Connecting Filter To Outside Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
I've got a Craftbrewer Beer Filter and I figure I could use this to filter water for brewing as well, with an appropriate filter. I have filtered water available in the kitchen, but frankly the lugging of filtered water in cubes from the kitchen to the garage is not an enjoyable component of my brew day.

While browsing Bunnings recently I noticed they sell rolls of hose in the gardening section that are designed specifically for the carriage of drinking water.

prd_231.jpg

So how do I go about connecting the inlet side of the beer filter to the garden hose? The inlet side is designed to take 8mm beer line, so I need some sort of adaptor for connecting 8mm beer line to the blue hose.

I was thinking of something like this John Guest fitting. I assume that one of those fittings is designed to have the 12mm water hose pushed (and clamped) over the stem, and then the 5/16th beer line in the JG end.

Picture_1.png

Im not sure, but the john guest fitting motioned does sound like a good idea if it fits.

Ill be looking at this thread cos I wouldnt mind doing a similar thing when I get a filter like that one.

Do these filters change the water much? Ie does it remove hardness etc for making pilsners?

Cheers
Al

Do these filters change the water much? Ie does it remove hardness etc for making pilsners?
No, You need reverse osmosis for that.
Carbon filtering helps remove chlorine, and other trace elements (metal ions), and bacteria (Giardia, etc.).

If you don't have to go too far, and have enough pressure to push thruogh - why not just use 8mm rather than that hose all the way?
Or does this just take your connection problem to the source end?

Check with CB but pretty sure those housings are not rated for mains water pressure

Screwy

Check with CB but pretty sure those housings are not rated for mains water pressure

Screwy

Yeah most aren't, but usually the addition of a pressure limiting valve will solve that issue.

Your local water filter shop will have a JG fitting that will thread onto a standard tap thread, which shouldnt be hard to get on the end of your hose (!)

No, You need reverse osmosis for that.
Carbon filtering helps remove chlorine, and other trace elements (metal ions), and bacteria (Giardia, etc.).

Cool, had thought that this may be the case.

Seems a bit of a false economy really. Most plumbing and irrigation places will sell you a filter housing for around $30 that will readily accept your standard half inch fittings these days.

Saves an unnecessary trashing of your beer filter. ;)

Warren -

Yes indeedy, I just came across this, which I guess is sort of what you are talking about.

98e3_12.JPG

Latest posts

Back