Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting in the emergency department for 15 hours waiting for a bed in a ward to become available for my sick daughter while watching headlines on the tv about the results of a survey worth how many millions?

Last edited:
Well, we were in Oceania before. I was about to have a cup of victory gin and tune into the two minute hate in my cabbage smelling apartment.

Righto another rant, being a Grandpa entitles me so. The better half and I have been looking at solar panels and thinking mmmm 5kw maybe more due to the ever increasing costs/ charges etc. In SA we basically get fucked over,so imagine my shock when told that as of Friday Dec 1st SA Power Networks will no longer connect ANY residential properties ( as now legislated) over 5kw capacity, it’s been halved from what was allowed.
So, is big business in conjunction with Government legislating that NO person nor family can or will bust a gut to save for, or borrow money to, in the long run save money or lessen their dependence on mains power let alone do their bit for the environment?
This one seems to have flown under the radar, not I keep up with too much as it’s all doom and gloom in the media these days.
Makes a bloke wonder just what the utilities sale contracts fine print contains in this state of SA.
Rant over, G,pa is going to crack a beer now!
That cant be right yeah? Its not right. Also look into it a little more. 5kw may be over doing it. Depends how much you use and when the sun is shining your electricity is free so go hard when the sun is shining like when everyone is maxing their air conditioners etc. Prevent load on mains lines preventing possible fires etc. Solar is inevitable out of logic. As long as logic exists we need it to lower the drain on the mains etc.

ps: I researched a bit before committing (willing to read the manual so to speak) but found this the easy and well informed introduction to solar. No affiliation at all other than being someone who went through the 3 quotes system and so glad I did. There is only good times to get into solar IMO. https://www.solarquotes.com.au/inde...MIx_bh7L7A1wIVEiu9Ch3xiAjDEAAYASAAEgJJkfD_BwE

Last edited:
If you are BIG POWER...would you like lots of smaller generators cutting into your market and you had access to the Government to stop them...think about that for 0.0005 secs
If I was in big business supplying power and I could buy spogs excess power for 5 or 6 cents / kwh and sell it for 20 to 30 cents per hour ( not at home so can't quote any accurate figures) I would jump for it. Power company wins as does spog, and dcecent batteries aren' far off. 5 kw is more than enough. I went through my gas/electricity power bills recently and it came in around $900/ year mainly gas, the gas suppliers are the ones who has us by the short and curlies.

Righto another rant, being a Grandpa entitles me so. The better half and I have been looking at solar panels and thinking mmmm 5kw maybe more due to the ever increasing costs/ charges etc. In SA we basically get fucked over,so imagine my shock when told that as of Friday Dec 1st SA Power Networks will no longer connect ANY residential properties ( as now legislated) over 5kw capacity, it’s been halved from what was allowed.
So, is big business in conjunction with Government legislating that NO person nor family can or will bust a gut to save for, or borrow money to, in the long run save money or lessen their dependence on mains power let alone do their bit for the environment?
This one seems to have flown under the radar, not I keep up with too much as it’s all doom and gloom in the media these days.
Makes a bloke wonder just what the utilities sale contracts fine print contains in this state of SA.
Rant over, G,pa is going to crack a beer now!
What is 5 kw solar only produces for a short period during the day can you have battery and export the 5 kw at the same time.

If I was in big business supplying power and I could buy spogs excess power for 5 or 6 cents / kwh and sell it for 20 to 30 cents per hour ( not at home so can't quote any accurate figures) I would jump for it. Power company wins as does spog, and dcecent batteries aren' far off. 5 kw is more than enough. I went through my gas/electricity power bills recently and it came in around $900/ year mainly gas, the gas suppliers are the ones who has us by the short and curlies.

They would rather get the power for free then try to re sell it

They obviously have reasons why they wont "buy" power from "spog"...they just wont tell us

Yes and the similarities between 1930s Germany and Australia today are truly astounding.

So does that mean we'll shortly be annexing New Zealand and goose stepping down the high street of Wellington in snappy Hugo Boss uniforms as a prelude to some southwestern pacific power grab?

What is 5 kw solar only produces for a short period during the day can you have battery and export the 5 kw at the same time.

Batteries can be installed but we aren’t go there due to the cost, they seem to be getting better and cheaper every year.

My question of the day: Late last week, a piece appeared in the local paper advising motorists to fill up now, as petrol prices were about to skyrocket due to rising global oil prices. And skyrocket they did - up from 121 to 140 overnight. Yet today:

"Oil and 'tax reform' weigh on markets
Falling oil prices have continued to drag down stock markets across Asia, Europe and the United States.

Brent crude has dropped by almost 5 per cent since last week, and weighed heavily on oil and gas stocks globally.

Oil prices continued to decline after the International Energy Agency cut its outlook for oil demand growth — in 2017 and 2018 — by 100,000 barrels per day."

Am I missing something? (Probably am, as I'm just a dumb consumer, not an economist or an oil company exec)

So does that mean we'll shortly be annexing New Zealand and goose stepping down the high street of Wellington in snappy Hugo Boss uniforms as a prelude to some southwestern pacific power grab?
First we will take their breweries, then their coffee shops...

I bags Garage Project.

Fair enough.
I bags Ben Lomomnd, and will construct my own Kehlsteinhaus type lodge at the summit and seize control of the lucrative winter / adrenaline sports sector (including merchandise) and lord it over Queenstown. Which I shall wall off.
I believe Smiths Brewery now falls within this precinct. So we will have to come to some arrangement.

Fair enough.
I bags Ben Lomomnd, and will construct my own Kehlsteinhaus type lodge at the summit and seize control of the lucrative winter / adrenaline sports sector (including merchandise) and lord it over Queenstown. Which I shall wall off.
I believe Smiths Brewery now falls within this precinct. So we will have to come to some arrangement.

Everyone's a benevolent overlord until the get their hands on the keys to the beer cellar.

Fair enough.
Case swap?

Also- will you take hop infused salami and oyster shooters in exchange for ski lift passes?

My question of the day: Late last week, a piece appeared in the local paper advising motorists to fill up now, as petrol prices were about to skyrocket due to rising global oil prices. And skyrocket they did - up from 121 to 140 overnight. Yet today:

"Oil and 'tax reform' weigh on markets
Falling oil prices have continued to drag down stock markets across Asia, Europe and the United States.

Brent crude has dropped by almost 5 per cent since last week, and weighed heavily on oil and gas stocks globally.

Oil prices continued to decline after the International Energy Agency cut its outlook for oil demand growth — in 2017 and 2018 — by 100,000 barrels per day."

Am I missing something? (Probably am, as I'm just a dumb consumer, not an economist or an oil company exec)

All that means is they will restrict supply to keep the price up......like they always do

Latest posts

Back