Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a proper rant.
I agree - used to play hockey for my firsts and seconds (keeper) and ocassionally umpire for much lower grades and the whinging from penant x compared with state league 1 & 2 was unbelieveable. Only ever a few characters but still.

Now I just keep in social league futsal (lowest division) but regularly watch premier league games. Some teams in both divisions certainly whinge but the loudest are often the crappest.
Ocassionally one or another side have a premier league (v-league) player on their side or a state league 1 player - I relish the competition. They're helping out their mates on a Sunday and having fun. Who cares if they're good? Means I need to be on my game. Good challenges abound.

What's the point of playing sport to win anyway, I thought the Greens and Labour Party made it law so no one team or person can win, but to be fair and dandy, everyone's a winner and gets a trophy. :p

I wish I could play sport again, will find out at the end of this month after more scans to see if I'm allowed to run yet or not, it's been over a year and packed on 16kgs to go with it, very frustrating.

Never been one for sport myself but in my younger years a mate played Aussie rules for a country team and I was asked if I would step in as they were one player short,sure enough there was a bit of a scuffle at the other end of the oval and it was soon over.
At half time the coach went off his head at me for not backing up my mates during the minor scuffle,I told him it was trivial crap ,well he exploded,yelling and threatening me then telling me I was off the team!.
Well he truly lost it when I said, get a dog up ya,ya dickhead.
After the game he was still going on about it ( they lost), whenever I saw him after that I always enquired as to the health of his dog. :)
Cheers....spog....

shaunous said:
What's the point of playing sport to win anyway, I thought the Greens and Labour Party made it law so no one team or person can win, but to be fair and dandy, everyone's a winner and gets a trophy. :p
I wish I could play sport again, will find out at the end of this month after more scans to see if I'm allowed to run yet or not, it's been over a year and packed on 16kgs to go with it, very frustrating.
AFL under a liberal government* for under 11s but misguided nonetheless. They did bring back full tackles though so everyone can be a winner AND know what a broken nose feels like

Best of luck with the rehab - even niggly injuries take ages to heal as you get older. Not being able to participate would send me a bit spare.

*Not really suggesting Libs have anything to do with it either.

shaunous said:
I know the feeling, unfortunately it's not the Kgs I put on as much as the 30 years.

It was novel at first, not getting out of bed in pain every morning.
Now I'd love that pain again.

Just call me Peter Pan wannabe

This rant was covered a few weeks back,dickheads who go to work with the Flu etc and infect everyone else,5 people in the last 3 weeks have come to work with it,then gone home crook after spreading it around and now I'm crook!
Being self employed I can't use a sick day and still get paid,great,just fcukn great.

The flu I had turned out to be a chest infection. I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of a chest infection before. Felt half dead, shivering, coughing up some alien type junk. Spent 3 hours at the medical centre on Sunday. Started antibiotics yesterday and finally feel half normal. Hopefully back to normal in a few more days. Still not really eating.

spog said:
This rant was covered a few weeks back,dickheads who go to work with the Flu etc and infect everyone else,5 people in the last 3 weeks have come to work with it,then gone home crook after spreading it around and now I'm crook!
Being self employed I can't use a sick day and still get paid,great,just fcukn great.

I've been tearing shred off the pricks coming in crook, I've copped 2 doses of the cold in the last couple of months, the last one took 2 ******* weeks to piss off and another week before I felt healthy again.

Apparently I'm the arsehole in this situation for telling them to **** off home, if you have sick days ******* use them, especially if you work in a small business, one person out is fine 10 or more in a company with only 30 staff is not.

The pricks should be fired on the ******* spot.

God damn it, now I'm pissed off, time for a beer.

shaunous said:
Yeah, I hear you mate. I can walk freely but there no chance of me surfing or running with the wires in my knee. I'm booked to see the surgeon on wed to discuss taking them out. It'll probably be a few months at least but I know when they come out I should have a much better chance of doing the things I like to do.

