Cooler Repair

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpiwek

Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first post on this site but have been lurking in the background for some time now B)

I just got one of the cool Mashmaster thermometers and want to patch up a smallish hole where my old thermometer was stuck in.

Could anyone recommend a product to do this? (when I told the guy at Midre10 that it had to be food grade he was at first hesitant and didnt want to sell me anything?)

I know its probably been answered a zillion times but my starters almost ready to pitch and Id like to get the mash tun fixed up in time. Thanks allot.

Hey hefferflocken,

You can use 'Selleys Glass Silicone Sealant for Windows and Aquariums', it comes in a small 75g tube. Or there is a 2 part mix that comes in a stick and sets rock hard but I cant remember what its called and its more expensive.

Cheers
Jye

A bolt with a couple of rubber washers might get you out of trouble for the meantime.

I found this on the site somewhere, I couldn't find it at Bunnings, but I didn't look for that long before I discovered I didn't need it.

"...I have used Dow Corning Silicone Sealant. Now the number escapes me but I think this is the one "Dow Corning Product R732" The MSDS is available from their website. Suitable for use in food contact/machinery. Food grade and rated to 232C..."

Hi All, This is my first post on this site but have been lurking in the background for some time now B)

I just got one of the cool Mashmaster thermometers and want to patch up a smallish hole where my old thermometer was stuck in.

Could anyone recommend a product to do this? (when I told the guy at Midre10 that it had to be food grade he was at first hesitant and didnt want to sell me anything?)

I know its probably been answered a zillion times but my starters almost ready to pitch and Id like to get the mash tun fixed up in time. Thanks allot.

Selleys Silicone 401 is another option. Got a tube from Home Hardware. Sealed my tap in my kettle with it as well and no problems. Quoting the tube " Suitable for incidental food contact".

A stainless steel bolt and nut of suitable diameter with a couple of stainless washers used in conjunction with silicone will do the trick nicely.

cheers

Browndog

A stainless steel bolt and nut of suitable diameter with a couple of stainless washers used in conjunction with silicone will do the trick nicely.

cheers

Browndog

Browndog is on the spot here. ---- A SS bolt\metal thread & nut combined with a liberal dose of food-grade silicon is the go here.

:beer:

Thanks for all the input!

This will get me out of trouble in time for the all important bru day tommorow.

you could try a product from selleys called
knead it. Comes in a tube, is soft like putty untill
you knead it between your fingers, fill your hole
and it sets like concrete. Magic stuff. Theres a couple of
different tubes, so make sure you get the food safe one.
I think its the aqua or multipurpose. I used it to seal
the taps on my hlt and kettle before I had them welded,
and it handles the heat no probs.

Latest posts

Back