coopers apa questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindseyyy

Reaction score
A couple of questions regarding a coopers APA i put down 2 x days ago.

Firstly my o.g was 1036. I'm reading this is a bit low. Is it to late to add a little more sugar? I was thinking of adding a little brown sugar to darken the beer a little.

Secondly i was thinking about adding some galaxy hops at day 4-5. i was thinking of adding them straight to the brew without a bag so the hops can really get soaked and go right through. Is this a good option or should i use a bag?

Any feedback will be appreciated,

Lindsey.

Love my dry hopped Galaxy in a Coopers APA.
That and using coopers yeast have been the main ways I've been improving this kit.

It's best to dry hop once fermentation is complete as the bubbling CO2 drives off the flavour, so I wait a bit longer than 4-5 days.
As you've probably read, the benefit of the hop sock is just minimising the hops in the sediment/floaty hazy particles in your beer. I also use a hop sock because it makes reusing or washing/storing the yeast cake a bit easier if it's not full of hop shit.

As to adding more sugar now there are a couple of issues:
- unboiled additions (other than hops which are a beer preservative) could introduce an infection
- fermentation has most likely started already, and stuffing around with it now could oxidise the alcohol. read: vinegar.

But on the other hand you could just throw it in. How important to you is it to add extra alcohol to this batch? Adding sugar will only increase ABV not improve flavour

Boil up some water. Turn of heat And add sugar, dex, malt extract or whatever fermentable floats ya boat And stir to dissolve. Put the pot in a sink of iced water to cool.Gently pour into brew.

Just dump your hops in on day 4-5. Best to put them in when the main part of fermentation is finished but still has some activity to reduce chance of infection.They will sink to the bottom in a few days.

Thanks fellas. Any idea why the O.G was so low (1036)? I pitched it at 22c - 23ltr batch.

What was you recipe? What temperature was the wort when you took your gravity reading?

It was just the APA can and 1kg brew enhancer 2. the temp when og taken was 21-22c.

Check your hydrometer in 20°C water. It should read 1.000. If not, adjust any readings you take with it accordingly.

wereprawn said:
Unless some of the powder didn't dissolve properly?
Yeah, did you just mix it all in a fermenter or boil it a bit first?

i mixed it all up in the fermenter? If i need to boil it I might add some hops then too!

lindseyyy said:
i mixed it all up in the fermenter? If i need to boil it I might add some hops then too!
Only boil a small amount if you want to add hops ( 3-4 ltr of water/extract mix with a gravity around 1040). Boiling the lot will damage head retention. Kits and extracts have already had the crap boiled out of them in their production.

Back