Coles Brand Kits...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or tried theses kits as yet? I put down a draught version yesterday, seeing as it was only $9-$10 for the can. Not holding my exxpectations to high. Used a coopers yeast and steeped 150g of crystal grain into it. as i had it lying around.

Cheers Asha05 :icon_chickcheers:

I did a toucan with the Coles Draught and Coles Lager to see how drinkable a real cheap beer would be ($16 for 23L).

The answer: Not very.

It's the worst beer I've ever made unfortunately. It's currently being cellared for a few months to see if it gets better with age.

:icon_offtopic: Wonder who manufactures the Coles and Woolies branded kit cans ? :icon_offtopic:

edit: The Coopers cans are only a few dollars more.

Has anyone seen or tried theses kits as yet? I put down a draught version yesterday, seeing as it was only $9-$10 for the can. Not holding my exxpectations to high. Used a coopers yeast and steeped 150g of crystal grain into it. as i had it lying around.

Cheers Asha05 :icon_chickcheers:
Yeah they're not that good.
It's not too late to throw in 10-20g Cascade or something similar .... anything to help it along.

Had some cascade hop pellets in the fridge added those. Wait and see...
I scored a handful of those kits off my BIL (who works for coles) for $1.50 each.
In future, I'll refuse that offer. hehe.

I scored a handful of those kits off my BIL (who works for coles) for $1.50 each.
In future, I'll refuse that offer. hehe.

Would they not be good for using as just a bittered extract? You could boil em' for an hour or so and just use it to make a darker beer. Or is it that bad? Never used them myself

I think some of the cheaper kits are not all malt or the use a lower biscuit quality malt.

Would they not be good for using as just a bittered extract? You could boil em' for an hour or so and just use it to make a darker beer. Or is it that bad? Never used them myself
Yeah they just never tasted any good. I even toucanned one and tried "belgian"-ing it up (yeah doesn't that sound great!). If I closed my eyes while drinking it I could've been in Brussels.... in a really dodgy bogan suburb, mind you.

if you saw that " you know you're a homebrewer when" thread...
there was one that went something like.
when..you tip out beer to replace it with more beer.

that is what I did with the home brand stuff.

the first night I drank it I came down with a virus and thought I'd poisoned myself.
totally unrelated..but it was so bad I thought it was why I was sick.

Latest posts

Back