Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you help with Oreos can not understand why they advertise tried once they left a horrible taste in my mouth get the same feeling every time they appear on television.
Yeah, I get the same feeling. They seemed awesome when I was a kid, kind of like Macca's.

I wouldn't be going overboard with the apologies mardoo, retailers don't have to follow suit, there are a lot of retailers doing it tough at the moment. I don't think cyber Monday has caught on yet (has it)

My local has Wings on Wednesday...seems to be working well with a few beers for lunch

Don't forget Taco Tuesday

Emmet Brickowsky.png

Can you help with Oreos can not understand why they advertise tried once they left a horrible taste in my mouth get the same feeling every time they appear on television.
I don't know... if they tasted great maybe they wouldn't need to advertise?

https://craftypint.com/news/1681/confusion-deposit-scheme
"...the new fees – registration plus cost per container plus new labels – would add 30 cents per bottle before the brewery adds any margin, potentially pushing the retail cost of a bottle of IPA from $6 to $7 or $8..."
you think an increase of 30c in production (at most) will see me paying an extra $2 per can?
what innumerate prick that wrote this piece of trash?
although the whole recycling scheme is flawed as it is, only accepting pristine not undamaged containers?
that's pretty short sighted and I assume comes down to laziness and wanting to automate the whole process at reverse vending machines that will reach full capacity when the local derros put their shopping trolleys full of collected cans and bottles in every morning. f**k it!

The useless “what’s in it for me” government arseholes paid a subsidy to dairies in this country to close down. Now overseas investors eg Chinese are buying up nearly all that’s left. So what next, well buy up the ones closed. Thailand’s Dutch Mill has struck a deal to buy Murray Goulburn’s plant in northwest Tasmania. Where will all those products go?
With of the big sell outs done by Politicians you have to wonder what’s in the envelope when they quit or retire as a post dated “thankyoul.

Foreign investment in terms of outright purchase have to approved by government and the rules on such sales are set by parliament by politicians, as I understand.

Foreign investment in terms of outright purchase have to approved by government and the rules on such sales are set by parliament by politicians, as I understand.

Not really, it's the FIRB that approves/declines for foreign investment in Australia and they check applications against regulation and national security interests. Politicians set laws that govern the FIRB but they don't rule on individual applications (they take advice when it comes to national security, as in the Huawei case but I don't think that's the situation with dairies).

If a company wants to sell to an offshore entity as long as they are playing by the rules then you can't really stop them, like China does.

*Disclaimer, I'm no expert in these matters at all and encourage anyone to point out where I might be talking out my arse here.

“Politicians set laws that govern....” isnt that my point, isn’t the laws set by politicians in other countries that don’t allow the out right purchase of land. Perhaps that’s where I may not been clear, it’s not the investment in business purchase but the whole lot, land included.

I think all you need to get approval is a great big $40,000 check and an awards ceremony but that could be too easy

“Politicians set laws that govern....” isnt that my point, isn’t the laws set by politicians in other countries that don’t allow the out right purchase of land. Perhaps that’s where I may not been clear, it’s not the investment in business purchase but the whole lot, land included.

Yeah, we're getting into areas where I will definitely talk out my arse so I should pull back a little. However the seriousness of land purchases are a bit overplayed. There may be some argument about driving prices up but hey, we live in a global market and that's never going to change. Learn how to compete or lose, no one is going to save you in the jungle. But in terms of selling farms and such, why is that a problem? It's not like China, the USA or Switzerland are going to pick it up and take it away (unlike mining....). And if push comes to shove it can always be nationalised as has been done by many countries in the past. We hope it never comes to that but it can if need be.

If you own private land, why shouldn't you be allowed to sell it to whoever you want? If you run a private business, why shouldn't you be allowed to get the best price for it, as long as the national interest isn't challenged?

I see your point about allowing countries to invest in Australia in ways they won't allow us to invest in theirs (waving at China). That is definitely an issue that needs addressing. However I'd argue that the approach isn't to shut off investment in Australia as that just shoots ourselves in the foot. The answer is to convince them to open up to us and those efforts are well under way. The Foreign Policy White Paper released last week goes into some detail on this.

Well Australians are now paying the highest prices for everthing because bloody everything is being exported, a lot of which is by the sale of our land and goods. Explain why Australians should have to pay the highest in the world for its own bloody gas, Australian gas. It’s ******* cheaper in Japan.
I’m getting off this topic because Australia is now about two things, the haves and the have nots, the middle class is gone. Those that think selling off Australia is alright and don’t have a problem with, to me are obviously financially well off as they think it’s alright. Work hard all your bloody life and then live off the pension, ha. We can’t all be filthy rich, someone has to do the hard yards. Like youth, can’t all be technicians, sit behind a desk, work hospitality. There was a a place called manufacturing the supported thousands but no more. Today’s news, Australia has major skill shortage, well ******* pollies most of us plebs could have told you, warned you, bloody years ago.

Last edited:
So a foreign state wants to buy a cattle station. OK? No probs, it's only a wee chunk of this country, in the big scheme of things, and the cocky has had enough of the bloody dust and flies anyway. Gold Coast penthouse here we come!

Then it decides it'd like the adjoining property. OK again? Still a small chunk, really.

Then, and I'm recalling Yes Minister here, the one about "salami tactics", they want to buy an island. Maybe not Tasmania, but let's say, Bribie Island, or Fraser Island. Do you see where I'm going with this?

And just suppose this country (Australia) is deeply in debt to this foreign state, and one day, as the banks are entitled to do, it "calls in the debt". This time it doesn't ask - it demands.

Why invade a country when you can just buy it?

The question still stands, what are they going to do, pick it up and take it back to their country? They either conduct business on the property, which means employing people and paying tax - or they let their investment go to waste. You haven’t actually explained why foreign ownership is bad yet.

As for debt, well if they buy land from Australians isnt it them that’s in debt to us? Secondly, you might want to play your scenario out before giving it credibility: we owe them heaps of money, they “call in their debts”, we default and our currency and status drops through the floor. They’ve just devalued their own investment - fail!

Grott, will respond later but it’s a bit more complex than you make out there.

Latest posts

Back