Commercial Fridge: Yes or No?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. It'll be nowhere near a bedroom - so noise isn't a big concern. I'll definitely go check it out when running to be sure it doesn't sound like an injured boar or something.

Assuming it checks out on inspection.. I'll bite the bullet and buy it this weekend.

mtb is a bit quite here, I reckon he's gone to pick it up. ( swmbo is probably out )
They're keen enough to sell it that they agreed to deliver it for me. Not bad considering the size of the thing

And you'll tell the lovely wife, "they were going to throw it out and were on the way to the dump when I stopped them and said bring here. I'll set up the TV for you now dear."

Not to put a downer on it but they are power hungry. I've got one that I used to use all the time to run multiple fermenters at once in, then cold crash and keg. After getting a few power bills that were getting out of hand for various reasons I finally checked the power draw on it. It was pulling 4-5 amps when running. It's now a ornament in the shed that gets brought back to life for party's etc and I use a 500l f&p for kegs and store the hops in the freezer, it only draws 1 amp. Personally if you have the space for that I'd get two or three domestic fridges instead

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1505359621.360920.jpg

I now run two fermenters in the vb fridge (1.8amps) and have 4 kegs in the white fridge conditioning (1amp). Also have a kegerator up the house with another 3 kegs in , hence the power bill getting out of hand . I'm on the look out to replace the vb fridge to something more efficient

View attachment 108331
I now run two fermenters in the vb fridge (1.8amps) and have 4 kegs in the white fridge conditioning (1amp). Also have a kegerator up the house with another 3 kegs in , hence the power bill getting out of hand . I'm on the look out to replace the vb fridge to something more efficient

I wouldn't think a fridge just used for fermenting would use that much power? It shouldn't have to be on much to maintain ale temps, unless its really shit.

I wouldn't think a fridge just used for fermenting would use that much power? It shouldn't have to be on much to maintain ale temps, unless its really shit.

Right and wrong. The fridge will draw that current regardless of what the set point is if the compressor and in my case the fans are running. Obviously it cycles off for quite sometime when only trying to achieve 15-18 degrees. Even my double door cycles of when set at 1 degree via the stc I've wired in place of the factory thermostat and it's inside the shed in fnq. Commercial fridges are one of the most inefficient ways to refrigerate anything due to the construction. The point I was trying to make is if room isn't an issue your going to be far better off with domestic fridges but just don't get the wow factor. Iv contemplated ditching the lot and building a small coldroom

I need to test mine I guess. It is set at 1.7c and I don't really hear it going much. But now I'm worried.

Right and wrong. The fridge will draw that current regardless of what the set point is if the compressor and in my case the fans are running. Obviously it cycles off for quite sometime when only trying to achieve 15-18 degrees. Even my double door cycles of when set at 1 degree via the stc I've wired in place of the factory thermostat and it's inside the shed in fnq. Commercial fridges are one of the most inefficient ways to refrigerate anything due to the construction. The point I was trying to make is if room isn't an issue your going to be far better off with domestic fridges but just don't get the wow factor. Iv contemplated ditching the lot and building a small coldroom

The amount of energy (warmth) drawn into the fridge from outside is proportional to the delta in temperature. Because at 18c its much closer to the temp of outside, it won't draw in as much energy and so it will take less energy (electricity) to cool it down.

I can guarantee you that the fridge would run more often and for longer if it was trying to maintain its normal operating temperature (around 4c).

You can put the taps in the fridge. I've done it in my three door.
Also think about some insulation on the inside or outside of the doors. Not sexy but more efficient.
IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1835.JPG

The amount of energy (warmth) drawn into the fridge from outside is proportional to the delta in temperature.

If I may, the point he was making is that while the compressor is running, the power consumption is essentially static (max) - there's no proportionality, it's either ON or OFF. The second point is that commercial appliances lack the insulation of consumer/residential models (especially those with glass doors) and will, on the whole, be much more expensive to operate - compounded by the fact they'll typically have much more power hungry and less efficient compressors.

Other considerations...

Beverage appliances don't need to cool to food-safe temperatures - will this model even get down anywhere close to 4 degrees?

If the glass is tempered, it's not going to be able to be drilled.

$650, even in AUD, is a lot of money for storing 6 kegs. Residential appliances should be much easier to come by from a much lower price point, perhaps starting at $0 (and as mentioned above, lower running costs)

IMO, the reason to get this type of fridge is the bling-factor of the glass door, ignoring the negatives.

Last edited:
$650, even in AUD, is a lot of money for storing 6 kegs.
Ten kegs*

An update, however.. I've decided to not go ahead with the purchase. It is a lot of money to spend on a fridge and there are too many uncertain variables.
There is, however, another commercial fridge for sale nearby - and they're asking $500 but strongly advising that it's negotiable. Could probably snag it for $350 - $400.

I'll be visiting this weekend to grab a model number and dig up some info, but at almost half the cost of the Schweppes one, this is more appealing.

Attach7423_20170914_111107
fVi5MHo.jpg

Looks good and better with a polish. Will fit a few kegs I would say. Out of interest say it fits 10 kegs per the other, how many taps do you think you will fit?

Agreed, could use some TLC and it'll come up reeeeal shiny. I plan on installing no more than four taps; I brew a double batch of almost every beer I make, so at any given point in time I anticipate having four doubles in the fridge, ready to connect when the first one blows. Now I just have to find some taps.. feck that's gonna be expensive, I can't find them on Gumtree locally like I do fridges and brew gear.

You might have to put a wanted ad on Gumtree nationally (postage shouldn't be that much). Also are you friendly at the local pub, they could have a box of used taps as they replace, upgrade etc. (seals might be required). Put an wanted ad on here in Buy and Sell.

I'm a Frequent Flyer at the local metal bar, I might check in there. Good idea!

Latest posts

Back