Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Camo6 said:
Worst is when you finally pass them and an hour later, while stopping for lunch, you watch them drive past.
How was Robe anyway? Were you affected by bushfires?
Robe was great, didnt catch any fish from the beach but caught plenty of whiting from the Marina. The missus caught her fist fish, (10 whiting in fact) so she was happy. Left yesterday morning on a 1/4 tank of fuel as I only have Shell, Caltex and BP fuel cards and Robe only has Mobil servos. Empty light came on 40 kms from Penola so started to panic a bit. We must have rolled into Penola on fumes.

Didnt see any smoke or signs of bushfires at all.

I walk into Dans last night and Im on my mobile phone. I receive a call and im chatting away then I go up to the register (With an $80 bottle of scotch I might add) and say to the person on the phone to hold on a minute but still have the phone to my ear.
I look at the girl serving and say hello just that thanks and she just stares at me. A few seconds later I say just on card thanks as I pull my card out of my wallet and she still stares at me. Then finally she grabs the bottle and scans it and removes the security tag. I paywave my card and then she turns around and says "Next time can you hang up on your phone call, its actually company policy" then adds. "and its polite"

I just said it was an important call and walked out. But then I thought about it and was pissed that I didnt say more.
Now Im the first to admit that its rude when your serving someone and they continue to talk on the phone, but I hadnt said a single word to the person on the phone the whole time I was being served, I just kept the phone to my ear. (And the person I was talking to happens to be someone on AHB and can back me up on that if he so chooses too..LOL)

So **** you Dan Murphys bitch, I feel like going back there tonight and complaining to the manager. Im buying an $80 bottle of scotch so just STFU and serve me.

And what company policy is she crapping on about.

I walk into Dans last night and Im on my mobile phone. I receive a call and im chatting away then I go up to the register (With an $80 bottle of scotch I might add) and say to the person on the phone to hold on a minute but still have the phone to my ear.
I look at the girl serving and say hello just that thanks and she just stares at me. A few seconds later I say just on card thanks as I pull my card out of my wallet and she still stares at me. Then finally she grabs the bottle and scans it and removes the security tag. I paywave my card and then she turns around and says "Next time can you hang up on your phone call, its actually company policy" then adds. "and its polite"

I just said it was an important call and walked out. But then I thought about it and was pissed that I didnt say more.
Now Im the first to admit that its rude when your serving someone and they continue to talk on the phone, but I hadnt said a single word to the person on the phone the whole time I was being served, I just kept the phone to my ear. (And the person I was talking to happens to be someone on AHB and can back me up on that if he so chooses too..LOL)

So **** you Dan Murphys bitch, I feel like going back there tonight and complaining to the manager. Im buying an $80 bottle of scotch so just STFU and serve me.

Would it be ruder if it was cheap vodka for 20.99? I agree with the lass, I'm sorry to say. Regardless of whether you're talking or how important the call is - surely if it's that important, you'd concentrate on it and complete it before focusing on purchasing something?

Bit unfair on the retail girl mate and even worse if you complain. She probably gets paid about $15 p/h to serve people who think they're important because they buy expensive booze, least you can do is pay enough respect to complete the purchase with some politeness.

Agree with others. If the call is THAT important (i.e. Russia is about to launch nuclear domination unless YOU make the call personally to Putin) then step aside and finish it.

And the fact you keep mentioning the $80 bottle of scotch makes you come across even more of a pompous git, which I am sure you're not.

But hang on I didn't actually talk on the phone. I told the person on the phone to hold on before I even got to the register. I just kept the phone held to my ear whilst I looked at her and handed her the goods. And the only reason I didn't actually put the phone down is because I was opening my wallet and getting my card out.
I never once talked on the phone the whole time she served me and gave her my full attention whilst she served me.

I fully agree that it's rude if you just hand them the product and keep talking on the phone and ignore them, but I never did that.
I gave her my full attention. Made eye contact and spoke to her politely.

And yeah I agree that it shouldn't matter if it was an $80 bottle or a $4 beer so my bad in that one.

She doesn't know whether or not you're focussed on the purchase or the phone, about to speak or not. You didn't need to go to the register until the call was completed.

In my view, you ask the person on the phone if you can call them back in a couple of minutes before expecting service. How did we cope with all this important stuff before mobiles?

