Commercial Fridge: Yes or No?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.. I bought the stainless fridge. What I didn't anticipate was just how big of a task it would be to go get it.
Deceased estate so they didn't care much for sticking on the advertised price. Got it for $380 but I reckon they'd have taken half that if it meant getting rid of the thing - but I wasn't about to haggle further, they were pretty rough people. I brought four mates with me mostly for company and to admire the new bling.. it turned out that we were all needed to get the job done. It was so effing heavy - and taller than the door frame of the tiny room they had it in.
Anyway.. I'll be turning it on tomorrow and giving it a good clean. It's in good nick considering the craphole I bought it from.

Bargain!
Did you see it running, or is this going to turn into a scene out of the movie Snatch, where the caravan wheels fell off and they tried to get the money back off the pikeys .... er, travellers?

Haha.. yep saw it running. Noise isn't too bad either but due to the sheer size of the thing, it's found a home in the shed anyway.

If it's similar to the Orford I have, you might find that if you remove the lower grille you can then unbolt and slide the condensing unit out of the fridge. Makes it easy for cleaning and you can check if anything has made a home [emoji193]inside it at any stage.

To be honest I can't actually find the model number. There's one on the condenser I think, TA100, but Dr Google doesn't have any results for that

Turns out it doesn't matter.. The compressor is burned out.

Now to decide whether to spring a grand to fix it or call it a $380 cabinet..

Yeah.. Super disappointing. I was lied to as well, the seller told me it worked, but that's always the risk with such things

Unlucky, didn't you say you saw it running. Does the compressor run at all?

I saw it running yeah, the compressor runs but doesn't cool. They told me it wasn't cool because they'd turned it on just prior

Got a leak in the system by the sounds of it then, could be worth getting someone to check it out to see if it's an easy fix or atleast vac it out, gas it up and see how long it lasts

Had a fridgie over during the week, he confirmed a burned out compressor. Just waiting for the full quote for repair but it won't be pretty.. Apparently some of the controllers are from the 80s and need replacement too

That doesn't sound right, if the compressor runs then it is not burnt out.
Edit: May be the sound of the fan that is causing you to think the compressor is running. If not then I would get a second opinion.

That's what I was going to say, might pay to get someone else to have a look at it. Also the controllers shouldn't be an issue, they will only be high and low pressure safety's and a thermostat. If it's set up right it will all run off the thermostat. Personally I would plug it in and feel the compressor to make sure it's actually running before you go any further.

When I had it plugged in, the fan was running and the compressor was warm to the touch. The fridgie drew my attention to a repetitive clicking noise that apparently was the unit attempting to start. He seemed to know what he was on about but then again, many incompetent individuals do (it's how I earn my nice paychecks after all)

caveat emptor

Once a person (most people) become a seller, they are selling it for a reason, if it's working and serving a purchase, why sell it?
Once a person becomes a seller, they want to sell it, they will promote the pro's over the cons. They become, (for lack of a better term), politicians! Selling something they know is not true, (google the term (double speak) pollies use it all the time. The meaning of this basically (up=down...will support=wont support) - what the seller/politicians are saying is the opposite to what they mean.
So in this case, he said "It's working" - in reality it doesn't.
e.g. - If you go to an auction and there it a piece of paper stuck to the item, saying "works well"? - does it really?

caveat emptor

Once a person (most people) become a seller, they are selling it for a reason, if it's working and serving a purchase, why sell it?
Once a person becomes a seller, they want to sell it, they will promote the pro's over the cons. They become, (for lack of a better term), politicians! Selling something they know is not true, (google the term (double speak) pollies use it all the time. The meaning of this basically (up=down...will support=wont support) - what the seller/politicians are saying is the opposite to what they mean.
So in this case, he said "It's working" - in reality it doesn't.
e.g. - If you go to an auction and there it a piece of paper stuck to the item, saying "works well"? - does it really?
There is the other side of that coin too (wrong phrase). The steal/buy, or the giveaway/sale. Although its hardly 50/50 on those scenarios.
Your example is the most common.

mtb sir, I still think you have a good buy here. Second opinion and quotes would be the next step lMO. With this type of thing quotes can really vary and you are a bargain hunter.

Latest posts

Back