Coopers apa with POR

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
Making a basic coopers Australian pale ale
Using
coopers apa tin
and BE2 I am going to add a pride of ringwood hop teabag

What is the best way to add this and at what stage do I add it ?

I wouldnt..

POR is already in the can. Add something else that will improve the can like Cascade or other Fruity hops...

+1 to fruitier hops, adding a teabag (or 15 - 20g of loose hops) of cascade or even galaxy hops make for a lovely pale ale.

Also can you get your hands on any light dried malt? Your local Homebrew shop (or even some big W's) will sell it, adding 500g at the same time you add the BE2 will give your beer the body and full flavor it might be missing with only the BE2.

Be aware it'll also up the alcohol level if that's a concern for you.

You could dry hop with the teabag or one of the other varieties mentioned. Simple place your hop teabag into the ferment vessel once most of the main fermentation has died down.
You might need to use something like a stainless steel nut or something to weight it down as hops tend to float. Leave it in there for about 3 days.

I've just put it on just waiting for it to cool a bit then put the yeast in dunking it'll make much difference but i put only 22lt instead if the recommended 23. Will have to remember the extra light malt next time that sounds good to me. So I am going to use the POR teabag how should I do it in the fermenter or steep in hot water in a cup and then pour in. What time frame should either be done in

Agree with this. I tried the POR tea bag in a couple of brews and wasn't overly impressed.

If you are looking to keep it similar to a traditional coopers ale style (whatever that is...) I would use an english style hop. I would reccomend styrian goldings as one that blends really well with coopers yeast (or the mauri 514 in the kits). Otherwise EK goldings, willamette or many others would work very well with it.

Nothing wrong with the american style hops, but throwing them in absolutely everything will make absolutely everything have that flavour.

In response to your question about dry hopping BigTwist, I usually just throw loose hops in on around day 4 of fermention. Don't worry about making a tea, just throw the teabag into the FV and seal her back up. Personally I would tear it open and let the loose hops mix freely but if you are worried about green hoppy sediment getting into your bottles then just leave it in the teabag. Don't be too concerned if it floats at first, it will sink to the bottom after a few days.

I've never dry hopped POR before myself so I can't tell you for certain how it will turn out but POR is a bittering hop with pronounce woody, earthy tones so don't be surprised if your beer has some similar strong flavors to it. Dry hopping if done mainly for flavor and aroma so it shouldn't add too much bitterness (that's done by boiling hops) but it does mean the flavor/smell of the POR will really come through.

I hope it turns out well for you. In the future if you are ever indecisive about what hops to use in a brew, think of a beer you enjoy and google what hops go into it, it's likely that you might even find a kit recipe that tastes similar to that beer, that's pretty much how I choose my next brew project these days.

I have done something similar,

Coopers APA and two cascade teabags chucked in the fermenter. Was an awesome drop.

Back