Cloudy Beer Makes Hulk Angry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersatan

Reaction score
I might have stuffed up somewhere but does anyone have a suggestion to clear this one up?

I have made myself a partial amber ale concoction and the SG is steady at 1008 from 1042.
This is my first partial that included 250g amber malt, 100g wheat malt and 50g crystal malt.
I crushed the first two and steeped them all in a muslin bag in my pot at around 68deg for an hour.
This became my 10-11L boil with the other ingredients and a generous hopping along the way.
The pot was cooled in the sink and then poured into my fermenter and topped up to 23L.
It was 24deg so yeast was pitched and off it went...

Now it seems done but in the hydrometer test tube thing it is more cloudy than any brew I've made before.
I am aware of irish moss(have some in my second fermenter as an experiment) and also whirlfloc and gelatin but I would like to what I should do at this stage to clear my beer.

Any help would be gold!

Some grains such as most crystal malts have already undergone conversion so steeping is fine.
As far as I can recall amber and wheat do not contain enough enzymes to convert themselves and need to be mashed with other grains typically ale or pilsner malts to convert the starches into sugars.

The cloudiness you have is more than likely starch haze caused from them not being converted correctly.
I don't know that there is much you can do about it now, try gelatin it may help a bit.

BB

whirl flock is a kettle fining, not sure whats it is doing in the fermenter!?

In the artilcle section you can see about using gelatine.LOOK IN HERE

You may have got some trub into your airlock!
Does the rest of the beer appear cloudy too?

heavily hopped beers are cloudier in general.

If the beer taste good it may clear during bottling or storing in keg.

good luck :)

I'll take a stab and say it may just be yeast.

Usually your first runout from the fermenter is yeasty due to yeast settling in the tap cavity.

Clarity is the last thing you should worry about, unless you're keen on entering said beer into a competition where clarity is required. Taste is (nearly) everything!

Thanks guys!

From the hydrometer test tube it tastes pretty good already. A little sweet but James Squirish so I'm happy so far.
I was thinking it has something to do with starch from the wheat.
I think I'll wait another day or two and see if it clears at all but if not I will try some gelatine and see what happens.
One thing I've learnt about homebrew, and preached to mates, is a bit of patience usually pays off.

As far as I can recall amber and wheat do not contain enough enzymes to convert themselves

You're right about the amber, but wheat has heaps of enzymes so the mash should have converted fine (as long as it was malted wheat rather than raw wheat).

What yeast did you use? How long's it been at what temp?

I was thinking it has something to do with starch from the wheat.
I think I'll wait another day or two and see if it clears at all but if not I will try some gelatine and see what happens.
One thing I've learnt about homebrew, and preached to mates, is a bit of patience usually pays off.
Should not be any starch left after a hour at 68 c. All starch should be converted to fermentables or dextrins (Less fermentable) Like you said wait and see.
GB

You're right about the amber, but wheat has heaps of enzymes so the mash should have converted fine (as long as it was malted wheat rather than raw wheat).

What yeast did you use? How long's it been at what temp?

All the grains were brewcraft and the wheat was labelled "wheat malt".

I used US05 and the fermenter has sat between 18-20deg for 10 days in about 4 hours time.

It's the same tonight but feeling lazy so I'll be bottling tomorrow night.

Thanks everyone!

Back