Connecting font line to beer line

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7

Reaction score
Hey all,

For those of you that have fonts that already have the rigid beer line that has an OD of 5mm roughly (don't have calipers to properly measure), what do you use to connect them to your beer line? At the moment I have just pushed the my beer line over the rigid line and used a hose clamp to keep it in place. This however, is dodgy and does not look very professional. Any one have suggestions? I was thinking JG fittings, but which one? then I will also have to find new suitable line as well. All suggestions welcome!

I just pushed the line over the barb on the tap and clamped it. Didn't have the proper clamping tool so I hold little faith in the clamp. But the beer line hasn't popped off and probably never will cos its a very tight fit to begin with.

manson81 said:
I just pushed the line over the barb on the tap and clamped it. Didn't have the proper clamping tool so I hold little faith in the clamp. But the beer line hasn't popped off and probably never will cos its a very tight fit to begin with.
Cheers for your input mate. Different thing though unfortunately. The tap fits into a snaplock fitting which is part of the font which already has about 3 feet or so of a rigid beer line and I'm wanting to connect my line to that line.

What type of font? Cobra?

The andale type fonts I saw/used didn't have rigid lines but ports you pass line through to the back of the snaplock. Someone put up a picture of their cobra font fitted to a kegerator and there seemed to be rigid lines coming out of the bottom and I think JG fittings.

Do a search for 'fitting cobra font to kegerator'.

practicalfool said:
What type of font? Cobra?

The andale type fonts I saw/used didn't have rigid lines but ports you pass line through to the back of the snaplock. Someone put up a picture of their cobra font fitted to a kegerator and there seemed to be rigid lines coming out of the bottom and I think JG fittings.

Do a search for 'fitting cobra font to kegerator'.
Not too sure what brand to be honest, but probably very similar to Andale. When you take of the snaplock fitting it has another part that the line is attached to. I just think replacing all of the line is going to be a major hassle otherwise I would just do that. Font pick and line pics below.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403911486.270297.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403911563.292260.jpg

That's a beautiful font (& setup).

That isn't however rigid line. In the name of sanitation I'd recommend replacing that line. It is only plastic line and has likely gone hard over time. You might need to out up a few more pictures of where the line comes out of the font at the bottom and likely one of the more experienced guys (I believe some members on here have fitted commercial bars) should be able to comment.

I will look at pulling it apart today and see how I go. Makes sense that it's just old line that's gone hard. Just read the line and it says Valpar Flexmaster II 'illegible numbers' then 7mm x 5mm. So at least I know which line to replace it with.

practicalfool said:
That's a beautiful font (& setup).

That isn't however rigid line. In the name of sanitation I'd recommend replacing that line. It is only plastic line and has likely gone hard over time. You might need to out up a few more pictures of where the line comes out of the font at the bottom and likely one of the more experienced guys (I believe some members on here have fitted commercial bars) should be able to comment.
Hey mate, just wanted to thank you for your insight. Pulled the font apart and once I get new line I will replace it and detail the process I use in case somebody else out there ends up in the same position as me.

An afterthought from me - If you used a joiner to connect the old, original hose, it would likely create turbulence and foaming anyway.

Best to get the right length of line, and swap it out.Good choice indeed.

I have a 6 tap font that needs the same, and may be done next week with help from the lhbs.

You are welcome.

I'd recommend getting standard 3/8" outer diameter line. That is 8mm od. 6mm ID will be least painful to get over barbs too. 5mm ID is good for reducing line length (constriction causes pressure drop, means you need less length to drop from keg pressure to atmospheric so it doesn't foam at outlet).

The 3/8" or 8mm OD will also work perfectly with common john guest fittings.

That is a very beautiful font/bar setup.

Its all pretty easy, just a bit of mucking around.

PM me if you have any dramas and I can step you through what I did.

practicalfool said:
That is a very beautiful font/bar setup.
Cheers! Used to be my workbench that I got free from kerbside cleanup, decided it work work better as a bar and after a little elbow grease there she is. Will post better pics when it's all back together. How would you rate the Flexmaster II line? Gonna order from Craftbrewer shortly.

Should be good, no dramas. I got all mine from him when I lived in brissy.

I had a similar issue.
I cut off about 20mm of line from the font and took it into my LHB store.
Found a John Guest fitting that matched and purchased some beer line to suit.

Replaced the line last night and the Valpar super flex is much more rigid than I was expecting. Wasn't too bad to deal with though. I didn't get pics of the process due to time restraints but I basically connected the new line to the old line with tape, and then pulled it through, very easy if there is existing line to replace. However, one time the tape pulled off so I had to improvise. I got 40lb fishing line and put a sinker on the end and put that down the hole where the taps goes and coaxed it through the bottom hole of the font. I then attached the new beer line to the fishing line and pulled it through. Easy done. Had a beer last night and was very pleased with the new line. Will clean the bar and post pics of it tonight.

Super Nintendo !

Gotta be Mario Cart in there? Just the job with a few beers.

Back