Coopers Artisan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicko

Boston Bay Brewery
Reaction score
Took my son and his wife out to lunch today for his birthday and we were in a pub and drinking Blonde from the tap.
I happened to look down into the bottom of the bottle fridge and found a couple of bottles of Coopers Artisan.
I grabbed them and two fresh glasses and we gave it a try.
It is in the style of a Bavarian Lager and is not a bad drop IMO. particularly after drinking Blonde :D

What are others thoughts if anyone has tried it?

edit; I meant to put the link below...

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2014/01/artisan-reserve-introduced-to-thomas-coopers-selection/

Spoke to my local Coopees rep about it.

Its a non pasturised pilsner style.

62 is pasturised, and a different recipie

Yeah 62 is ordinary...but still beter than Pure Blonde..

I was pretty impressed by it (the Artisan I mean). Probably one of the best commercial lagers brewed in Australia (not much to choose from!).

Yup it was on tap at Womad in Adelaide back in March- very nice.

I have heard, from the rep, that there maybe more added to the Thomas Coopers Selection range. Maybe some more seasonal beers...

He would neither confirm or deny...but he did say 6mths ago a new beer was being released....and Artisan was it.

I like the Artisan and consider it to be Coopers best lager yet.

Crisp, refreshing and good flavour/body.

Had a bottle of this new Artisan the other day and wished I had bought something else.
Very unimpressed,IMO continues Coopers inablity to produce a decent lager of their own.

My thoughts on it were that the malt and hop were reasonably well balanced and the malt wasn't subdued to the point of being bland like a lot of other Aussie Pils that we seem to be stuck with.
I found it needed to be cold and the first half a glass was but because we had already eaten our meal and the beer sat in the glass while we talked then it may have warmed a bit and produced that extra malt kick.
I am sure that over time Coopers will manage to dumb it down but from what I had this afternoon I would buy it again at least at this stage anyway.

dent said:
I was pretty impressed by it (the Artisan I mean). Probably one of the best commercial lagers brewed in Australia (not much to choose from!).
Yes I agree, James Squire Pilsener comes immediately to mind :unsure: and I am talking commercial Lagers as well and not Micro's...

You have to stop and think.

Coopers are now longer small enough to do one off beers. They now have a mainstream audience that they have worked hard to get.

They are the 3rd largest brewery and there market share is increasing at a very fast rate.

They are in a position that they cant upset Sparkling/Pale/Stout drinkers but also want o bring in new,quirky beers that are good beers to most people.

Dark & Mild are very big sellers. Vintage is a given. They cant make all beers to suite all people.

We are very lucky to have a modern large brewery that still makes nice, drinkable, good beers.

What I think is remarkable about Coopers is that their mass market beers are all ales. This pretty much contrasts most tap beers from the other big Aussie labels.
I'm drinking a 62 pils now. I thought I'd give them a go but will be going for an ale next time.

Yes...it is remarkable that they still actually make a proper ale & stout from old recipies. The fact that they stuck with has paid dividens in the long run.

They have a 5yrs contract with V8 Supercars for Mild Ale. An absolute master stroke in term of marketing and penatration. When I talk to my mate who is the Coopers rep...even he is amazed at just how far Coopers have penetrated the market.

Back