Cold Crash after 1 week

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Is that too early?

I'm using a ferm chamber - just wondering if another week (cold crashed) is the way to go or if I need it to brew at the solid 19-20 for 2 weeks? I want to try dry hopping gradually during cold crashing.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Is that too early?

I'm using a ferm chamber - just wondering if another week (cold crashed) is the way to go or if I need it to brew at the solid 19-20 for 2 weeks? I want to try dry hopping gradually during cold crashing.
At 19-20deg, it's probably well & truely finished fermenting after a full week but I feel leaving it for the extra week is better for all round completion. I like to give it two weeks @ferment temp, raising the temp a few degrees towards the end of primary for a Diacetyl rest. This extra time gives the yeast a chance to finish off & clean up after themselves & the beers are better for it. A diacetyl rest is not so important for Ales as it is for Lagers but I just routinely do it anyway. It's a good habit to get into. I do the same as you, cold crash for a full week @1deg. I don't bother dry hopping much these days as the flavour & aroma additions during the boil are enough for my tastes.

Crusty said:
At 19-20deg, it's probably well & truely finished fermenting after a full week but I feel leaving it for the extra week is better for all round completion. I like to give it two weeks @ferment temp, raising the temp a few degrees towards the end of primary for a Diacetyl rest. This extra time gives the yeast a chance to finish off & clean up after themselves & the beers are better for it. A diacetyl rest is not so important for Ales as it is for Lagers but I just routinely do it anyway. It's a good habit to get into. I do the same as you, cold crash for a full week @1deg. I don't bother dry hopping much these days as the flavour & aroma additions during the boil are enough for my tastes.
Does it really make THAT much of a big difference ? I find I generally CC at around 10 days for about 4 days and then bottle. Diacetyl resting is not something I've done before.

once it's at terminal gravity, all it needs is a day or two to clean up, I'm generally raising the temps toward the end of primary so its all taken care of by default.

If primary is over in 3 days, + 2 for cleanup I'll go right into cc for 4 days.

Longer that necessary isn't required

Yob said:
once it's at terminal gravity, all it needs is a day or two to clean up, I'm generally raising the temps toward the end of primary so its all taken care of by default.
That's exactly what some of the micros do and produce fantastic products.

Yob said:

Yeh thanks yob - I'm taking your advice on this and the g radual dry hopping.

Its gone from 1.042 to 1.004 so its definitely done!

Cheers,

Yob said:

Is it worth leaving it out in the shed for a day?

It gets up to like 30 in there (where the fridge is anyway)

Do you have a heat source in your fermentation chamber?

Infa-red reptile heaters are a great choice - they don't output any UVA or UVB rays, don't make direct contact with the fermenter and are a lot safer than many other options. Mine even came with a clip on mount, which attaches nicely to the fridge door compartments.

I just decided to cold crash - its been going for 7 days and is a fresh yeast ale, should be sweet. next time I'll look at upping it towards the end of 7 days, like day 5 and let it rest for 2 days.

Will be looking at a new heater, but thats a long way off with the hot weather now!

Latest posts

Back