Commercial Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
Going over to dan murphy's in about 20 minutes and just want to pick up a commercial IPA to see what they are like (as I have never tasted one)

Thanks guys

PS - I am asking this as I have never seen an IPA over at dan murphy's and want to ask the 'more beer clued up shop assistant' (they all have one) where is the 'insert commercial IPA name here'?

I know james squire have one. I havent had it for a while but i remember it being pretty nice

Barons IPA is one of the poorest IPA's ive ever tried. More of a bland lager then an ipa

personally have not found a commercial IPA that is easy to get in any stores some of the beer website have some very good examples of both english and american versions but at dans i think that you will get directed to James Squire not a bad beer but there are better IPA's out there

Dan's often have Gage Roads IPA and Squires IPA. Can't think of any others they regularly have.

1st Choice sometimes have the Mountain Goat IPA - seems more of a US IPA - more my preference. Or a Green King IPA.

Give the GR and JS IPAs a go though - see what you think.

Caledonian Deuchars IPA is one I have found few times.

As well as all above mentioned...JSIPA probably being the most common...I have managed to get ahold of a bottle of Emersons IPA at Dans before.
If you do talk to a shop assistant, they might be able to get a case of Murrays 2IPA in for you. I managed to do so with the Grand Cru but I HIGHLY doubt it with the 2IPA!

I got the Gage Road IPA.

Got them cooling now and will have a few whilst watching some heros!

Am actually quite looking forward to trying this style of beer

Caledonian Deuchars IPA is a great beer, but it is more an IPA by name. Greene King IPA is in the same boat.

I think that they would both be classed as (Ordinary?) Bitters.

if you can get it try Holgate Imperial IPA (got to www.holgatebrewhouse.com) from Woodend. Being an imperial IPA it has ahell of a lot more going for it than the likes of Deuchars which I think lacks any hop punch at all. Freshness is king with keeping the hops in IPA's so crossing an ocean with it cant be a good thing. The Bridge Road Brewers in Beechworth also do a couple of IPA's, prety agressive and not as ballanced as Holgate but still the length of the straight in front of the imported Pommy stuff.

These two might be a bit hard to get at Dan Murphy's, but some tend to stock a decent selection of English imports. See if you can find White Shield IPA. Been a while since I've been to a Dan Murphy's and I can't remember their range, but I've seen it at several smaller bottle shops. Worth getting if you can find it.

The other one I think is great is the Samuel Smith India Ale (Actually I think all of the Samuel Smith beers are amazing, esp. the RIS). I've found this harder to find than the White Shield, so you might not have any luck on this one at Dan Murphy's.

As far as one's Dan Murphy's will definately stock, I'd go the James Squire, the Mountain goat is pretty good too.

James

I got the Gage Road IPA.

Got them cooling now and will have a few whilst watching some heros!

Am actually quite looking forward to trying this style of beer

The Gage Road IPA is alright but there are better options, not available at Dan Murphys though.

Cloudwine (Melbourne), International Beer Shop (Perth) & Purvis (Melbourne) all have websites where you can browse the range and order online or even just give them a call. LOTS more options and better options too. That goes for all beer styles by the way, not just IPA.

Jamieson The Beast IPA is my current favourite commercial IPA.

White Shield is a very very good one but if you can find it somewhere else, Dan Murphy's don't have it, Meantime IPA is I believe the best commercial one around in Aus, although I haven't tasted many local ones admittedly...
The Murray's is very good but it is very much a Double or Imperial IPA.

I was also always a little disappointed by JS IPA until I had it on tap. It really seemed to have a lot more hop flavour on tap.

I could not for the life of me find a commercial kolsch in dans the other day, looked for ageeees.

I didnt like Gage Roads IPA when I first tasted it as it was an IPA that i expected... but on a hot summers day its actually a lovely beer.

My favourite IPA is the Sail and Anchors... sadly they don't bottle it.

Also try 1st Choice Liquor. They are Coles' answer to Dan Murphys (Woolies). Put it this way, 1st Choice is to Liquorland as Dan is to BWS. They have a spectacular beer range.

I tried some James Squires IPA last night (kiwi in Melbourne for ANHC). Not bad for a readily available commercial drop. Not nearly hoppy enough for my taste, but firmly bitter with some pleasant marmalade notes, reasonably full in the mouth too. Definitely leaning towards an English interpretation. You could do a lot worse.

For the Adelaideans, Cellarbrations on Fullarton Rd, Fullarton has the white shield IPA as well as a few others IIRC. Best range of pommy beers i have seen in a bottle shop. Sadly i no longer work within coowee of the place. :(

I do have a bottle of white shields IPA i bought a few months ago to see if it gets any better with age....

White Shield is a very very good one but if you can find it somewhere else, Dan Murphy's don't have it, Meantime IPA is I believe the best commercial one around in Aus,
I was also always a little disappointed by JS IPA until I had it on tap. It really seemed to have a lot more hop flavour on tap.
+1 for White Shield and Meantime IPA. Both good, but the meantime is probably better.

Mountain Goat IPA is very nice, and I recently reacquainted myself with James Squire IPA and found it very nice too.

For those in Brisbane, The Wine Emporium in the Valley (towards the Bowen Hills end) stock the Meantime and Mountain Goat range. I can't remember where I got White Shield, but it was probably the Dan Murphy's at Middle Park.

Latest posts

Back