Commercial Fridge: Yes or No?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
I've managed to haggle down a Schweppes commercial fridge to a comfortable $650;
$_35.JPG

The main reasons for me intending to purchase it are;
- I need the extra keg storage, since I intend on having 6 kegs on tap at any given point in time,
- I assume two separate fridges of similar combined capacity consumes more power than one of these,
- It looks cool.

I now need someone to tip me either way, with either a reason to buy or a reason to not. Maintainability could be an issue for example, fridge techs aren't cheap and I don't know how long I should expect this guy to run without a service.

Your opinions are appreciated - especially if you've gone down a similar route in the past.

Can you take a pic of the controller mate? Or tell us which brand it is?

I am assuming that the fridge is an Orford make, or a Sanden Intercool. If it is a Sanden, it will likely have an Eco Friendly controller, which tells the fridge to go into sleep mode under certain conditions. When it is in sleep mode, it will only maintain a temp of around 8°C. You will need a fridgie who knows the controller codes to bypass this function.

If the fridge still has it's Schweppes asset tag, PM it to me, and I will try to get a mate to run it's service history for you.

The seller is going to send through the model number for me tonight, but I also told her I'd make a decision tonight.. sounds like in the worst case scenario it'll be a Sanden and I'll have 8C kegs. I can live with that temporarily.

Thanks for offering to check the service history - I'll ask her to send the asset tag if there is one.

The seller is going to send through the model number for me tonight, but I also told her I'd make a decision tonight.. sounds like in the worst case scenario it'll be a Sanden and I'll have 8C kegs. I can live with that temporarily.

Thanks for offering to check the service history - I'll ask her to send the asset tag if there is one.

If the asset tag is still on it, it will be riveted inside the cabinet up high toward the glass doors.

There will also be one on the refrig deck behind the grate at the front of the fridge. It may be different, as schweppes tend to remove and replace on site, and then repair when they get them back to the workshop.

The seller hasn't gotten back to me with the model number, nor has she responded to a followup text.. not a good sign.

I've looked as these types of fridges on eBay and at the local fish & chip shop. Unless you get a professional to drill tap holes in the glass doors the taps will have to be on the side? Don't like that idea but hell it would be great looking through them doors at your kegging set up. Wouldn't need a tv then. (accept for the good women)

@mtb Your Mrs must hate you so much. How do you sneak all these purchases in?

mtb, you need to move to just beyond the black stump where there is NO :- Gum Tree, EBay, auction houses, on line stores, junk yards, rubbish tips, neighbours, abandoned goods, roadside selling and so on. :fallingoffchair:

I'm fast running out of kegs:oops:, I use a 520L odd upside down fridge freezer(picked up for $60) holds 6 kegs and freezer is used for hop and yeast storage(of course SWMBO has used it as overflow) I have 7 taps working (2 others yet to be refurbed) 12 kegs 2 minis and a 9L. When fully loaded the fridge is doing very little work, using that commercial fridge you'd only ever get it half full it'll always be cooling a lot of air.

I've looked as these types of fridges on eBay and at the local fish & chip shop. Unless you get a professional to drill tap holes in the glass doors the taps will have to be on the side? Don't like that idea but hell it would be great looking through them doors at your kegging set up. Wouldn't need a tv then. (accept for the good women)
I did wonder about where I would install the taps.. front would obscure the otherwise excellent view, but it works best for accessibility.

mtb, you need to move to just beyond the black stump where there is NO :- Gum Tree, EBay, auction houses, on line stores, junk yards, rubbish tips, neighbours, abandoned goods, roadside selling and so on.
I can't ever escape the bargains! They are attuned to me. They find me wherever I go.
Probably thinks you're from schweppes, chasing non returned assets.
You may have a point. Their gumtree ad is still up though, I'm hoping they're just lazy..

I did wonder about where I would install the taps.. front would obscure the otherwise excellent view, but it works best for accessibility.

What about a beer tap font on the side that is hinged and swings out level with the front of the unit?

What about a beer tap font on the side that is hinged and swings out level with the front of the unit?
Nah.. too much beer line outside of the fridge. I have the space to mount the taps on side, it's mostly an aesthetic reason to mount in the glass

Latest posts

Back