Converting Rectangular Esky Into Mlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardhog

Hooray I have a custom title
Reaction score
I want to convert my 'Willow' brand 44L rectangular esky into a all-growed-up mash tun. Unfortunately,
I'm an IT guy who couldn't tell you the names of all the parts I need, hence this thread.

I currently use a large triple stitched mesh bag in the esky. Grain sits in the bag while mashing,
then just lift grain out when done, replace water in esky to batch sparge. Kinda like BIAB, but nowhere
near as low-overhead. This method is returning some pretty average efficiencies, so I think it's
time I found a better solution.

I'll need to drill a hole in the side of the esky, and have some sort of SS braid and ball valve tap
setup put in.

Here's a horrible ASCII diagram of how I think this'll look, where
WW is the wall of the esky
BVT is the ball valve tap
SSB is the stainless steel braid
?? is a large part of the question I'm asking

OUTSIDE WW INSIDE
WW
WW??
BVTBVTBVTBVTWW??SSBSSBSSBSSBSSB
WW??
WW
WW

Okay, looks like you'll have to use your imagination, and picture all the WW lining up in one vertical column.

The wall of the esky would be 1-2 cm thick. Will the ball valve tap have a long enough thread on it to allow a
nut on either side of the wall of the esky? What part do I need to be able to join the SS braid onto the back of the ball valve tap?
Do I need to silicone seal this assembly in place, or will rubber washers and well placed nuts do the trick?
Can you give a name to the ?? part? Any recommendations on sizes - 1/2 in, 3/8 in, 5/8 in?

Anyone with any ideas of approximate cost? I know I'll be looking at around $15 for the SS braid, and $30+
for the ball valve tap.
Does the local Bunnings carry all the bits I need?

Thanks in advance.

I got my SS braid, ball valve's, T Piece and 3 plastic irragation tap thingys for $32 at a mitre 10.

Code:
OUTSIDE	 WW  INSIDE

WW

WW??

BVTBVTBVTBVTWW??SSBSSBSSBSSBSSB

WW??

WW   

WW

Sorry I can't help you, I'm an IT geek too... but I can make your ascii art look perty.

I got my SS braid, ball valve's, T Piece and 3 plastic irragation tap thingys for $32 at a mitre 10.

That's right, I forgot about your pictures of that. I don't think I'll make a loop of the SS braid, as my esky is too long for the lengths of SS braid I've found. Can one of those irrigation things go directly onto the back of the ball valve tap?

I read you're just up the road from me, which Mitre 10 did you get your gear from?

I was at Mitre 10 Diamond Creek the other day and they had them in the bathroom section.

P.S. Sorry off topic. How did the secrets of home brewing (v) with Dave Phillips at Panton Hill go?

P.S. Sorry off topic. How did the secrets of home brewing (v) with Dave Phillips at Panton Hill go?

It was aimed more at the beginner, but still picked up a few handy hints during the course. Plus, we got to taste some of Dave's brews.

Ball valve/tap won't have enough length to get esky wall. I used a piece of brass threaded rod, nylon washers and nuts on either side. I had some leaks initially so I wound it right up tight so the esky wall is compressed almost flat. Then braid is attached to threaded rod with a hose clamp, tap just screws onto the threaded rod the outside. Other end of braid is just rolled over and hammered flat.
Efficiency in the mid 70's, but I do need to look at redoing it, run-off is a fraction cloudy as I have a few holes in my braid that are too big - let through too much grain particulate.

I got my ball valves from T&S Valves and Fittings. Stainless steel and they cost about $13 each if my brains working.
I would try to work it with hot water fibre/silicone washers so you don
t have to use any type of glues/sealers.

That's right, I forgot about your pictures of that. I don't think I'll make a loop of the SS braid, as my esky is too long for the lengths of SS braid I've found. Can one of those irrigation things go directly onto the back of the ball valve tap?

I read you're just up the road from me, which Mitre 10 did you get your gear from?

Danihers Mitre 10 in heidelberg on rosanna rd just past burgundy st.

But watsonia will have all the stuff too.

No one of the irragation things wont go directly...if you dont want a loop of braind dont buy the brass 3 T piece thing like i did. Just buy a single piece of brass thing with threads on each end. Will be even cheaper.

Hahaha i was having a beer with Dave the other day and he told me about the brew demo he said it went well. I even convinced him into doing full mash demo's in the shop when he gets his new brew setup in place...his new setup should be ready by 2020 ;)

Back