Cooling In 35+ Temps!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerritoryBrew

Reaction score
Brains Trust,

Does anyone have an idea how I can make a more efficient immersion chiller as this is not sufficient in the heat I brew in to get it down to 12c?

Any ideas how I can chill down the wort when the ambient temp is around the 35c mark?

Cheers,

Reece

Brains Trust,

Does anyone have an idea how I can make a more efficient immersion chiller as this is not sufficient in the heat I brew in to get it down to 12c?

Any ideas how I can chill down the wort when the ambient temp is around the 35c mark?

Cheers,

Reece

Have you considered joining the band of No-chill Heretics that lurk around this forum? :p

Fester.

if you were to make something, this is how i would do it.

1. make 2 immersion chillers.
2. place one in a pot of water.
3. place the pot of water and chiller into the freezer and freeze solid.
4. chill your brew normally with one chiller until it's cooled substantially.
5. connect the frozen immersion chiller in series and before the chiller that goes into the brew.
6. now chill chill chill away.

No. Would never cool to yats pitching temp here. I like to chill, get to water my garden at the same time!

Hi TB,
I am an absolute newbie to home brewing. I have not got into all the chilling etc. I am just starting out with ESB wort kits

Would using a spare fridge/freezer with a fridgemate available from both the AHB sponsors solve your problem?

I just bought one from Ross, it arrived in no time, wired it up in an evening and it is working amazingly to control my fermentation temperature.

Cheers

Bulmershe

I think you misunderstand Bulmershe, Territorybrew is talking about chilling his wort to pitching temp after the boil (unless I am mistaken) whereas you are talking fermenting temps.
My suggestion TB would be to get a pump, see if you can pick up a second hand pump cheap and a 20litre drum or old fermenter to use as a water reservoir. Put a small bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the drum, or use the fermeter tap, and run the water from the bottom, through your immersion chiller and back into the drum (recirculating) and just drop a few frozen coke bottles of ice into the reservoir. Replace them as they thaw, and you should be able to maintain a nice low temp for your cool down water. When you're finished, put all the bottles back in your freezer, and they will be ready for next time, put the 15 or so litres of water in the drum on the garden or use for cleaning. :) Does the job, and and leave you with a free conscience water wastage wise.
Hope that helps you out....
(Then you can score a fridge temp controller.....which is something else I would recommend as a good investment in a warm environment for sure...)

This is going back a while but I can remember Batz solving the same problem at Dampier.
Can't remember the thread but if you PM Batz I'm sure he will respond.
From what I can recall he used a 2nd chiller in an esky in much the same manner that some of us use an aquarium pump with chilled water but it was much more efficient. Hope this helps?

:beer:

I think you misunderstand Bulmershe, Territorybrew is talking about chilling his wort to pitching temp after the boil (unless I am mistaken) whereas you are talking fermenting temps.
My suggestion TB would be to get a pump, see if you can pick up a second hand pump cheap and a 20litre drum or old fermenter to use as a water reservoir. Put a small bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the drum, or use the fermeter tap, and run the water from the bottom, through your immersion chiller and back into the drum (recirculating) and just drop a few frozen coke bottles of ice into the reservoir. Replace them as they thaw, and you should be able to maintain a nice low temp for your cool down water. When you're finished, put all the bottles back in your freezer, and they will be ready for next time, put the 15 or so litres of water in the drum on the garden or use for cleaning. :) Does the job, and and leave you with a free conscience water wastage wise.
Hope that helps you out....
(Then you can score a fridge temp controller.....which is something else I would recommend as a good investment in a warm environment for sure...)

I will do that for sure. I hadn't even though about recirculating the water.

Have the fridge controller already and works wonders.

Cheers,

Reece

I brewed last weekend in Perth, temp in the shed was 43c, more if you stood near the nasa.
I have moved away from the immersion chiller in favour of a plate chiller, ambient water temp was 28c, I then use my old immersion chiller in an esky full of iced water as a post chiller. Pumped from the kettle through the (Mashmaster) plate chiller into the post chiller got it down from 90c to 17c.
The temp did rise as the iced water warmed up but in the end I had 70l of wort at 20c, quite happy.

In answer to your original question, I would suggest some sort of 2 stage chilling as described above, unfortunately it may involve a few more $$
Hope this helps.

2 stage is the way to go, but (no offence to jupiter), the frozen chiller in ice method doesn't really work that well coz the chiller just ends up surrounded by a pocket of hot water.
Better to have, as mentioned, circulating water with ice bottles.
I do this with a small cheap($5 at Bunnings) immersion fountain pump, keeps the water in the reservoir moving around well.

.... (Then you can score a fridge temp controller.....which is something else I would recommend as a good investment in a warm environment for sure...)

Thanks domonsura for pointing out my post was refering to a different aspect of temperature control in brewing. Joined the canberra brewers club a few days ago. I still have heaps to learn and try :D

No. Would never cool to yats pitching temp here. I like to chill, get to water my garden at the same time!

Not trying to flog a dead horse here, but what is the ambient temperature of your area in the morning? I brew of an evening, and no-chill. In the morning my brewing area (and the wort) has dropped to about 20 degrees.

Could you not no-chill and pitch the next morning when all is cooler?

Fess.

Back