Converting a 50L keg for bright beer (or Fermenting) for $25 (plu

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg coupler and fittings will be the easiest option by a mile I reckon. I got one off gumtree for $30 plus I think $15 for the ball locks- total cost $60.

Will hold pressure and enable easy transfer under pressure. Gravity transfers are not ideal with carbed beer.

Keg coupler and fittings will be the easiest option by a mile I reckon. I got one off gumtree for $30 plus I think $15 for the ball locks- total cost $60.

Will hold pressure and enable easy transfer under pressure. Gravity transfers are not ideal with carbed beer.

Is it hard to get the valve and stem out for cleaning? I have watched videos on how to do it, wondering if it's a hassle or not?

Is it hard to get the valve and stem out for cleaning? I have watched videos on how to do it, wondering if it's a hassle or not?

Totally depends on the style of keg, IMO. US Sankey style has a circlip to remove, which can be tricky, but should be straight-forward with an appropriate tool. European Sankey can be a challenge when it has spring-loaded locking clips, but if not, it simply unscrews from the keg and you can spin it with an open wrench pressed up against the two visible tabs. Etc...

Whatever you do, don't hack at a valve with screwdrivers. That's never the right way to do it, despite the countless YouTube videos.

I'm in the process of making one
rps20170817_051335.jpg

The basic sankey adapter (TC cap drilled & fit with 1/2" Tee or Cross) is decently priced at Norcal, but shipping to Australia might be killer.

Is there somewhere you can get the 4" tri clover caps with ball locks like the lid for the kegmenter? Do keg king supply them? They aren't listed on their site.

Alternatively I could get one of these and then drill it and fit these. Found this, a weldless/bulkhead style PRV, but it's super expensive. Are their cheaper options?

What sort of cost do you think would be involved in getting a 4" hold cut in the top of a keg and one of these welded in?

Latest posts

Back