Hopefully returning to work within a few weeks so at least I'll have something to keep me occupied til then. Might even smash the over time and buy a BM haha

Not suggesting it's all about love and hugs shaunous (assuming a bit of tongue in cheek there) - I did say put in no matter what. But if you're going to lose don't throw in the towel, life's not all about the win. My major gripe is with players who can't overlook that and spoil what could othrrwise be a good run. If we're losing because someone on my team is cranky and fed up with the umpires, the only person winning is the opposition. Harden up.
What's laughable is I'm not even that good a player. Sure, I handle myself at the higher grades, but spent more time on the bench that most of my teammates. Part of the reason I gave up. I suppose I'll take it as a compliment that they didn't want me on the team, first time I've had that problem in hockey.
Bad news about the injury, hope it goes well. I echo Manticle's remarks that I may well lose it if I was ever properly debilitated.

HEAPS of people this year have come in sick and waited until they cough up green stuff before going home. Basically everyone in the office bar me. I have no idea how I've managed to dodge it but seeing as correlation = causation, it's because I've given up the commercial beer and now drink only home brew.

i-a-n said:
Just call me Peter Pan wannabe
If you insist..

I-m-Peter-Pan-in-my-hear-MJ-michael-jackson-28793412-438-523.jpg

On the sport theme.
My other pet hate. "Everyone gets a turn to be player of the match".
My kids rugby side does it. I might be judged as being a bit harsh and doing it this way keeps kids coming back yadda yadda.... But its not sustainable. The kids that keep coming back, knowing they will win the Maccas voucher sooner or later drop off as soon as they realise they dont even like the game.
My boy is good at the game, but there are 3 boys that are fantastic. Those 3 kids could fight it out for the 'player of the day' trophy each week.
One of them in particular scored a couple of tries and made so many try saving tackles it was ridiculous. An amazing effort.
Anyway, another boy was 'awarded' player of the day because it was his turn.... He just looked at it and without saying a word, gave it to the kid who put in the amazing effort.
Brought a tear to a few eyes.
Enough of 'everyone's a winner' - Give it to those that deserve it - EVERY time.
My counter argument to "its nice for everyone to get a turn to be the best" is that those that are the best will get the shits with the system and go elsewhere or not put in as much as they can, knowing its someone elses turn...
We're not fooling these kids. They know theyre not the best, but it breeds a culture of 'If I'm there, I'll be rewarded' which I believe is the attitude I'm seeing with todays trainee's. They seem to think they deserve promotion faster than they earn it. A rant for another afternoon...

My Dad boxed in his younger days and growing up with 4 brothers and a sister we were forced to read Thinking by Walter Wintle, the poem was on the back of the toilet doors and on the fridge, and as we all started to get trophies the poem was framed and was the centre stage of the trophy cabinet.
It wasn't until I was getting older that I realised what the poem meant and it is something that is useful to remember throughout life.

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8624439-Thinking-by-Walter-D-Wintle

wide eyed and legless said:
My Dad boxed in his younger days and growing up with 4 brothers and a sister we were forced to read Thinking by Walter Wintle, the poem was on the back of the toilet doors and on the fridge, and as we all started to get trophies the poem was framed and was the centre stage of the trophy cabinet.
It wasn't until I was getting older that I realised what the poem meant and it is something that is useful to remember throughout life.

http://allpoetry.com/poem/8624439-Thinking-by-Walter-D-Wintle
I like it.
That reminded me. We had a timber piece, 'engraved / burnt' with a statement. "Platonic friendship is the gun you didnt know was loaded" I understand it now, but looking back, its a bit bizarre to have that on your fridge isnt it? I know my folks werent platonic friends before they hooked up.

Fathers photographing their 7yr old sons holding the heads of their enemies in their hands WTF W....................T...................F. Don't let these monsters back in our country.

I have something I'd really like to get off my chest. Phlegm.
Sort of leveled out toward the end of last week but whatever it is has seen me in decline all arvo. Took some pills to dry it up at lunchtime, but succeeded only in turning the free flowing mucus into something the consistency of silicone.
Now the high pressure required to shift it has given me a pounding headache and bleeding nose.
As I don't typically get crook, I'm a miserable winging c*nt when I do. So I'm taking tomorrow off lest I start get short with the customers.

Actually, its more accurate to say I didn't typically get crook until we had kids in day care. That joint is repository of disease.
Snotty little urchins. The lot of em.

..cough..sniff..**** it..

Back