Coopers can kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
I'm a all grain brewer but my dads mate wants me to teach him how to brew a simple coopers can kit from woolies. I've never done one. What tips do you guys have to improve the beer, as I've tasted a few to be pretty average.

First of all, what's he looking to brew?

Main things that apply are obviously temp control, sanitation and yeast health. Get him in to good habits from the get go.

People throw a mixed bag when it comes to kits, that there's no way to make a good one, I'm not one of those... I've had some shit kit brews, I've also had some shit all grain brews, but the majority of each have been pretty good.

Some steeped grain, short boils w/hops, dry hop additions. make a difference to your more basic kits.

I only brewed a few myself years ago, the more expensive kits do seem to be a lot tastier but still benefit from a bit of propping up... but you can do the same to coopers.

I hear that the cooper's family secret amber ale is a great drop with no special additions just the kit and malt, even the kit yeast works well with it, evidently.

Here's a mush mash of recommendations - If he hasn't already purchased see if you can push him toward black rock kits - and use the premium yeasts US04/5. Oxygenate, temp control, malt over dextrose/sugar min 2 week fermentation, add hops.
DrSmurto gave me a handful of recipes that he seems happy to supply for adding basic malts to kits in a semi BIAB fashion. Hasn't tried one yet but giving it a crack soon.
Not sure if that helps - all the best.

Brewnicorn said:
black rock kits
+1

Best kit I did make was the black rock IPA kit + black rock liquid amber extract, 100g choc malt 20g amarillo dry.

Would absolutely recommend if this sounds like something he'd like to drink.

damoninja said:
First of all, what's he looking to brew?

Main things that apply are obviously temp control, sanitation and yeast health. Get him in to good habits from the get go.

People throw a mixed bag when it comes to kits, that there's no way to make a good one, I'm not one of those... I've had some shit kit brews, I've also had some shit all grain brews, but the majority of each have been pretty good.

Some steeped grain, short boils w/hops, dry hop additions. make a difference to your more basic kits.

I only brewed a few myself years ago, the more expensive kits do seem to be a lot tastier but still benefit from a bit of propping up... but you can do the same to coopers.

I hear that the cooper's family secret amber ale is a great drop with no special additions just the kit and malt, even the kit yeast works well with it, evidently.
I think he's a megaswiller, pure blonde I think is his poison. He made a beer with out temp control and he poured it out ... Not surprisingly. So I told him I'd make him some. I just want to be able to keep it simple and improve with a few simple ingredients. I'll use us05 and ferment in my temp controlled fridge. Just seeing what the brew boys recommend. Thank you

I see nothing wrong starting simple and that can help to get a person to improve/experiment etc if they wish later on. Temp control, cleanliness and sanitation are a must for good simple kit beers. (There is info on simple temp. Control - box & frozen drink bottles elsewhere here).

I wouldn't recommend lagers as yet, but there is nothing wrong with a Coopers Canadian Blonde with enhancer 2 if bottling or a tin of Coopers liquid malt particularly if kegging and kit yeast for starters. Get your dad's processes right and lead him on from there.

Agree with Grott in that case, since he's not after some fancy business...

See if you can curb his palate from there ;)

If you do all grain the kits go better with the all grain but doing a partial mash can take nearly as long as a full brew .

Best mega-swill I've ever made with extract was something like this:
  • 1x Mangrove Jacks Classic Blonde Dry
  • 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 (50% DEX / 25% DME / 25% MDX)
  • US-05
  • Pilsner / Dry Enzyme
  • ~150g Carapils steeped for head retention
  • Fine with gelatin so it looks nice and clear
You could probably swap the MJ Classic Blonde for a Mexican Ceveza if you wanted to. Tastes boring and dry, just like it "should" lol.

Latest posts

Back