Commercial Soup/stoke Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
I have been offered a commercial type kettle used for making stocks and soups Its about 80ltr capacity all stainless steel, sort of looks like a slightly smaller washing machine with a big tap on the front. I'll get some pics later. It has come from a commercial kitchen so its 3 phase power and was hard plumbed. I think I should grab it now and worry about what to do with it later. It seems to good an opportunity to pass up but I don't want a white elephant sitting around for years till I toss it. I'm told replacement cost of a new unit would be about $5000 - $ 7000 but it is to big for the owners needs ATM, to much waste apparently.

First up trying to get an idea if its worth mucking around with I'll pose a few questions

Can it be easily converted to single phase power and how much for sparky?
Running costs and efficiency of boiler as it would have to run through std 10amp house circuit, Possible? or install 20amp in house $?
Cut out just the tub, take out electrical heaters, chuck plumbing and set up gas burner. Thoughts?

I haven't looked inside the guts of it yet so I don't know heaters, watts or any tech stuff yet.
I would be interested if anyone has any experience with one of these or similar.
Any advice comments ideas welcome and appreciated. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Edit; Whoops! Topic should be stock boiler.

The only 3 Ph heaters have come across had three 1800W elements, one for each phase, so it should be easy for you to run your single phase to one element, but you need to look at it. With only 1800/2000W available, it would be inadequate as a boiler for that volume but would be OK as a HLT if you switched it on early enough. A few of the guys on this forum run two elements from power points in different parts of the house making sure they are on different lines. That would save a lot of "standing around" time and once you have attained your desired temps you can drop one circuit out.

Any chance of taking the elements out & using a gas burner under it.

Any chance of taking the elements out & using a gas burner under it.

Yeh thats what I was thinking rude.

Thanks for that info Tony.
Aparently its called a bratpan. :icon_cheers:
Daz

80L electric urn? That sounds like BIAB double batches to me :)

80L electric urn? That sounds like BIAB double batches to me :)

Absolutely! leiothrix.
Im going to grab it and have a look inside. It's all still in working order just needs some new feet a few compression fittings and a power supply.
I could flog it and use the cash (for brew gear) or stash it till I have settled in new home.
Of course there is nothing to say it has to do 80ltrs. Should be OK for std 23ltr upward.
Daz

Latest posts

Back