Colonial Brewery Co Expanding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
What is it about WA ???
The below article is from WA Buisness News

Asher for now

Empire Beer makes Royal purchase
10-May-07 by Julie-anne Sprague

Western Australian boutique brewing company Empire Beer Group Ltd has snapped up East Perth's Royal Bar and Brasserie for $3.5 million.

Empire will develop the venue into a Colonial Brewing Co pub and restaurant, similar to the one it owns in Margaret River.

The move is a departure from plans outlined in its prospectus to develop a second pub in Fremantle, where Little Creatures and the yet-to-open Mad Monk boutique brewery are based.

WA Business News revealed a fortnight ago that Empire, which listed on the Australian stock exchange in January, had abandoned talks with restaurateur Warren Mead to develop a Colonial Brewing pub at the Oyster Bar in North Fremantle and was assessing a site in Perth.

Empire managing director Phil Gallagher said the brewer was in advanced negotiations with experienced hotel operators to manage the East Perth site and it was continuing to assess new development opportunities.

"Investigations continue on a number of metropolitan and regional opportunities in Western Australia and interstate," Mr Gallagher said.

He said the company's "two phase" growth strategy involved developing new Colonial micro-brewery's throughout Australia, and purchasing a portfolio of stand-alone food and beverage focused hotels suitable for the distribution and sale of Colonial beer.

Empire said the purchase of the Royal Bar and Brasserie would be partially funded by debt, and the hotel would be immediately cash flow positive.

Empire shares closed 1.5 cents higher at 21.5 cents.

The full text of company announcement is pasted below

WA based craft beer company Empire Beer Group Ltd ("Empire" or "the Company") has strengthened its distribution and brand presence in metropolitan Perth through the acquisition of the "The Royal Bar and Brasserie" in East Perth.

This transaction is valued at A$3.5m and is subject to the following conditions
- Completion of 30 day due diligence process
- Approval of the transfer of the liquor licence to Empire by the Western Australian Director of Liquor Licensing
- Approval of finance

Empire Managing Director Phil Gallagher said this was a strategic acquisition that represented the implementation of a dual growth strategy and a significant milestone in the development of Empire.

"Importantly, the venue represents an acquisition that is immediately cash flow positive, and the company has the balance sheet to support the acquisition, so capital raising is not required. It is intended that debt will be used to partially fund the acquisition." Mr Gallagher said.

The two phases of the growth strategy will grow profit and develop the Colonial brand by
- Development of new 'Colonial Brewing' micro-brewery venues throughout Australia
- Acquisition of a portfolio of profitable stand-alone food and beverage focussed hotels suitable for the distribution and sale of Colonial Brewing Co Craft Beer brands.

Mr Gallagher said Empire had reviewed a number of sites before, but this one stood out in terms of offering exactly what the company was looking for.

"The acquisition of a profitable stand-alone hotel will allow Empire the opportunity to focus on on-premise sales, maximise its expertise, grow brand presence, and provides a platform for future growth," he said.

"The Royal Bar and Brasserie is a high profile, high-traffic tourist location and a leading Perth food and beverage venue, with significant potential for growth in both the local and tourism markets. It will provide the company with significant distribution and volume for its flagship Colonial Brewing Co brands."

Empire is in advanced negotiations with experienced hotel operators in regard to the management of the site.

"Investigations continue on a number of metropolitan and regional opportunities in Western Australia and interstate," Mr Gallagher said.

this is amazing news!!!!

i love the royal on a sunday afternoon - turning it into a brewpub is the best idea i have ever ever heard.

this is amazing news!!!!
i love the royal on a sunday afternoon - turning it into a brewpub is the best idea i have ever ever heard.

Its not going to be a brew pub I dont think. It will simply be an outlet for Colonial beers brewed elsewhere.

Yeah if it was gunna be a brewpub this list would be much longer you would think.

and is subject to the following conditions
- Completion of 30 day due diligence process
- Approval of the transfer of the liquor licence to Empire by the Western Australian Director of Liquor Licensing
- Approval of finance

are you familiar with the sport of Dine & Dash?

( purely accidental in this case, honest )

I'm really excited about this. As Phil said, the plan is still to roll Colonial brewpubs out around the country, but these are big projects and in the interim, we can use a little of our surplus capacity from the Margaret River venue to get some tasty Colonial beers into metro Perth and serve them through our own taps. What a great spot, right on the river!

Looking forward to shouting you guys a few pints.

