Sanke keg HLT/Mash tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contrarian

Reaction score
I purchased sanke kegs for use as a HLT and mash tun and am looking at using triclover fittings to connect to the bottom of the keg.

This sounds fairly simple, all you need is a 2" clamp and a compatible fitting with a 2" ferrule. The only problem is that it is difficult to find something that simply converts to a useful size fitting.

I am not fussed about having sanitary fittings all the way through, it is more a means of attaching an outlet to the bottom of the keg.

The simplest approach seems to be a 2" ferrule that converts to a 1/2" NPT thread as elbows etc for this are cheap and readily available but to find that fitting means ordering from brewers hardware and 2 of those delivered is in the ball park of $70au.

The alternate option seems to be cheap chinese kit from the bay but would involve triclover 90 degree elbow, reducer and then converting to 1/2" NPT or just going triclover all the way through which would mean getting sanitary ball valves as well.

Are there any simple ways to do this I am overlooking? The more I write the more I think the simplest method will be the brewers hardware bit https://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri-Clover-X-1-2-Male-NPT.html and some other cheap NPT stainless from local suppliers. I guess I am just surprised that this isn't available locally.

Im going the cheap parts rout as usual fo my 30lt kegmenter. All ive done so far is get the parts. Going to flip it as you said and pit a aluminium frame under it.
The clamp is a pretty tight fit. Its the first time ive tried the parts after reading your post. Ive got other bits to play with though.

1484549135463.jpg

trevgale said:
Have a look on the Still Dragon site, I have got a bit of stuff from them and it has all been top quality with good service. Here is a like to something that you could use, there are other options on there as well.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au/rims-cap-2-x-1-2-bsp-thread-endcap/
Thanks for that link, I had looked at still dragon without finding that specific thing, was probably looking in a different section as I am fairly baffled by the terminology.

nosco said:
Im going the cheap parts rout as usual fo my 30lt kegmenter. All ive done so far is get the parts. Going to flip it as you said and pit a aluminium frame under it.
The clamp is a pretty tight fit. Its the first time ive tried the parts after reading your post. Ive got other bits to play with though.
That's the setup I had in mind although the I was thinking about having a length of pipe between the elbow and the ball valve so the ball valve was past the edge of the keg.

Where abouts a did you get your parts from?

Some from ebay and some from Alixpress. I have a 2" pipe with thread on each end and some other bits. I havnt started making it yet. I have to measure up and see how it's gonna fit in my fridge. I have a 2" tri clover cap as well for when i clean it.

Is the one in the picture a 2" ferrule and 1/2" thread? If so can you remember where you found it? Most of the cheap ones I've found with a 2" ferrule have a 1 1/2" thread.

+1 for wanting a cheap 2 inch ferule to 1/2 thread. Or even 3/4.

+1 for wanting a cheap 2 inch ferule to 1/2 thread. Or even 3/4.

consider using a T instead of an elbow and you can put in a screw in temp probe on the exit as well

From Alixpress i got 2 clamps for $16.20 deliverd and 2 caps for $13.18 delivered. The silicone seals i got from ebay and the rest of the ss bits i already had from ebay i think.

I did also get a threaded hex reducer because my keg has a threaded spear but i think its in metric and i couldnt get metric to imperial for the ball valve.

I would actually like to put the valve right after the tri clover thread coz its maybe a bit more sanitary but it will depend on the height.

nosco said:
Alixpress. I jad to wait ages for that part. Got it with a few days to spare.

http://s.aliexpress.com/mQfU7by6

Not sure if the link is gonna work. I just searched for 2 to 1/2 triclover i think.
Thanks mate, link works fine so might grab a couple of those and I can figure out the rest while I'm waiting for them to turn up.

I have a BIAB setup that is fully operational but I am piecing together the bits for a 3V system, mainly for high gravity beers which are pretty fiddly. Also for double brew days to be able to mash and boil at the same time.

As well as something to tinker with...

Had a bit of a quiet day at work today so have managed to piece together all the bits that I think I will need to make it work so thanks for the tips and links, I will be sure to post some pics in a couple of months time when it has all turned up and I have pieced it all together. Not too bad in the end, probably about $100 Australian which included 2 3 piece ball valves so hopefully it all joins up the way I am expecting it to.

Back