Complete Noob - Need Help With My Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No point starting a new thread, but I've got another, yet another broken hydrometer.
This time, luckily, the break is right up the top, so it's still, "usable".

I just took a reading of tap water and got .988
I then took a reading of the oatmeal stout I just brewed and got 1044.
So, would you just add in the missing 12 points (making the stout OG 1056) or would some other factors come into play?
Cheers in advance.
Pete

pete,
i would expect the error should be linear so a 12 point error at 1.000 should be a 12 point error at 1.055. Maybe you could mix up a starter wort at the 100g/ litre which should give you about 1.030, it wont be very accurate but it could give an indication and also be sure to measure the temp of the liquid and try and get it to the calibration temp on the hydrometer.

cheers steve

Mine is out by 2, it's linear, just add 2 to all the readings.

Ok so now I am confused. Got the same result and the instructions says to add 33. What is the difference and how is 1044 wrong?
Sorry AF, wasn't having a go at you.
OK, a reading of 11P at 27C =11+.33 = 11.33P
11.33P x 4 = 1.045 SG

The actual equation is {Plato/(258.6-([Plato/258.2]*227.1)}+1 = Specific gravity

Nige

No need to appologize Nige I didn't think you were having a go at me, I just didn't know the difference when the same outcome occurred. I can see now thanks to your clarification.

:icon_chickcheers:

pete,
i would expect the error should be linear so a 12 point error at 1.000 should be a 12 point error at 1.055. Maybe you could mix up a starter wort at the 100g/ litre which should give you about 1.030, it wont be very accurate but it could give an indication and also be sure to measure the temp of the liquid and try and get it to the calibration temp on the hydrometer.

cheers steve
Nah, I think it's easier getting a new hydrometer Steve!

Latest posts

Back