Common problems with fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
I had a vague glimmer of hope just now when I realised it's plugged into a long extension that was coiled out of sight out the back.

Unplugged, replugged, turned off the yeast fridge so I could hear properly AND......................

Nothing. Still fucked. Will give it till tomorrow then look at a newy. I like my beers warmer and on tap is an English bitter but 25 degrees is pushing it even for me.
You would be surprised how well fridges work as a big esky... A few 2 litre containers of frozen water (AKA ice) will chill and maintain "cellar" temps for quite a period.

Yeah I'm likely to keep it around as an extra fermentation chamber since I need to use the main fridge for fermenting, cold conditioning AND kegging. I'm sure the occasional keg might be stored in there as well.

Yes, it does require a bit knowledge on electricity. So if you're not sure, leave it or get someone else to do it.

A replacement thermostat would be around $30-$40 if you did it yourself and sourced the part. But to have a fridgy look at it you could be paying up to $200 I'd guess.

Sounds like you could bypass it completely and allow the external thermostat to control it.

My last two acquisitions were given to me as they were destined for the tip, both about 10yo. An upright frost free freezer, good as gold with a new $30 thermostat. And my 520L upside down frost-free 6 keg fridge, good as gold with a $10 part!

Your quite correct, simply pop out the old thermostat and see if it has 2 wires and if it dose then unplug them and plug/rewire them into the cool contacts of your STC-1000 then give your stc some power on the power lugs only (dont wire across to the cool or heat contacts like normal).

That will only work if the thermostat is gone though, if the compressor is gone you have a new esky! :lol:

So unplug it from the wall and tell us how many wires your thermostat has?

I reported the other day of my sucesses on scoring good old modern fridges by hanging round the loading bay at our local Harvey Normans. They offer to take away your old fridge for free. Seems people often buy a new fridge not because the old one doesn't work anymore, not because they want to upgrade/

If you don't come across as a dickhead and if you happen to buy something, the guys don't seem to complain about you taking the old ones.

punkin said:
If you don't come across as a dickhead. What about us dickheads, we need fridges to :lol:
The replacing the thrermo method is exactly what I done Man-tickles. I had prior knowledge with auto-electricity though, so I was probably a lil more confident than you, but can really hurt while the fridge is unplugged to take a gander. Replaced the thermo on my current keg fridge and i can turn it right down now and it sits right on freeze point, perfect for chilling them VB tinnies for summer :p

That was 3-4 year ago when I done that, and as of yesterday arvo its still pouring coldies and gets cooler then my fancy brushed stainless fridge in the kitchen.

Just join the two wires togethor and see if it goes. A thermostat is just a fancy switch.

There could be other reasons. Without looking at the cct diagram its a bit hard to offer much mpre help

Back