Coopers APA advice (higher ABV)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza101

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Have just Brewed, and is still going, a coopers APA can.

My recipie was
Coopers APA can
1kg LDME
Morgan's premium ale yeast (wanted 05 but they ran out)
10 min boil added to wort of cascade
Dry hop citra 12 Gr after three full days of fermenting
24lt in total wort fermenting at between 16-19 but is around 17.
OG: 1.037

As it stands atm, after fermenting for 5 days, it slowed roght down and is sitting on 1.018, I have given it a swirl and activity has kicked in again a lot quicker. I would like it to get down to at least hopefully 1.010 but not holding my breath. I am expecting to have a final of around 1.012 which should give me almost a 3.9-4% ABV. (With carb drops added)

I am looking at adding some dextrose to the next batch (maybe 500gr) as I am keen to do this one again, just after some advice on how much to add to get me to around 5% ABV. I know the LDME has a lot more complex fermentables than the dextrose but just trying to see what my options are and how much to add.

Regards

Dazza

1.037 is a pretty low OG, I'd be looking to get it up around 1.045-1.050. How you do that is up to you, wether it's the sugaz or dextrose or LDME.

With that ingredient list, I'd expect it to come out at 4.0%abv. An Australian Pale Ale generally would have specs like OG around 1.050 and FG of around 1.006. But that's not hard & fast either. But in those ball-park areas.

On the dry-hopping. I'd give it 7 days to fully ferment out. If you dry-hop before that you run the risk of the hops getting wasted - i.e. aroma getting expelled while Co2 still be pushed out through airlock etc. Most tend to believe that dry-hopping 3 to 5 days before bottling gets the best result. Any longer than that will give you grassy flavours.

Re the dex question. 500grams would bring you up to around 5.0%abv, 1kg would get you up to around 6.0%.

You could also supplement this with a small steep of specialty malt grains as well. Say 300grams of Crystal 60 or CaraMunich 1 or CaraPils. This will give a little extra flavour plus better mouthfeel and head retention. I've been doing this for all my brews the past year and love the little extra it gives my brews.

Cheers,

Pete

Latest posts

Back