Cold Weather Yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damianjthorpe

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,

Well I did a quick search on AHB for this, but obviously didn't have any luck.

Are there any ale yeasts that are better suited to a lower fermenting temperature? Say around 14-18C? With winter approaching in South Oz, I want to keep brewing, but not keen on the heater idea as it seems like a difficult way to brew.

I look forward to hearing from fellow brewers soon!

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

I just used Nottingham dry in a Porter Damo. Pitched at 16, rose to 17 for two days and has now dropped back to 15 degrees. From memory its good down to 13 degrees. I've also used US05 dry at 15-16 degrees.

Nottingham down to around 13 degrees
US-05 over 15 degrees

If you can get some, I generally do Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire at around 15 degrees despite the instructions. Yorkshire stone square brewing was always traditionally done around 15 or 16 which gives the beers a lot of their "fresh" characters.

Can brew with some dry Lager strains at those temps. Do you have any method of Lagering at 0-1c? But yeah, I've also had 1056 down at 15-16, actually, quite a few of the ale strains I've used will go that low, I usually pitch more yeast though if I know I'm going to be brewing at those temps

I'm a big fan of wyeast 2112..California lager.. Ferments between 14 and 20 although I've always done my Californian commons at 15 to 16 degrees
One of my favorite beers !
Cheers
Ferg

Kolsch yeast or German ale yeast.

WY 1007 is one such very lovely yeast

Nottingham down to around 13 degrees
US-05 over 15 degrees

If you can get some, I generally do Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire at around 15 degrees despite the instructions. Yorkshire stone square brewing was always traditionally done around 15 or 16 which gives the beers a lot of their "fresh" characters.

this is interesting. does the lower ferment help to keep the esters to a more restrained level. i gave up on using the 1469 because at 18 every beer had the same estery profile that seemed to me to dominate the beer. also does the lower temp affect attenuation and yeast behavior at all?

Definitely gives a 'cleaner' beer. If I'm going for esters I'd use Ringwood yeast at around 22 degrees.

Temperature controller + fridge & heat belt = doesnt matter what temperature it is outside.

Sorry if this seems obvious, but it really is the ducks nuts.

W1728 Scottish yeast is a cracker, it will work down to 12-13*c and can handle high %Alc as well.

It is my personal favourite and prob the pick of the ale yeast when cool fermenting

I've had some very good results from Saflager S-189 for some ales. Not the frutiest ales ever but went well at 14-16 degrees or so, really nice clean finish and it drops out nicely.

G'day Brewers,

Thanks for the rapid responses. Will read up on the yeast types to see if they suit what I am planning to brew.

Cheers and happy brewing,
Damo

Back