Common problems with fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
My fermenting/cold conditioning fridge is not working.

I have:

Unplugged from the stc-1000 to confirm it is not an issue with the external thermostat

Replugged back into a known working socket

Left unplugged overnight then replugged (twice)

Changed the internal setting from hottest to coolest, back again and then again.

Sworn at it.

Kicked it.

Anything else I can try before either getting a fridge mechanic out or getting a new fridge? I am handy-ish with basic tools but have no electrical experience and would prefer not to die. Fridge is an old Lemair fridge/freezer unit, small (singler domestic fridge, fits one cube or two kegs).

Cheers

You have exhausted all my trouble shoot tips for fridges, though perhaps you swore in the wrong language try Chinese or Japanese. I'd be hunting a new unit or calling the fridgy.

Sounds like the original fridge thermostat has given up.
You can test it by removing it and bypassing it pretty easily.

One of the most common problems with brewers fridges is that they drill holes in them

So the fridge motor isn't cutting in at all? Or it's cutting in and not getting cold?

No sign of the motor kicking in at all and there are no holes in this fridge, ducati.

JT - how do I do that?

Find a mate with a multi-meter or right arm/left shoulder the fridge.

If the motor isn't kicking in at all and it's nothing obvious it's probably cheaper buying another used fridge.

Similar thing has happened to my fermenting fridge and I've been wondering what to do. Anyone have any idea how much it is to get a fridgie out to have a look to tell me if it is worth fixing/quote?

I had a PTC relay fail and was able to replace it cheaply but I only figured that out cuz it went bzzzzzzzzzzzt and started smoking. The arc had cut a neat line through the relay so was easy to identify. Prior to this failing the fridge tripped an overload switch located on the back of the fridge that I had to reset a couple of times. I was afraid the compressor was starting to draw too much current but its been fine for almost two years.
If you're not confident in your electrical skills or don't like to put blind faith in googles infinite electrical advice (zap!) probably easier to source another.

I wouldn't expect change from a hunge for the call out..

Tough call to make, get another off eBay / gumtree for same/less

Ducatiboy stu said:
Unless you know how to read a cct diagram then dont
OK. As mentioned I have zero electricity knowledge/experience so I won't be touching anything that requires it.

manticle said:
OK. As mentioned I have zero electricity knowledge/experience so I won't be touching anything that requires it.
A vary wise move

Yob said:
I wouldn't expect change from a hunge for the call out..
Thought so. Might just get rid of it and get a new one. Maybe Aldi will have another chesty sale soon.

I had a vague glimmer of hope just now when I realised it's plugged into a long extension that was coiled out of sight out the back.

Unplugged, replugged, turned off the yeast fridge so I could hear properly AND......................

Nothing. Still fucked. Will give it till tomorrow then look at a newy. I like my beers warmer and on tap is an English bitter but 25 degrees is pushing it even for me.

Yes, it does require a bit knowledge on electricity. So if you're not sure, leave it or get someone else to do it.

A replacement thermostat would be around $30-$40 if you did it yourself and sourced the part. But to have a fridgy look at it you could be paying up to $200 I'd guess.

Sounds like you could bypass it completely and allow the external thermostat to control it.

My last two acquisitions were given to me as they were destined for the tip, both about 10yo. An upright frost free freezer, good as gold with a new $30 thermostat. And my 520L upside down frost-free 6 keg fridge, good as gold with a $10 part!

Latest posts

Back