Coffee Grinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
Aldi's have a 120w Burr Coffee Grinder on sale Wednesday 29 feb for $29.... would they be suitable for grain breaking? is there any special criteria for a coffee grinder that is going to be used on grain? do I spend $100 or so or will a $30 buck one do just as well.... I realise there has been discussion on this subject before but when I type Coffee grinder in search I get a thousand and one references. any input greatly appreciated
Cheers

If you brew BIAB and don't care how long it takes nor how long the grinder lasts, most reports suggest a coffee grinder is okay.

Anything else and you should be looking at a mill or getting your LHBS to mill for you.

Than a mill?

Stop posting.

These aldi jobs are close to one TENTH of the price than a mill setup. If it's even usable, i'm interested.

I'm also wondering if this particular model will be any good as an actual coffee grinder - the last "burr mill" I bought can't do anything like fine size required for decent espresso...

If you brew BIAB and don't care how long it takes nor how long the grinder lasts, most reports suggest a coffee grinder is okay.

Anything else and you should be looking at a mill or getting your LHBS to mill for you.

+1

A coffee grinder works out expensive if it doesn't last and you need to replace it. But if you are just wanting something to get your feet wet trying out BIAB and can;t justify a full mill it could get you through until you can afford/justify a real mill. And IMHO screw sitting there feeding 5kg+ of grain through one of them.

A decent mill will last your brewing needs, and be able to be sold on / handed down later. Just have a look at any decent mill that has been advertised on here, it always sells.

QldKev

You probably already have a blender capable of crusing ice on your bench. I have a Sunbeam one.

It takes 500g of grain, and turned to "3" it takes about 8 seconds to do half a kilo. I leave the lid off (doesn't fly out with 500g in it) and flick the grains that tend to get stuck on the rim back into the vortex. I can do 4kg in a couple of minutes.

It will turn your grain into a fine, fine flour - so beware that your bag will be more difficult to drain and your efficiencies will be very high, which can upset recipe software's predictions.

This does have another benefit though: if you are patient, and don't squeeze the bag, the wort comes out brilliantly clear, as it's draining through what is a very fine filter bed.

If you're buying your grain by the kilo - get it milled.

If you are a big drinker, buy bulk and get a mill.

If you grind 3.5kg every two weeks by putting it through a grinder or blender ... that's 5 minutes of your life you won't get back. Throw a hissyfit about it.

Grain aside, $30 is hectically cheap for a burr mill. If it is anywhere near as good as the other basement options available, it is about 1/6th the price of a coffee grinder.

Unless BIAB a 2nd hand Marga mill at around $50 has to be a better investment than a blender/grinder setup IMHO, even new at ~$100 is not one tenth or one fifth or whatever cost claims above make out.

Orrrrrrr,

You could go to K-Mart and grab a $15 pasta machine.
ca8860f7-9dbb-0905.jpg

then you can throw a drill bit into your drill, throw it into reverse and take big chunks out of the rollers for knurling
ca8860f7-3637-19a7.jpg

then you can cut off the handle so your drill will fit on it and mill some grain. This is Wheat, straight from the field.
ca8860f7-376e-4083.jpg

$15 and 15min with a drill and you have a a grain mill.

BF

I broke my 3 month old Weston brand #150 corona type mill. I wouldn't buy one made in the last 15 years. Retainer caps are really weak

Orrrrrrr,

You could go to K-Mart and grab a $15 pasta machine.
ca8860f7-9dbb-0905.jpg

then you can throw a drill bit into your drill, throw it into reverse and take big chunks out of the rollers for knurling
ca8860f7-3637-19a7.jpg

then you can cut off the handle so your drill will fit on it and mill some grain. This is Wheat, straight from the field.
ca8860f7-376e-4083.jpg

$15 and 15min with a drill and you have a a grain mill.

BF

Now that sounds good! Mama Mia:)

If you're buying your grain by the kilo - get it milled.

If you are a big drinker, buy bulk and get a mill.

If you grind 3.5kg every two weeks by putting it through a grinder or blender ... that's 5 minutes of your life you won't get back. Throw a hissyfit about it.

Well that's the trouble Nick, a few years ago I used to spill more on the floor than I drink now, but on saying that I'm still partial to good beer on a hot day. As for 5 mins in my life?? Hell mate it takes me that long to turn around now days :)

did anyone end up getting one of these grinders from Aldi and put it through its paces?

did anyone end up getting one of these grinders from Aldi and put it through its paces?

I grabbed one but havnt tried it out yet.
Instructions say to only run for 1 minute at time then a few minutes rest.
I'll be trying it out on Sat morning

These aldi jobs are close to one TENTH of the price than a mill setup. If it's even usable, i'm interested.

I'm also wondering if this particular model will be any good as an actual coffee grinder - the last "burr mill" I bought can't do anything like fine size required for decent espresso...

Re Coffee Grinders for Coffee Grinding (commercial grind for a commercial basket)

Delonghi Grinders used to be good. Then they added a plastic nubbin to stop you dialing them fine enough.

The Breville BCG450 seemed pretty good, not sure if it actually did commercial grind, but it crapped out with light domestic usage after about 15 months (just outside of warranty)

Replaced with another Delonghi, again, had to force the nubbin to break off to get commercial grind. Crapped out after 14 months... of light domestic use (2-3 coffees per week!). Damnit.

Replaced with a Sunbeam EMO480 Cafe Grinder. This grinder has a 5 year motor warranty, is all diecast, is very pretty... BUT CAN'T GRIND COMMERCIAL!!!! Rubbish.

Damnit... Luckily my first Delonghi is still going strong after 5 years.

These grinder are all 175-200$ jobbies, which don't seem to last more than 18 months with very light use.

Anyone got a recommendation for a conical burr grinder, which can actually accomplish a commercial grind?

PS: I don't think 29$ burr grinder is going to last very long grinding grain.

Back