Quantcast

Cold crashing four more than two weeks!

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Kezzbot

Reaction score
Average cold crashing time is about four days. but just wondering what the longest time cold crashing is before you stop getting any extra benefit.

Anyone tested this?

Reaction score
Average cold crashing time is about four days. but just wondering what the longest time cold crashing is before you stop getting any extra benefit.

Anyone tested this?
Depends what temperature you cold crash at, I crash at -1 C, -2 C on higher ABV only takes a couple of days, once it gets down to that temperature that is. It can take a couple of days to get the wort down to that temperature.

Kezzbot

Reaction score
Yeah I also told crash at about those temps probably between 0 and 3 degrees is my range.

I heard talk of the 123 method where you ferment for 1 week, cold crash for 2 weeks and then leave it in the keg for three weeks before drinking.

I get the one week for ferment and 3 weeks before drinking but just trying to get some more information on the full benefit of cold crashing for two weeks.

Reaction score
Yeah I also told crash at about those temps probably between 0 and 3 degrees is my range.

I heard talk of the 123 method where you ferment for 1 week, cold crash for 2 weeks and then leave it in the keg for three weeks before drinking.

I get the one week for ferment and 3 weeks before drinking but just trying to get some more information on the full benefit of cold crashing for two weeks.
Once its dropped clear then keg or bottle it. But I would leave it in the fermentation mode a little longer.

carrobrew

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
So the main benefit of cold crashing it just for clarity right? For ales at least. I understand that Lagers need to.. lager but for an ale to only reason to crash is to drop everything out of suspension?

Kezzbot

Reaction score
Its mostly to remove most of the yeast. At 2C it will go dormant and drop to the bottom.

Also, if you cold crash before transfer to keg or bottle you wont get sediment in the bottom of bottle or keg.

philrob

Staff member
Moderating
Reaction score
I still don't understand the need for cold crashing. Do things right, and save yourself the bother.
I never mash for less than 75 minutes, boil at least 60 minutes or longer, and use BrewBrite at the end of the boil, whirlpool and drain 20 to 30 minutes later. Ferment for 2 weeks maximum before bottling.
If it's a lager, I'll rack it off the yeast after 2 weeks and lager for 6 to 8 weeks before bottling.
Do I get clear beer? You betcha. No need for cold crashing in the Old Pug Brewery.

Reactions: MHB

Madscientist86

Reaction score
I cold crash for 3 days and keg for 2 weeks at 3-4 degrees (serving pressure 10-12psi). First pour is the Mother in law pour, don't see the need to cold crash longer than you have to.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
If cold crashing drops the yeast out of suspension to the bottom, is there still enough yeast going into bottle for carbonation? Especially given a week or two cold crash.

carrobrew

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
If cold crashing drops the yeast out of suspension to the bottom, is there still enough yeast going into bottle for carbonation? Especially given a week or two cold crash.
I am doing my first cold crash next week so have had a look and asked a few different sources and they all pretty much say there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension, I only plan of crashing for a few days though. Not sure about 2 weeks.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I am doing my first cold crash next week so have had a look and asked a few different sources and they all pretty much say there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension, I only plan of crashing for a few days though. Not sure about 2 weeks.
Excellent. I thought that may be the case. I’m going to make cold crashing a part of my process. Like you, probably two or three days worth.

Any thoughts about using finings with cold crashing, or is that unnecessary doubling up?

carrobrew

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
Excellent. I thought that may be the case. I’m going to make cold crashing a part of my process. Like you, probably two or three days worth.

Any thoughts about using finings with cold crashing, or is that unnecessary doubling up?
I used whirlfloc in the kettle but have never used gelatin. Not sure how it would go or if it would take yeast out if you are bottling like me. Kegging maybe because you can force carb but I don’t have the Co2 set up yet.

Cloud Surfer

Reaction score
I used whirlfloc in the kettle but have never used gelatin. Not sure how it would go or if it would take yeast out if you are bottling like me. Kegging maybe because you can force carb but I don’t have the Co2 set up yet.
I haven’t used whirlfloc yet, but I just ordered some. That and cold crashing might be enough then.

Latest posts