Coopers Canadian Blonde Woops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Other One

Reaction score
Just put down a Blonde using one can of the goop, 1 pack of Coopers BE#1, and 500grams of dextrose, but added a little too much water to a total of 24litres,
Is this going to be a bit bland?
If so, is there a way of saving it,, hops etc?? :huh:

Cheers Ivan.

Just put down a Blonde using one can of the goop, 1 pack of Coopers BE#1, and 500grams of dextrose, but added a little too much water to a total of 24litres,

Cheers Ivan.

If your OG is too low you can salvage the brew by adding extra sugar/fermentables. 1L probably won't be particularly troublesome but you could boil up 100g of LDME, cool it, then add it to the fermenter if you want.

You can add sugar all the way along primary if desired or necessary, as long as you are careful and sanitary in your procedures.

The Canadian Blonde is very light on hops for starters. I would add about 15g of a US hop such as Cascade or Chinook made up into a 'hop tea' and strained into the fermenter about four days in.

Also most USA and Canook beers are five percent alcohol, whereas the Coopers kits only come out about 4.6 percent. You can get a bit more fullness and strength by putting in half a kilo of light dried malt extract. You can put this in, dissolved in some boiled water, at any stage.

^^^ Just realise that it will add some time to the fermentation process as you are adding more fermentables if you dump it in after the start. ;)

It will be a pretty bland beer since its a pretty plain kit in the first place. The extra water will thin it out just a touch and the extra 500g dex will thin it out a bit more in feel by adding alcohol but no flavour. At least it will be easy to drink and you can get the boys over and slam it down fast.

Cheers Ivan.

Hi i did that same brew except added 500gm of ldme instead of the dex on top of BE#1 but accidently added to 25 lts will try one next week after 3 weeks in bottle thinkin it might just be a bit thin. I will take more notice next time

It'll be fine.

It sounds like the third or fourth batch I did.

Looking at your location I reckon this will be a decent beer to sit around the pool and knock a few back.

I reckon you'll be better off leaving it as is than trying to do stuff to it while it's fermenting.

If you want to play around with dry hopping, do a nice Pale Ale next.

Coopers Draught, 1kg DME, dry hop with 24g Cascade 4 days later.

It's only a litre over the usual. You'll be right.
Grab a teabag of goldings (or 12g) and throw it in the fermenter. Yum
edit: +1... cascade would be great too.

Dont worry about it mate! The CB is a very ezy slam back 10 or 15 kinda beer! I have heard that CB is a very good beer to add things and experament with! So maybe next time you make it....
I just made it and tatsed it a few days ago......as i said....very ezy to drink

Yeah a litre over is no biggie, a bit of LDME or some dry hopping or a boiled teabag, they will all cover the weakness.
Unfortunately the lighter beers are the least forgiving, they have less taste and therefore are easier to stuff up, a darker brew will cover errors better

I would imagine that adding an extra litre would thin it out a touch... that'why when put down a Canadian Blonde this afternoon i made it to 22 litres, just to add some extra body. Been a whaile since i put down a pure kit batch without any cooking. The recipe i followed is as follows;

1.7 kg Candian Blonde
1 kg BE1
500g LDME
250 Dextrose
Safale US05 Yeast @18C

Took me a bout half an hour to chuck it all in... a little different to last night's Triple Hopped Pale Ale (3 hour extract and specialty grains)...
Anyhoo... i reckon i'll add a 15min boil of 12g cascade in few days and maybe even dryhop another 12g the next day.

A quaffing beer is what i'm after so hopefully it'll come out as expected

I'm trying this kit this weekend with BE2, 500g LDME and two coopers yeasts.

I used coopers pilsener yeast in my mexican cerveza so now I have one pack from the mex, and one from the canadian blonde to put in.

Might have to go with a goldings tea bag, as pete suggested further up.

Thanks for all the replys people,
Ended up just leaving it as is, fermented at 18-20C and will rack at ferment finish using geletin, as done with most other beers,
Should come out very clear from the keg and the rest will bottle and store for those after the lawn mowed days.
Still have two cans of the CB to experiment with so may just try something different, maybe even some dark malt.
Argon's recipe looks good also.

Cheers guys. :super:

A favorite of mine [& mates]
Coopers canadian blonde
1kg be2
100grm carramber
75grm carared
150grm carapils
300grm med crystal
200 grm ldme
grains steeped 35min @ 70*,strained then 15 min boil with willamett plug
22 ltrs
saf04 @ 26*
ferm @ 18*
I call it my "WILD IRISH ROSE" :icon_drool2:
good head/colour, slight caramel flavour,very nice on a cold day
Russ

Sounds the goods. As previous posters have said it's a great base goop for playing around with. If you go into partial mashing, then a can of CB along with 1.5 k of pilsener malt mashed and the steepings boiled with 30g of Pride of Ringwood for 30 mins, and 750g of dex into the brew and fermented with a lager yeast such as s-23 and you will end up with something like a stronger version of Carlton that would sell like hotcakes on tap at your local pub. This is a photo of my last partial using the CB with the grain imparting a bit of colour as well, still struggling to get my AGs as clear but getting there :icon_cheers:

bribie_bitter.JPG

Nice recipe there BribieG,
Will certainly try the partial mashing caper as I learn more on the topic.
Err posted the pic, not sure how to reduce the size but it shows my brew fridge, a non goer but good enough to hold two brews and by using ice bottle/s, can keep the brew temp at around 18-20C,
NOTE,
have found some end caps, used in the electrical field that have a rubber membrane in one end with a small hole in it. This fits on the tap spouts nicely and helps to keep out any nasties.
Top shelf is a Black Rock Dark Ale/750g tup of liquid malt with hops from LHBS and 500 g Dex, and the lower shelf is the blone woops.
Left of fridge is a home built water filter setup sitting on fermenter #3.

IMG_0165.JPG

Latest posts

Back