Cold Conditioning Or Finings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also find that a period at very cold temps (usually 2degC for 2 days) is enough to drop most of the yeast out and make nice bright beer.
Use finings if you can't chill that low or don't have so much time, otherwise time and temperature will do the work for you.

However, I'm not sure that calling the process "cold crashing" is such a good idea, since chilling the beer rapidly may cause the yeast to throw off-flavours, and so its best to cool the beer over a number of hours (12-24) rather than as quickly as possible.
Actually I think you are right here mate Wullfy. I did read, yeast by white, this period should be a slow decent to avoid the off flavors. Problem is my beer fridge can't complete such a slow decent as hottest temp is 4 and coldest 2c. Without a controller any idea how to slow this a bit, and ice bath could work but will be an expensive option.

Actually I think you are right here mate Wullfy. I did read, yeast by white, this period should be a slow decent to avoid the off flavors. Problem is my beer fridge can't complete such a slow decent as hottest temp is 4 and coldest 2c. Without a controller any idea how to slow this a bit, and ice bath could work but will be an expensive option.

Set your fridge to its warmest temp and put fermenter in. Then every 4-6 hours turn it down slowly so it takes 24 hours to get the fridge really cold.

My fermenters/cubes go straight in the fridge without fiddling around with the settings. One man's experience does not a truth make but I haven't noticed any major off flavours as a result. Maybe on a hectalitre scale it might make a difference, I'm not sure. The yeast book is pitched at commercial breweries as well as home brewers.

I've stopped fining my beers and CC gets them as clear as I'd like them to be so if you're going to pick one, pick cold.

Digital temp controller will cost you about $16 now days, and then a few $ more to set it up, if you have a fridge you can dedicate to fermenting its a great little addition.
My fermenters/cubes go straight in the fridge without fiddling around with the settings. One man's experience does not a truth make but I haven't noticed any major off flavours as a result. Maybe on a hectalitre scale it might make a difference, I'm not sure. The yeast book is pitched at commercial breweries as well as home brewers.
I've not noticed any problems with the beers I chill, but some of the folks on the UK JBK website, had a bitch that cooling too quickly resulted in issues. That was when I realized that my fridge - being old - usually takes 12+ hours to chill the beer even if I just shove it in and set it to minimum temp.

Set your fridge to its warmest temp and put fermenter in. Then every 4-6 hours turn it down slowly so it takes 24 hours to get the fridge really cold.

my fridges warmest is 4c so I'm afraid that's just same same but different Mind you i'd love an older retro style one that had the dial and good looking shell. Something about a big modern white good with a tap isnt as nice.

all good though

sounds like a Kiwi thung, lol. I take it "crash" chilling is what youde rather it be called. either way, it will do the job. :icon_cheers:

Nah Bro as a kiwi the true translation would be Crush Chullung.

However having finally given up bottling after far too many years I now cold filter! :icon_cheers:

I don't have a fermenting fridge (yet). My current brew has just finished fermenting ( AG, pilsner and a touch of wheat, Tettenanger and US 05), is it worth sort of cold conditioning by putting the fermenter outside for a week or so. (the night temps get down to about 7 celcius) or just bottling, carbing then putting bottles in the fridge after a few weeks. If I buy lots of flowers I may be allowed the top shelf of the fridge -fingers crossed!!!

I am trying to aim at getting the least amount of yeast in the bottle yet still having a well carbed beer.

I don't have a fermenting fridge (yet). My current brew has just finished fermenting ( AG, pilsner and a touch of wheat, Tettenanger and US 05), is it worth sort of cold conditioning by putting the fermenter outside for a week or so. (the night temps get down to about 7 celcius) or just bottling, carbing then putting bottles in the fridge after a few weeks. If I buy lots of flowers I may be allowed the top shelf of the fridge -fingers crossed!!!

I am trying to aim at getting the least amount of yeast in the bottle yet still having a well carbed beer.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt too much. As long as the swings weren't too great.

Also, you'd want to protect from sunlight

Leaving your beer in the fermenter for an extra week will probably get you most of the effect of crash chilling anyway

Back