Cold Conditioning Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
I scored a cheap 2nd hand fridge for fermenting that stores 2 fermenters. Cool. The problem is, the fridge doesn't cool too well (doesn't drop below 7 degrees), which is fine for fermenting, but not for cold conditioning. So I have another fridge that I can cold condition in, but only one fermenter at a time. My thought to get around this would be to rack to a cube, then stuff them both in the fridge and chill (which has the added advantage of freeing up my fermenters and my ferment fridge sooner ;) ).

My questions are as follows:

1. There'll be no need for an air lock on the cube, given there is no more fermentation, right?
2. Is there a problem with headspace and oxidisation in a 30L cube?
3. If I move off the yeast in a cube, then bottle, will there be enough yeast for bottle conditioning?

Are there any issues that I'm overlooking?

Cheers! :)

I scored a cheap 2nd hand fridge for fermenting that stores 2 fermenters. Cool. The problem is, the fridge doesn't cool too well (doesn't drop below 7 degrees), which is fine for fermenting, but not for cold conditioning. So I have another fridge that I can cold condition in, but only one fermenter at a time. My thought to get around this would be to rack to a cube, then stuff them both in the fridge and chill (which has the added advantage of freeing up my fermenters and my ferment fridge sooner ;) ).

1. There'll be no need for an air lock on the cube, given there is no more fermentation, right?
3. If I move off the yeast in a cube, then bottle, will there be enough yeast for bottle conditioning?

1 other option is to get a cheese making kit! the temp for hard cheeses is about the same as a larger fermentation temp. that will solve the problem of what to do with the other half of the fridge.

1. No you do not need an airlock, if you need to, release the gas once or twice over the first day or so
2. Well it is better with less head space, but you will still have a blanket of CO2 after you do a transfer
3. Plenty of yeast will still be about

7C might not be quite cold enough for proper cold-conditioning but it's a lot better then keeping fermented beer at room temp. A cube filled to the brim is 'optimum' for avoiding oxidation but if you have a little headspace in your cube then don't sweat it.

While making cheese in your fridge is an idea that I wholeheartedly approve of, I would just use the extra space to store bottles of beer.

Oxygenation is the process of increasing the concentration of dissolved oxygen in a liquid.

Oxidation is a chemical reaction that results in a loss of electrons.

Oxidisation is not a word.

The amount of oxygen entering beer in a closed cube is a function of the partial pressure of oxygen in the headspace. The oxygen doesnt know or care what the partial pressure of CO2 is in the headspace.

Oxygenation is the process of increasing the concentration of dissolved oxygen in a liquid.

Oxidation is a chemical reaction that results in a loss of electrons.

Oxidisation is not a word.

The amount of oxygen entering beer in a closed cube is a function of the partial pressure of oxygen in the headspace. The oxygen doesnt know or care what the partial pressure of CO2 is in the headspace.
GL,
Don't mean to be pedantic BUT Oxidisation is a word, albeit interchangeable with Oxidation.

Noun 1. oxidisation - the process of oxidizing; the addition of oxygen to a compound with a loss of electrons; always occurs accompanied by reduction

Cheers
Nige

Ok let's see if I understand you right. Your fermenting fridge can hold two fermenters. Your cold fridge can hold two cubes. A 20L cube actually holds 23 litres - well at least the Willow Jerry Can version does, and being skinny you could maybe get two in your cold fridge.

On a 'standard' fermenter the moulded line will be almost spot on 23 litres so (BribieG runs over to brewery and photographs what is there at the moment):

This:
deadfridge2__Medium_.jpg

Will fit into this:
coldcrash__Medium_.jpg

Trust me. Therefore there will be bugger all headspace for oxyation :ph34r: , I just tighten up the cap then ease it off a crack and that's fine.

So if you can get two fermenters into the ferm fridge and two 20L cubes into the cold fridge, you are home and hosed and can have four brews going through all the time.
A so called 20L cube should yield a keg plus 4 bottles. If you are bottling only you maaayyy get the full 30, probably more like 28 or 29 depending on how much shyte remaining in cube.

Edit: while I'm in photogenic mood, here's a bottle actually on bottling day, it carbed up fine. xcuse the soft drink bottle, that's what I used to do.

in_the_bottle.jpg

Cheers

:icon_cheers:

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.

GL: I think what cubbie is referring to is the fact that the CO2 should sit above the beer and not let the oxygen through because it's heavily? It's quite likely I have no idea what I'm on about, but that's the impression I got.

Bribie: Must be on the same wavelength here. That's exactly what I wanted to hear ;) I'm glad you can fit the whole batch in a smaller cube. I notice your cube doesn't have a tap on it though?? How do you bottle?

This is good. Now I can spend a little more time cold conditioning while I get on with brewing something else :D

To be honest im not sure what a cube even is, but it sounds to me like you need to purge this 'cube' with CO2 before tranfering beer into in?

2nd picture of Bribie's is one sort of cube. This is another (you can buy them without the detergent)

75a.jpg

I solved this problem by fermenting 25-26l batches. Now my cubes fill for secondary/cc

how bout this one.... If you cold condition and then take the kegs out of the fridge for a while does this undo any of the goodness?

I'm brewing for a mates work xmas party and need to chill and carbonate, all are ales. but I cant get 3 or four kegs in the fridge and still have one in there to drink in the meantime...... I can'tbe expected to go dry.

how bout this one.... If you cold condition and then take the kegs out of the fridge for a while does this undo any of the goodness?

I'm brewing for a mates work xmas party and need to chill and carbonate, all are ales. but I cant get 3 or four kegs in the fridge and still have one in there to drink in the meantime...... I can'tbe expected to go dry.

Umm yes I would think that is fine, in fact I am sure a lot of people do it.

I bottle so I CC then bottle and they sit at room temp until I am ready to drink them. No issues.

Latest posts

Back