Barons Brewery In Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damof

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but just stumbled on this.

Barons Brewing has announced a partnership with Independent Liquor Group (ILG) where Barons will build a state-of-the-art, domestic brewing facility at ILG's Sydney warehouse. The strategic alliance will allow for both parties to capitalise on operational profitability while offering a greater range of products at the most competitive pricing possible.
"Building our own brewery is a major move for Barons. The retail liquor market is crying out for another serious competitor and the Barons/ILG brewery will be there," says Barons' founder, Scott Garnett. "ILG is one of the most respected distributors in the industry and this partnership is going to have a serious impact on the future of the beer business."

By locating the brewery at the heart of the ILG distribution centre, Barons will realise massive benefits in terms of reduced logistics expenses and time to market.

The goal for the Barons Brewery at ILG is to concentrate on continued growth in domestic market share and increasing brand strength. Barons will build, own and manage the brewery, while ILG will provide the site and distribution. The venture will enable both companies to produce a wider variety of products at better margins, offer exclusive brands and benefits to ILG members and continue to grow a network of loyal and dedicated partners.

"By locating the brewery at ILG, Barons is now in control of its own destiny and will be a serious player in the domestic beer industry," says Sean Neylon, founding Director of Barons.
The new brewery will create significant local jobs while validating the resurgence of Australian-made products. "This is an important initiative that will benefit consumers through a more competitive Australian landscape - particularly important considering the ever increasing takeovers of our major brewers by foreign owners," says Garnett.

The Barons brewery will be built on site at ILG's Erskine Park facility. The $30m+ project will have the capacity to produce 250,000 hectolitres of beer per year and accommodate a 100-200 hectolitre brew house, translating to approximately 3.15 million cases of packaged beer per year. Based on average industry numbers, if the Barons Brewery at ILG produced 3 million cases in the first year, it would equal $66m in turnover and $24m in gross profit.

The brewery will be built by a team of Belgian engineers who are responsible for some of the most technologically advanced breweries in the world. The team will be led by Willem Van Herreweghen, Director of Quality & Business Development for Palm Breweries. Willem brings with him nearly 30 years of experience with some of the most internationally recognised beer companies, including Stella Artois and Trappists of Rochefort. Building of the Barons brewery at ILG will commence in the first quarter of 2010 with a target to begin brewing by the end of next year.

Looks like it and hopefully be competitive with lower margins. Interesting if they can pull it off.

Beer and Brewer did a good article on these guys last year? or earlier?

The emphasis was more on their cracking the market in the US, with a supposedly distinctly Aussie beer, in their Wattle Seed Ale.

I don't mind their range, but they were originally difficult to get a hold of due to only being at Dans, and wasn't my usual bottlo.

I reckon good on them. They were just like many other smaller groups starting out, and seem to have at least looked long and hard at the economics, and business behind it all. And with bigger backing like this, and an international market, they might hang around for some time.

Best of luck to them,

Marlow

Good stuff, been waiting for these fellas to make a move into the big leagues. I certainly don't mind the beers from them I've tried and would like to see some more of their stuff coming my way!

Best of luck to them.

Cheers - boingk

Beer and Brewer did a good article on these guys last year? or earlier?

The emphasis was more on their cracking the market in the US, with a supposedly distinctly Aussie beer, in their Wattle Seed Ale.

Was back in the States last month and you could get Coopers at most specialty beer stores. Didn't see any Baron's, though.

They caused a bit of resentment in the Melbourne market by a. being contract brewers passing themselves off as a microbrewery and b. doing deeeep discounts to venues in order to grab taps. Nice to see they're putting their money where their mouth is and hope they expand on the native range, as the market always needs a few more interesting beers.

I have been lucky enough to meet and drink with one of the brewers a couple of months ago at a pub in Glebe NSW. The pub had the pale ale on tap and of course all 9 of them were free :lol:

I do remember him telling me that they were planing this so im happy to hear that it has finally happened.

I also do love how they came up with the name "Barons", THE SIMPSONS!!! hahaha. He said to his mate I just want to be a Beer Baron... and the name was born.

Good on you guys, best of luck in the future.

theres something about the Pale that I cant quite pick.. There is almost a bubblegum flavour to it that I'm not overly keen on. I'll drink it over swill though!

I collect all things barons from glass's to the bottle's. although I always buy something diffferent when I am at the bottlo, i still love to throw my $40 on a case of barons pale ale, my local pub did have it last xmas on tap barons lager for $3.00 a schooner buy 10 get a free shirt and this shirt i wear proud, the other 4 I gave away to family but the reslt was they had more people wanting camel piss (tooheys,vb, carlton draught) and so they ditched it........

So a question for any newcastles guys out their, I want somewhere to call a watering hole that actually has craft beers on tap, for my guiness on tap i go to central, i know a place in town has coopers, james squire on tap but can anyone send me in a direction to a bar thats got a nice craft line up? I am now a lager gone pale ale drinker and I am not looking back GO PALE ALE and kick ass barons!

I don't mind barons always priced well for the product although I bought some pale ale and it was most definitly thier esb! Hopefully this partnership increases product range rather than narrowing it down to just best sellers.

Wow,

That would suck for AIB... who brew most of their beer at the moment. Barons is/was (when I brewed there) one of AIB's main clients.

Baron's came down to Canberra to preach the preach and show us how they brewed in the UK. The presentation was nice, and the beer was good. However, after they left, I got a bit of a thing happening and started a mini rant about the fact that they had never actually BREWED a beer. All of their offerings were AIB Recipe concoctions.. The Canberra Brew club in general raked me over the coals and told me to step into line, and realise that they were Aussie Brewers, even if AIB made the beer. I never stepped into line, and I still say it's sad that Baron's is such a big name, when they never once brewed their own beer. Good on them for the marketing and the contract brewing, but man it would be nice if a REAL Aussie micro would hit it big.... Well I guess Little Creatures is the closest and their beers are a fine offering, but they don't seem to want to go BIG.

I'm not a fan of the cheque book brewer!

Want real Aussie brewers? Have a chat to someone like the Mountain Goat guys ... who still bust their arses doing 14 hr days and put the hard work in

I'm not a fan of the cheque book brewer!

Want real Aussie brewers? Have a chat to someone like the Mountain Goat guys ... who still bust their arses doing 14 hr days and put the hard work in

AMEN!

Back