Coopers Cerveza ,what Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys, i am going to do a can of coopers mexican cerveza tomorrow,i am going to add the coopers 1kg be2 pack, add another 250 grms dried light malt, and 2 squeezed limes into the fermenter, the yeast options i have are, yeast under the can lid, so4, forbidden fruit, coopers pale ale recultured,i cant get any other yeast tomorrow so thats what i have, any ideas.
cheers fergi

Any of those should work. I did it with the kit yeast, and it turned out fine. I used a bottle of bundy lime cordial in mine and it added a nice lime finish, so the added lime juice will probably work. Something fruity will probably work well too, though perhaps overpower your lime - so maybe not that. Coopers yeast is always nice and crisp, so that will work. Probably better than the kit yeast.

I have done this kit with the S-04 with good results.just keep the temp around 18.. Also good as a lager with S-23.. at 12..

Cheers.

Hey there guys.

Just recently got back into brewing and I to am about to do a Coopers Mexican Cervasa as well.

I am wanting to place some lemon or lime into the mix to give it a little hint of flavour.

How much would you seasoned veterans recommend??? I am thinking 1 lemon and 2 limes.

Cheers,
Jezza

Hey there guys.

Just recently got back into brewing and I to am about to do a Coopers Mexican Cervasa as well.

I am wanting to place some lemon or lime into the mix to give it a little hint of flavour.

How much would you seasoned veterans recommend??? I am thinking 1 lemon and 2 limes.

Cheers,
Jezza

first time i have done one of these, from what i have read 2 limes are fine, dont want to overpower it with a real lime flavour, just a hint is what i am after adding extra 250 grms dried malt in mine with 1kg be2, just to give it more mouth feel. really only want it for a quaffing drink when hot.

fergi

I have done this kit with the S-04 with good results.just keep the temp around 18.. Cheers.

I have always had problems with S04 stalling/falling asleep.... even at 25deg

first time i have done one of these, from what i have read 2 limes are fine, dont want to overpower it with a real lime flavour, just a hint is what i am after adding extra 250 grms dried malt in mine with 1kg be2, just to give it more mouth feel. really only want it for a quaffing drink when hot.

fergi

try using maltodextrin instead of the dried malt, although the malt will give you a bit more mouthfeel, it will also add alot more sweetness. Maltodextrin will pretty much just give you body and a tad bit of sweetness.

I have always had problems with S04 stalling/falling asleep....

S04 tends to rip along for the first few days then take a week to finish off when starting with the dry yeast. But will finish off faster if using the slurry from a the fermenter.

Cheers..

Hey there guys.

Cheers,
Jezza

hi guys,

im fairly new to brewing and have been following these posts with interest.

im looking at doing my first toucan with coopers mexican and possibly canadian blonde. my problem is i am unsure whether to pitch both kit yeasts or to source a specific yeast from my lhbs...

any thoughts would be appreciated. the limes sound like a good idea too..
cheers aaron

hi guys,

im fairly new to brewing and have been following these posts with interest.

im looking at doing my first toucan with coopers mexican and possibly canadian blonde. my problem is i am unsure whether to pitch both kit yeasts or to source a specific yeast from my lhbs...

any thoughts would be appreciated. the limes sound like a good idea too..
cheers aaron

If you have away to control your temps go with a better yeast.. I like us05 or s04 ale yeasts.. but if your temps can get over say 22deg I would go with the kit yeast. With a 2can I would pitch 2 packets of yeast..

Hope this helps.l

If you have away to control your temps go with a better yeast.. I like us05 or s04 ale yeasts.. but if your temps can get over say 22deg I would go with the kit yeast. With a 2can I would pitch 2 packets of yeast..

Hope this helps.l

cheers thats been a good help... temps are still a bit up and down. im using frozen pet bottles in an old metal box which i have insulated with foam boxes and metal (kinda like a fridge/esky) and am managing to keep it around 18 to 20c

im currently researching temp control devices and then will be on the look out for an old fridge. i already have a heat pad off an water bed for the heat side of things in the colder months....

im more of an ale person so will steer clear of largers at the moment..

thanks again aaron

Ok, so I have decided to run with adding Lime.

Can I use juice concentrate and if so how much?

Or, should I just buy 2 limes, juice them and boil the juice with some water to make sure its sterilized????

Cheers,
Jezza

you have to be careful when adding cordial, especially if there are preservatives that will kill the yeast. coopers mexican cerveza is incredibly boring and ironically any hops you try to enhance the flavour with will completely ruin it.

I've recently kegged my Coopers Cerveza tin that I ended up with before Christmas:

Linky to another site but I think you have to join up to be able to see the piccies

The Galena has given the beer a significant bitter back-taste that is a tad out of balance, but a good lawnmower. I used S-189 at 19 degrees, worked great.

Edit: nah, l went in as a guest and you can see the pix if interested.

hi guys, i am going to do a can of coopers mexican cerveza tomorrow,i am going to add the coopers 1kg be2 pack, add another 250 grms dried light malt, and 2 squeezed limes into the fermenter, the yeast options i have are, yeast under the can lid, so4, forbidden fruit, coopers pale ale recultured,i cant get any other yeast tomorrow so thats what i have, any ideas.
cheers fergi

How was this brew Fergi?
I am thinking of doing the same if it turned out ok.

Alternatively I am thinking of dry hopping some Citra instead of using the limes.

Made this up the other night from leftovers.

Coopers Mex Cerveza
500g homemade candy sugar
400g LLME
400g LDME
200g Carapils (steeped
10g Homegrown Perle @ 10min
S-189 Swiss lager
OG=1036
Currently Brewing @ 10c in the fridge.

AQuestion to those wanting to add lime. have you thought about adding Kaffir Lime Leaves? you could make a little tea and with the leaves to help extract some flavour from the leaves, it might avoid extracting any bitterness from the pith of the fruits. Just a thought.

Cheers Jan

Be careful if you use Kaffir Lime leaves and don't use too many. I brewed a Chilli and Kaffir lime using Coopers Mex and it had a strange perfumed taste. Just try chewing a leaf first to see if you like the taste first. The chillis I used had bite but I am not sure it was to my liking either. Must get around to trying a commercial chilli beer one time to see what it is like.

Be careful if you use Kaffir Lime leaves and don't use too many. I brewed a Chilli and Kaffir lime using Coopers Mex and it had a strange perfumed taste. Just try chewing a leaf first to see if you like the taste first. The chillis I used had bite but I am not sure it was to my liking either. Must get around to trying a commercial chilli beer one time to see what it is like.

:icon_offtopic: Not to hijack the tread, i am interested in what process you did when putting them (chilli and lime leaves) into the brew, was like dry hopping the fermenter with the kit or a boil? I am curious to try.

Cheers

Back