is skewed too low.

1.020 is definitely too high. It may still be working but the fermenter is not sealed and that is why the airlock isn't bubbling. Or, it may be a stuck ferment. Pick the fermenter up and gently swirl the contents (with the lid on.) Try not to splash around the lid.

Going from 26 to 18 degrees over four days, it may have spent a couple of days at 26 which is way too high for that yeast. Maybe another user of that yeast can comment on its behaviour at high temps.

Grab a couple of takeaway food containers. Make sure they are as clean as your bottles, fill with water and pop lids on. Freeze these down and next time you brew is too hot, drop one or two in as large iceblocks. That way your brew will be at the right temperature.

Hey Pint of Lager,
Im pretty sure the ingredients were mixed well. Ive just taken another reading and is still around 1020. I have checked the seal on the lid, airlock and seems to be ok. I am not bottling this brew I am kegging so if it doesnt come down any further by tomorrow should I keg it? The fact that the FG is 1020 does this mean the alcohol content is lower? :angry:

You only put the brew down on the 4th, that is six days, give it a few more days in the fermenter.

Gently swirl the fermenter a few times a day.

Check your hydrometer in water, it should read 1.000. Sometimes the glue holding the paper in the stem fails and the paper slips about.

The be2 bag may have been faulty and full of maltodextrin, which does not ferment.

Otherwise, I don't know what has happened to your brew.

Hey Barwee,

Sorry. I am dial-up so reading entire threads would take for ever (no I have not read entire thread).

I suspect your problem is simply the result of a recent reduction in the air temperature in South Australia.

Yeast love a constant temperature to thrive. If you pitch at say 22 C then for the next week the air temperature is less than 18 C (12 C average in SA the last week) the yeast struggle to adapt and ferment is "sluggish".

As Pint of lager suggested. Give it a "swirl" to get the yeast back into suspension. Place the fermenter in the warmest place inside of your house.

cheers

Darren

You only put the brew down on the 4th, that is six days, give it a few more days in the fermenter.

Gently swirl the fermenter a few times a day.

Check your hydrometer in water, it should read 1.000. Sometimes the glue holding the paper in the stem fails and the paper slips about.

The be2 bag may have been faulty and full of maltodextrin, which does not ferment.

Otherwise, I don't know what has happened to your brew.
Hi Pint of Lager
Just to let you know regarding my concerns with my latest CPA brew. After 3 days of no activity in the brew and a reading of 1.020 I suddenly remembered that I had a friends fermenter that I borrowed. Just out of interest, I swapped his lid with mine and voila!!! away it went almost immediately bubbling away. I was so relieved. Just goes to show how important it is to have fresh seals etc. Now I can relax and look forward to tasting it soon. I'll let you know when I do. Thanks for all yor help.
Regards
barwee.

Latest posts

Back