Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
When the LHBS sells you calcium chloride that's the scented one from Aldi that comes in the de-humidifier refill packs…really? Really??? Grrrrrrrr…
Not sure how that works, but i would be finding a new LHBS pronto

A note to the young gentleman at the train station...

Wearing your hipster flat cap backwards does not make you look both hipster and gangsta at the same time. It simply make you look like an idiot who doesn't know which way round his hat goes.

No socks seems to be a hipster thing these days. And of course no shoelaces is very gangsta. I can see a hipster gangsta trend of no socks and no shoelaces just round the corner.

manticle said:
I always wonder why people don't put their shoes on backwards.
e221a096d7e4de2641664bdeb95d162e.jpg

mofox1 said:
That's more than a little fucked up... they should know better. How about you add a touch to a bottled brew and ask them to drink it?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Not sure how that works, but i would be finding a new LHBS pronto
Yep, I'm giving up on them. I've been buying from local online sellers (Full Pint and Clever) for quite awhile now, as well as site sponsors, and have thought that I really need to give the local shop a bit of my $$$ and support them. This is the third time I've gotten questionable product, out of date fresh yeast at full price (my bad, really, for not checking) or wrong-headed advice. I always give restaurants and shops three tries, but that's enough. Done and guilt-free.

Why is calcium carbonate scented and what were you using it for (blatantly anti chalk brewer here)

Pretty sure I read calcium chloride. I'd be interested to know which LHBS it was as I hope it's not the one I'm thinking of.

Yes. My error.

Calcium chloride.
Question remains - for what purpose does a scented version exist?

Because of the bitter taste it leaves in your mouth when you realise you bought grandma undie deodoriser instead of brewing salt?

manticle said:
Why is calcium carbonate scented and what were you using it for (blatantly anti chalk brewer here)
Calcium chloride is a dessicant and is sold for drawing moisture out of air, in closets and the like. I can only think it's scented because its actual scent isn't what nice ladies who want dry closets want to smell like.

Gotya. Yes it is hygroscopic so now I get it.
And yes - **** off idiot brew shop.
Tell them if you can so unsuspecting brewers don't make lavender ipa.

Scented everything (including loo paper) is a whole other potential rant topic which I will touch on by asking if my arse has a sensitive olfactory system.

manticle said:
Scented everything (including loo paper) is a whole other potential rant topic which I will touch on by asking if my arse has a sensitive olfactory system.
Well does it ?

**** I am outraged my barleywine is so awesome and due to it being a desperate recovery batch, can never be replicated.

I have learnt my documentation lesson!.... I should write everything down. SBOB, you're in for a big mutherflippin barleywine. 10% ABV FG 1031

Rant worthy?.... Don't care what you think! This is a rant....'You should be ashamed of yourself for a brilliant batch that you don't know what happened to make it!'... 'You should be ashamed that $40 of yeast was pitched to vice grip that gravity reading to the ground and the pitch list was lost over the 3 months of ferment and conditioning.'

Ashamed!? Nah what crap.

Damn this world of criticism where Brewers proclaim the constraints on the world view that a full ferment with ideal pitch rates will complete in 5 days..... I'm a home brewer god damn it. Shit is real here. Shit gets random. I'm no Michelangelo. I'm a home brewer.

I brew! And sometimes I brew hard. I brew expensive. And I learn. This shit was worked out hundreds of years ago. And you 48 year olds proclaim awesomeness? Chill out characters!

My barleywine is proof that I am not ideal. I am not commercially exact. I am not standard model. Cos screw that... Welcome to home brewing. Aussie Home Brewer dot com. I spent months, money, time, conversations, and got support to save this barleywine.

That's home brewing. In my judgement this is a succulent, viscous, port esque, elegant yet powerful barleywine. And I will share for criticism because..... Science!

I get sick to death of the expectation that brewing needs to be done in an ideal way. The journey into good beer is all that matters.

Your own journey into good beer is all that matters. And who you do that with! Your mates, your brewing mates.

Stupid bloody awesome barleywine!

Edit: I'm happy for any type of reply. As some of you may see, I'm not irrevocably aligned to the above. Just a damn good rant point.

Back