Converting a 50L keg for bright beer (or Fermenting) for $25 (plu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd

Reaction score
Hi All,
I really need a method of aging and carbonating my beer without holding up fermenter space so I've been looking at options to convert a legally acquired 50L keg for the job.

I've balked at the options of buying a conversion kit such as this https://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermentor-Kit-with-Thermowell.html, with the current exchange rate probably looking at $150 +keg.

A keg coupler and associated fittings would be a good option but still about $100+keg and not sure how easy to clean.

Bees knees looks to be a kegmenter from Keg King at $289.00 http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/kegs/50l-threaded-stainless-keg-no-spear-956.html pretty good value actually but outside my budget.

So this is my first attempt at a ghetto version- waiting to see if it holds pressure overnight.
IMG_20151022_2249145401.jpg
Heres the video link to the first attempt https://youtu.be/fSWBYsjWKjgNothing like trying it for the first time in front of the camera.

Cheers
Mudd

Trial 1
Trial 2 - pressure test

Cheers
mudd

Last edited by a moderator:
I jjust use cornies. I have cut all of the dip tubes 20mm, that results in a loss of about 250ml. I mostly natural carbonate. The main reason I do it is because my keezer only holds 3 kegs. I have aged some beers, but most of my preferred beers are best served fresh.

Hi Mudd

Did you particularly want to use a SS keg for this or do you just want to find a good simple and cheap method of aging and carbonating your beer without holding up fermenter space?

If so you could get a couple 25L no chill cubes. You just need to lube the plastic taps to seal them so they don’t drip under pressure and you’re good to go.

Yep I prefer stainless. After losing a batch to a cube last summer not keen to waste my efforts.

Seems to be holding pressure overnight OK.
Now to look for another Fridge.

Were you thinking "don't shoot me in the face....." while you gassed that up? Looks to be holding tight though.

I made another change last night before pressure testing overnight. I put an O-ring between the keg and the PET to aid in the sealing. It seems to be working on the bench test overnight.

Once the NBN gets here I might actually be able to upload that video. Probably this arvo.

Cheers
Mudd

I assume you're getting beer into it straight from the fermenter via a hose using the magic of gravity.

How are you going to get it out if you only have one post (albeit a multi purpose one)?

You cant dispense by pushing the gas in and beer out at the same time with one post.

Or am I missing something.

PS. you If you keep creating fancy brewing gear out of paper clips and rubber bands like this and your randall you will have to change your name to MacGyver... or MuddGyver at least.

mudd said:
Yep I prefer stainless. After losing a batch to a cube last summer not keen to waste my efforts.
How did you lose a batch to a cube, do you mean infection or did the cube leak or something?

GrumpyPaul said:
I assume you're getting beer into it straight from the fermenter via a hose using the magic of gravity.

How are you going to get it out if you only have one post (albeit a multi purpose one)?

You cant dispense by pushing the gas in and beer out at the same time with one post.

PS. you If you keep creating fancy brewing gear out of paper clips and rubber bands like this and your randall you will have to change your name to MacGyver... or MuddGyver at least.
Hey grumpy-
am I spending too much?
My fermenter is stainless conical, planning to put low pressure CO2 on it for the transfer. Not keen on lugging 50l keg around when full
Will let you know how much I can transfer with initial pressure.

S.E said:
How did you lose a batch to a cube, do you mean infection or did the cube leak or something?
Mould infection - I try to chill directly into fermenter now days.

I use a 30L keg for something similar and just got a 2" tri clover clamp,seal and blank plate. Drilled a hole in the plate to accept a JG bulkhead and attached a JG ball valve. I can flush with CO2 and vent when required.

GrumpyPaul said:

No I had't missed that but I'll see if it is necessary.

keifer33 said:
I use a 30L keg for something similar and just got a 2" tri clover clamp,seal and blank plate. Drilled a hole in the plate to accept a JG bulkhead and attached a JG ball valve. I can flush with CO2 and vent when required.
Hi Keifer,

I was looking at that option though I hadn't thought of the JG bulkheads I was looking at compression fittings etc - I would have thought the JG leak gas around the threads though (thread tape may be enough to fix that?).

I'll keep this in mind if this doesn't pan out

I used thread tape and a small silicon o-ring and it sealed fine.

The kegmenter from keg king has a 4" port on it. Pretty handy for cleaning etc.

Is it possible to get one of these cut and welded to a keg? There are some cheap 30L kegs available in perth at the moment.

Back