Cheers,

Dean

Why is it that the worlds most isolated city is becoming the micro-brewery Mecca?

How sad Dean, that on a Friday night you are posting on AHB!

Cheers & well done
Gerard

Why is it that the worlds most isolated city is becoming the micro-brewery Mecca?

How sad Dean, that on a Friday night you are posting on AHB!

Cheers & well done
Gerard

Just got back from a few days up in Perth and I'm buggered. Enjoying a Weihenstephan dunkelhefeweissbier and I reckon I'll be asleep by 8.

Empire Beer makes Royal purchase
10-May-07 by Julie-anne Sprague

Western Australian boutique brewing company Empire Beer Group Ltd has snapped up East Perth's Royal Bar and Brasserie for $3.5 million.

Empire will develop the venue into a Colonial Brewing Co pub and restaurant, similar to the one it owns in Margaret River.

The move is a departure from plans outlined in its prospectus to develop a second pub in Fremantle,

Bugger :(

It's always nice when genuinely good beer and a decent amount of capital intersect. Doesn't seem to happen nearly often enough in this country.

Good on 'em. :beerbang:

Don't know how long they've been on tap, but the Colonial Brewery's website says that their beers are now available at the Royal Bar (East Perth) which they purchased earlier this year!

This is great news!!! I know where I'll be this weekend :)

Thanks to Dean for a great beer !

Don't know how long they've been on tap, but the Colonial Brewery's website says that their beers are now available at the Royal Bar (East Perth) which they purchased earlier this year!

This is great news!!! I know where I'll be this weekend :)

Thanks to Dean for a great beer !

Empire is actually listed on the ASX. I had a look at them a while back when they floated. Still on my "watch list". What's the beer like? Seems like it must be OK given the reaction here :)

Yeah, they're listed as EEE, but since they floated earlier this year their share price has fallen from .35c to .17c, which is a shame for those who got in early, but (hopefully, fingers crossed) good for those like me who want to buy now :)

The beer, imho is very good. I've had it on tap and in bottle and have enjoyed everytime. I liked it so much when I first tried it that I drove from Busselton to Margaret River and then to Dunsborough last christmas to get a 6 pack for the wife's side of the family christmas celebrations. (thats about a 1 and a half to 2 hour return journey!)

Wow, am I a busy little brewer!

Ok, the plan is to run four of Colonial's seven beers through a bank of taps at the Royal and we'll probably stick with the same four to ensure continuity. Pale, Wit, Brown and Kolsch. My two big cannons, Robust Porter and AIPA will likely stay here in Margs and my Amber, a midstrength, well, pffft, who wants to drink that...

Yeah, so Brown and Wit are on tap now, a new load of Wit is heading up there today and over the next two weeks we'll load up the Pale and Kolsch. Happy drinking!

Wow, am I a busy little brewer!

Ok, the plan is to run four of Colonial's seven beers through a bank of taps at the Royal and we'll probably stick with the same four to ensure continuity. Pale, Wit, Brown and Kolsch. My two big cannons, Robust Porter and AIPA will likely stay here in Margs and my Amber, a midstrength, well, pffft, who wants to drink that...

Yeah, so Brown and Wit are on tap now, a new load of Wit is heading up there today and over the next two weeks we'll load up the Pale and Kolsch. Happy drinking!

Dean, you're a legend. Glad the wit is up here. Heading for a couple after work today (finishing at 2! (been here since 5:45)) and going for lunch there tomorrow as I've got the day off and spending it drinking Colonial at the Royal seems a great way to enjoy it :)

Cheers !

Yeah, they're listed as EEE, but since they floated earlier this year their share price has fallen from .35c to .17c, which is a shame for those who got in early, but (hopefully, fingers crossed) good for those like me who want to buy now :)

The beer, imho is very good. I've had it on tap and in bottle and have enjoyed everytime. I liked it so much when I first tried it that I drove from Busselton to Margaret River and then to Dunsborough last christmas to get a 6 pack for the wife's side of the family christmas celebrations. (thats about a 1 and a half to 2 hour return journey!)

Thanks uneekwahn. It seems like a good idea really. The whole boutique beer thing is starting to gain a bit of steam. There's a lot of money in Perth at the moment with resources, so it seems a good place to start. As a company though, they seem a little undercapitalised. I think that I'll wait and see if they can manage to turn this pub into an earner before I consider investing in them more seriously though.

Latest posts

Back