Coopers Canadian Combo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
I have just finished bottling my second brew and was thinking of using the Coopers Canadian Blonde kit and using Nelson Sauvin hops (have just got these and pretty keen to use them) I was just wondering if this would be a good mix and if the Canadian Blonde is any good in the first place?

Cheers

Chris

sounds good to me,

go for about 10-15gm NS boiled in 5 litres water added to fermenter for a nice easy drinking summer ale, or boil with wort to give it a little extra.
drop about the same amount of hop in dry day 5 for a bit extra on the nose.
also get as much malt into the blonde as you can, not too much dex or malto, Id go 700gm ldm, 300gm dex

sounds good to me,

go for about 10-15gm NS boiled in 5 litres water added to fermenter for a nice easy drinking summer ale, or boil with wort to give it a little extra.
also get as much malt into the blonde as you can, not too much dex or malto, Id go 700gm ldm, 300gm dex

What do you mean by "boil with wort" please yum beer?

I used to do something similair with cascade hops (before i found NS). no matter what! it was always bloody nice! It should be a cracker of a beer with NS!

Good Luck! :icon_cheers:

What do you mean by "boil with wort" please yum beer?

boil 5 litres of wort after you have made it up and boil your hops in that, it will help to get full potential out of your hops(more IBU's) compared to just boiling in water.

another way is to add 500gm malt to the 5 litres of water and boil that while making your brew up.

whichever way you go will give great results, just ensure you cool your boiled liquid before adding to the fermenter....cold water bath in sink works fine.

sounds good to me,

I think I will give that a crack for sure. Cheers for the tip with the Wort! Didn't know that... how cool does it need to get back to before adding to fermenter? Does it just need to not be boiling anymore?

Chris

I used to do something similair with cascade hops (before i found NS). no matter what! it was always bloody nice! It should be a cracker of a beer with NS!

Good Luck! :icon_cheers:

I do have cascade as well but I am really really really keen to use the NS first :icon_cheers:

ideally you want to cool down to the same temp as the rest of the wort in your FV, otherwise you will lift your

temp too high and increase your lag time before pitching your yeast.

I normally cool my pot in the laundry tub with the lid on, change the water 2 or 3 times(you can add ice to help) over 30-45min and its good to go.
Strain into your FV to reduce the hop debris getting into the brew.

ideally you want to cool down to the same temp as the rest of the wort in your FV, otherwise you will lift your

temp too high and increase your lag time before pitching your yeast.

I normally cool my pot in the laundry tub with the lid on, change the water 2 or 3 times(you can add ice to help) over 30-45min and its good to go.
Strain into your FV to reduce the hop debris getting into the brew.

Oh right, Im with ya now.
Is straining through a (sterilized) sieve alright to reduce the debris?

Chris

Here are my tips -

Go to BigW and buy a 19L stockpot. Only need the dirt cheap one, they're around $20.

Boil 5L of water with 500grams of the light dry malt that's part of your recipe. This will give a gravity of around 1.040 which is perfect for boiling hops. The formula for a hop boil is 100grams of LDM for every litre of water.

Keep a close eye on the pot as it is boiling, even though its only 5L in a 19L pot the malt WILL boil over at first if you don't keep an eye on it.

Add your hops, and after you've finished the boil pop the pot into your kitchen/laundry sink thats filled with icy cold water. The pot may float, thats ok. Leave for a while and let it cool down, then strain using a kitchen sieve into your fermenter.

Spooky... I'm just about to try something similar... Coopers Canadian Blonde with some LDME, Wheat DME & a bit of dextrose and then Tettnang hops.

How long do you guys recommend I/we should boil the hops for? I've been playing around with that Kit-Extract-Beer spreadsheet and was thinking to boil for 15mins to extract some bitternes?

Cheers,
Steve

Spooky... I'm just about to try something similar... Coopers Canadian Blonde with some LDME, Wheat DME & a bit of dextrose and then Tettnang hops.

How long do you guys recommend I/we should boil the hops for? I've been playing around with that Kit-Extract-Beer spreadsheet and was thinking to boil for 15mins to extract some bitternes?

Cheers,
Steve

15 minutes will extract only a small amount of bitterness but that wont hurt, the blonde kit is not very bitter to start with.

Id split into 15 min and 5 min, bitterness and flavour.

Hey Chris...

The suggestions are good mate - have you been able to get the Excel Recipe Designer to work on your Mac yet?

I had a quick play with it and came up with the following if your interested.

Batch Size 20Lts to give it a bit more body (rather than 23L)

Coopers Canadian Blonde kit (1.7kg)
Light DME (700g)
Dextrose (300g)
US-05 at 18 deg

If you can get a big enough pot, do a 5Lt boil as suggested with 500g of the DME. You can borrow my second pot if you need it bro.

Boil for 30min,
10g Nelson Sauvin for 15min
10g NS for 5min

Cool in laundry tub...add to fermenter with kit and rest of dry ingredients, top up with cold water...pitch yeast as close to 18deg as poss. Primary for two weeks.

Stats;
OG - 1.051
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.5%
IBU - 36

The one thing that I have read and learnt is that you need to be careful with NS as it can be quite an over-bearing flavour if used too much. Some people really like it, others dont. But I think 10g at 15/5min you'd be ok. Could dry hop with a further 10g if you want more aroma...just sample as it ferments to see how it is shaping up.

Hi YB,
Sorry I forgot some info... I was thinking 10-15g in the boil then I'll dry hop with another 10-15g after the krausen drops.

Thanks for your help! :icon_cheers:

15 minutes will extract only a small amount of bitterness but that wont hurt, the blonde kit is not very bitter to start with.

Id split into 15 min and 5 min, bitterness and flavour.

+1!

Hi YB,
Sorry I forgot some info... I was thinking 10-15g in the boil then I'll dry hop with another 10-15g after the krausen drops.

Thanks for your help! :icon_cheers:

I seem to be errrm distracted by your avitar... did you say something :ph34r:

Hey Chris...

The suggestions are good mate - have you been able to get the Excel Recipe Designer to work on your Mac yet?

I had a quick play with it and came up with the following if your interested.

Batch Size 20Lts to give it a bit more body (rather than 23L)

Coopers Canadian Blonde kit (1.7kg)
Light DME (700g)
Dextrose (300g)
US-05 at 18 deg

If you can get a big enough pot, do a 5Lt boil as suggested with 500g of the DME. You can borrow my second pot if you need it bro.

Boil for 30min,
10g Nelson Sauvin for 15min
10g NS for 5min

Cool in laundry tub...add to fermenter with kit and rest of dry ingredients, top up with cold water...pitch yeast as close to 18deg as poss. Primary for two weeks.

Stats;
OG - 1.051
FG - 1.012
ABV - 5.5%
IBU - 36

The one thing that I have read and learnt is that you need to be careful with NS as it can be quite an over-bearing flavour if used too much. Some people really like it, others dont. But I think 10g at 15/5min you'd be ok. Could dry hop with a further 10g if you want more aroma...just sample as it ferments to see how it is shaping up.

Hey Mark, Cheers for the recipe help.

Always appreciative of it. I was going to go similar to this with the same split for the Toucan (500/250) and 15 gm of hops at both of those points... How will that affect things?
I have a 7ltr Pot that I was going to use for the boil but if you can spare some time when I have the rest of the ingredients (just the can) then we can hook into this third brew....

Haven't been able to get the picture part of the spreadsheet or the "button" to work either. I think the laptop might have to come out of it's hiding place so I can use the spreadsheet better and so I can d/l brewmate. I think I have found the one flaw for Mac: Not useful for brewing programs!

Chur

Chris

Latest posts

Back