Truman said:
So I have a question for anyone here who tows a caravan or boat etc.
Do you not see the line of cars your holding up? Do you even care? Or is your atttitude that because you can only manage a top speed of around 80 kph, then so should anyone who gets stuck behind you?
When I tow my boat I am very conscious of this. Although I can stick at 100 it does drop a bit on the hills.
If a line builds up I do my best let them pass as safely as I can.

You still get some dickheads though, can't wait and try overtaking on blind corners, hills etc.

I'd go a little of column A, a little (more) of column B.
It might've been a bit more polite to have taken the phone from his ear, but it's hardly the end of the world and I find it pretty odd that the serving chick was so offended by a guy w a phone to his ear while engaging with her that she specifically gives him a ticking off over it.
Talking on the phone and ignoring her is just downright rude; however when you clearly are not engaged in the phone convo, look her in the eye and engage with her, what more is she expecting? It's only a 30 second encounter, FFS.
I'm all for shit canning these yuppy pricks with their rude manners and their expensive booze, but I reckon she was getting snooty over nothing.

Truman said:

I would hope the manager tells you to STFU and GTFO of the shop

technobabble66 said:
I'd go a little of column A, a little (more) of column B.
It might've been a bit more polite to have taken the phone from his ear, but it's hardly the end of the world and I find it pretty odd that the serving chick was so offended by a guy w a phone to his ear while engaging with her that she specifically gives him a ticking off over it.
Talking on the phone and ignoring her is just downright rude; however when you clearly are not engaged in the phone convo, look her in the eye and engage with her, what more is she expecting? It's only a 30 second encounter, FFS.
I'm all for shit canning these yuppy pricks with their rude manners and their expensive booze, but I reckon she was getting snooty over nothing.
My point exactly. It doesn't matter if I had the phone against my ear or not. I gave her my full attention, said hello how are you, just that ️thanks, and looked straight at her and waited for her response. She was the one who just stood there staring at me not even replying.
I pulled my card out of my wallet and said on card thanks and she still stood there staring at me for a bit before finally scanning the box and removing the security device.

Im not going to hang the phone up for a 30 second transaction but I won't keep talking (which I agree is very rude ) and asked the caller to hold for 30 seconds which they did. The caller had been advising me on what whiskey to buy and we were still talking about it after I had left the store.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I would hope the manager tells you to STFU and GTFO of the shop
I would think the manager would realise she was out of line as I wasn't talking on the phone which is exactly what she accused me of.

There is a big difference between actually talking on the phone and just holding the phone to your ear. What if I had phoned a company and had been on hold for ages? I'm not going to sit in my car for 15-20 mins whilst on hold when I can be in and out of the store in that time. She had no idea if I was on a call or on hold waiting as she never heard me talking at any stage.

If I saw you standing there with a phone to your ear I would naturally assume you where on the phone....

Sounds like you have sour grapes because you came across as being on the phone and you got a deserved dirty look for your actions.

How on earth do you expect her to know whether or not you're just wearing the phone as a fashion accessory or listening to someone else talk? Why does it matter whether you were talking? You were on the phone. Some (including me and evidently the retail assistant) feel that's impolite.

If you don't, fair enough but complaining to management is taking it a bit far I reckon. Retail employees are usually badly paid and often badly treated (mostly by customers with a sense of superiority and a sense of entitlement to match).

Phone etiquette and manners aside, if I owned the store I reckon I'd have a strong opinion of who was most in the wrong. Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right?". The manager might agree that it may have seemed rude but can't imagine they'd want it voiced to the customer.

I bet that check out girl posted about it on FB while texting her BFF's on the drive home too.

Customer isn't always right and more managers should stand up for their employees. I worked in hospitality for yonks (mostly boh but also wait and small amount of bar) and the shit some people expect you to eat because they're making your boss richer is astounding.
My partner was in retail for years and is now foh in an art/film institution and she's copped many an undeserved spray from pompous tits who think their shit doesn't stink.

More than customer is always right- what happened to basic respect for other people, regardless of social status?

My partner, by the way is early 40s, takes her job seriously, is polite, informed, friendly, restrained and a bend over backwards helpful type.

Personally I would have finished the call walking up and down the Dans aisles instead of juggling the conversation & transaction. I'm not much of a multitasker though.

I work in a pub and people walk in talking on there phone stop there convo to ask "schooner of rubbish thanks" then continue to talk on the the phone while i pour said schooner of rubbish. This doesn't bother me save me talking shit to them what shits me is they can't put the phone down for the 30 seconds it takes to get there wallet out to pay

Latest posts

Back