Cooling 200l Wine Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim F

Reaction score
I want to set up something this year to control temperature in my primary fermenter when making wine. Considering a few different options and any feedback would be appreciated! I'm looking at approx 200l volume. I already have a 220l plastic tank, 1l/min and 6l/min pumps, a pid control box and a few on/off controllers and a few fridges and freezers to play with.
1. Buy a smaller primary that will fit in a chest freezer with a collar. I found a 150l that will fit. Seems like the easiest option but i'll have to make up the volume in a couple of smaller fermenters.
2. Pump cold water from a reservoir in the freezer through a large ss coil in my existing tank. I'd need to get a bigger pump and a roll of stainless tube. Not sure where i'd put the temp controller probe? I think this would be effective though.
3. Similar concept but pump through irrigation pipe wrapped around the outside of the tank. Cheaper than buying a lot of stainless tube? Less effective?
4. Pump the must through a coil in the freezer and return to the tank. Very easy to do with existing gear but it might cause problems over extracting from the grape skins?
5. ?

use copper over stainless, it works better as a heat transfer medium.
id put the probe in what your trying to cool.

You can't use copper with wine, wine is too acidic.

I want to set up something this year to control temperature in my primary fermenter when making wine. Considering a few different options and any feedback would be appreciated! I'm looking at approx 200l volume. I already have a 220l plastic tank, 1l/min and 6l/min pumps, a pid control box and a few on/off controllers and a few fridges and freezers to play with.
1. Buy a smaller primary that will fit in a chest freezer with a collar. I found a 150l that will fit. Seems like the easiest option but i'll have to make up the volume in a couple of smaller fermenters.
2. Pump cold water from a reservoir in the freezer through a large ss coil in my existing tank. I'd need to get a bigger pump and a roll of stainless tube. Not sure where i'd put the temp controller probe? I think this would be effective though.
3. Similar concept but pump through irrigation pipe wrapped around the outside of the tank. Cheaper than buying a lot of stainless tube? Less effective?
4. Pump the must through a coil in the freezer and return to the tank. Very easy to do with existing gear but it might cause problems over extracting from the grape skins?
5. ?
I'm interested in what you come up with. Im doing a 700l ferment and I was going to freeze a stack of 20l drums to throw on the ferment when it started to get hot. But you method two may be the way to go!

Did a quick search on Ebay for small coolrooms and hire of but too expensive.

You could employ 3. But just during morning and after noon pump over to avoid over extraction.

5. Get your hands on a S/S 44 gal drum for fermenting (they are cheaper than you think). You should be able to get a chest freezer with collar to fit it easy.

Effectively the same thing, but just on a smaller scale to the freezer....... I know guys who have used ice banks or glycol chillers connected to a SS product coil hanging in the wort through the top of the fermenter. This is all connected up to a temperature control device such as a STC1000 with a SS probe in the wort. The ice banks usually have a pump which turns on when the temp needs to be brought down. It's mainly guys in the UK that I know do this as they can get the ice banks/glycol chillers quite cheap. It is quite effective as you are directly measuring the temp of the wort/must and cooling it down directly.

i am about to buy a 100L fermenter and cool it using a diy glycol chiller as follows,

Temp prob in fermenter wired into controller.

Temp controller open /closes glycol recirc valves

Glycol chiller will be in the freezer

Copper tubing around the fermenter and then insulate and lag it

The idea is to pump -10*C glycol around the fermenter until the fermenter set point is reached, and then a recirc valve will open and the glycol will recirc through the chiller in the freezer until the temp controller calls for it again.

Some great ideas here. I'm interested in the SS 44 gal drum idea, I could fit 2 of them in my double chest freezer so if I can actually track some down that would give me more capacity and potentially cheaper than buying the 150l fermenter I was looking at. Building a ply/styrofoam mini coolroom with an air con is interesting too.

Back