Complete Newbie To Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only have to learn the jargon once.. it's hardly complicated.

Sure if you're a non-brewer you don't really GAF and don't need to learn it, but for new brewers it's pretty simple to learn. You can type any brewing acronym or term into google and learn what it means in under a minute.

You could learn all the computer programming 3LAs (three letter acronyms :D) really easily too. Just look 'em up.

However, relating them to their process, or device, or abstract concept is a real fuckin' hard, if you don't learn them in the process of using what they stand for.

IMO, it's best to leave them out initially. They filter in eventually, and when they do they stick like shit to a kitten.

Say HLT.

The hot is simple.

Sometimes it's liquor (WTF? that's something for sprits?) or liquid, so the 3LA isn't even standardised.

Then there are the folks who call it an HL Tun, not tank. So WTF is a tun?

Screw it. This is too hard. Where's my can opener?

Say HLT.

The hot is simple.

Sometimes it's liquor (WTF? that's something for sprits?) or liquid, so the 3LA isn't even standardised.

Then there are the folks who call it an HL Tun, not tank. So WTF is a tun?

Screw it. This is too hard. Where's my can opener?

Kettle/Pot/Copper/Boiler

That thing you boil the sugary stuff in

"trub" is actually German for "lees" and should be pronounced along the lines of "troob", not "trerb" or "trab" as many Australians would.
Also I'm wondering about "Fermentor" as opposed to "Fermenter" - the rationale being that a device that does something is usually an "or" such as Carburettor in American usage, but "er" in Commonwealth English - Carburetter. I rather like the UK term "FV" which is also gaining some currency here.

A tun is an Anglo Saxon word for barrel, I grew up just north of Hadrian's wall and at the nearby village of Heddon-On-the-Wall has a pub "The Three Tuns" dating back to the 18th Century when General Wade built the Military Road to rush troops to curb Jacobite Uprisings up the road in Scotland. There are several Three Tuns hotels in the North of England.

I grew up just north of Hadrian's wall and at the nearby village of Heddon-On-the-Wall has a pub "The Three Tuns" dating back to the 18th Century when

I thought Adrian's wall was to keep the rabbits out?
Wasn't the "three Huns" was it?

I thought Adrian's wall was to keep the rabbits out?
Wasn't the "three Huns" was it?

No, it was the Roman Wall

great_wall.jpg

howed you go with getting the grain

hi mate, planning on going tomorrow to get supplies to do my first brew :)

because I dont have much grain I will give my blender/chopper a go, if no luck I will take up your offer

PM me your number mate

cheers

I agree, only a fool would dive into anything without at least a little research first. But you don't need to know the ins and outs of anything to follow a process.

Point number 1 is all I mean.

Point number 2 is definitely not what I mean.

If people can do it without freaking out when not everything goes by the book then absolutely go for it. Ultimately it's the brewer's choice on how they make their beer and whether they enjoy the results.

I'd recommend AG to anyone even vaguely interested but I won't insist on it.

brew day went well.....i think
still in the fermenter at this stage but looks like i may be bottling soon as i got 1010 the other night, will check again on weekend
went with a wheat beer first off, first taste is not bad so cant wait till couple weeks after bottling

cheers

Back