COOPERS CARB DROPS AND VOLUMES

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOBLIN

Reaction score
Hi all, been wondering about using 3 or maybe 4 coopers drops in the plastic 740ml bottles. I usually use two with adequate carbonation, but i want to try getting a bit more fizzyness .

have you tried this and what did it turn out like.

some of the beers that i want to brew ask for 4 volumes of carbonation so how many drops would i add?

Beer is not supposed to be "Fizzy"

What beers are asking for 4x carb volume ?

Carbonation Guidelines by Style

British Style Ales

1.5 - 2.0 volumes

Belgian Ales

1.9 - 2.4 volumes

American Ales and Lager

2.2 - 2.7 volumes

Fruit Lambic

3.0 - 4.5 volumes

Porter, Stout

1.7 - 2.3 volumes

European Lagers

2.2 - 2.7 volumes

Lambic

2.4 - 2.8 volumes

German Wheat Beer

3.3 - 4.5 volumes

I believe after you've consumed enough beer you should feel "pissey" and have a memory that is "fuzzy". 4 drops in those coopers pet bottles will cause gushes. Oh well no harm done. Glass, amigo, is a different kettle of pistachios.

Hey Gobby, have you tried beer with less carbonation?
I use the drops as I am lazy, put down a Coopers ESVA a while ago and the bottles felt over carbed. I cracked the lids a few times to lower the carbonation levels to the point where the bottle was soft.
The beer was so much better. The taste was more mellow and felt more at peace with the universe.

just experimenting with carb levels guys.......i have had some very smooth dark ales with low carbonation which were great, but i want to try something a little more effervescent and bubbly with a wheat beer. i guess i might try 3 drops in the bottles and see........ anysuggestion?

Just experiment with a few of the beers. Don't do a whole batch. Gushers will ruin a good beer mate. There is a reason why the drops are that size. If you want a little more do bulk priming and add a little more sugar then you usually would. There are calcs online for it.

maybe try cutting some in half and go 2 1/2 per bottle.
I think 3 will be too much and stuff your brew......gushers as mentioned above.....no fun, no good.

Bulk priming is your best option though and use the right amount to get what you want.

If you want more fizz why don't you save money by not putting extra drops in, just shake your bottle before opening. :D

Use scales for measuring accurately using carb drops is less accurate.

I prime using a syringe. Made this spreadsheet a while back to solve the problem of different bottle sizes without having to bulk prime - which was giving me uneven priming due to unmixed sugar, not to mention the questionable accuracy of bucket volume markings.

Anyway, spreadsheet and a syringe has been working for me for over a year now. It only just occurred to me today however that one of those dual chamber dispensing bottles ala starsan would be much easier

View attachment Optimal Prime v3 - Bulk Prime with Syringe.xlsx

Back