Climate Change Affecting Hops Quality?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? How much do you spend on a tank of fuel and how much mileage do you get out of that? Especially when petrol was over $1.75 a litre, which it will go back to as soon as the economy recovers.

Say what you like C02 emissions, I dont get why anyone would laugh at people driving cars with good fuel economy. Personally im jelous of prius owners, they use 3.9 L / 100km whereas I use more than double that in a 4 cylinder.

Ok, I'm not going to buy into conspiracy theorists or whether global warming is "real" or not.
I do think we should all do our bit to conserve stuff - be it water, fuel, nature reserves or annoying possums.

Having said that, don't be envious of Prius drivers and the fuel economy - it's rubbish!!!
Driving round town, stop - start - they are great.

I have the need to drive to Bendigo on a fairly regular basis (about 200k - mainly freeways)
Last visit, I used my mates Prius instead of my usual Camry wagon - it used more fuel than the Camry.
Going quick and up hills without much stop and start - the Prius is a flop.

City driving - it's terrific - country/long distance - not so good.

Now, back to pedalling this bike to generate more power, my PC screens getting dim :lol:

Why? How much do you spend on a tank of fuel and how much mileage do you get out of that? Especially when petrol was over $1.75 a litre, which it will go back to as soon as the economy recovers.

Say what you like C02 emissions, I dont get why anyone would laugh at people driving cars with good fuel economy. Personally im jelous of prius owners, they use 3.9 L / 100km whereas I use more than double that in a 4 cylinder.

It gets 9 to 9.5L/100K's. highway driving which is most of what it does.

I have had 2 different work cars in the last couple years. One was a 6cyl falcon that used the same and now a diesel 4WD monstosity that uses about 10.5L/100K,s

I will take the V8 any day. Although i do like the little diesel VW Golf Sports models. They go like the clappers and are great on fuel. Im not against fuel efficiency...... more that a bigger motor if set up corectly will use less fuel than most think due to not having to work as hard on the road. I just feather the pedal..... no harsh accelerating, and im out in front of cars off the lights. It just rolls up so easy. I dont have to work it at all. You hear the 4's reving away, drinking fuel under acceleration......... and yeah i laugh :)

How much fuel will a prius use towing half a tonne of dirt in a trailer? My V8 only goes up 1 or 2L / 100k because it has the torque to handle it and i dont have to push down on the pedal much more than normal.

Will a prius tow half a tonne up hill?...... i doubt the VW would either.... so whats better for me?

Edit: speeling

Sorry for just kinda jumping in here, but anyway.

An executive summary/abstract is not meant to detail the entire body of work, if it did, why would there be a body of work following it? The executive summary/abstract should summarise the work for a prospective reader so that they may make a fairly quick choice whether or not the work is relevant to their interests, and worth their time to read some or all of the main body.

Yup. I think that's pretty well taken for granted.

What I'm getting at is I think QB is kidding himself if he thinks anyone, without any training in complex statistics and mathematical modelling techniques, can assess if someone's climate modelling methodology is solid or not. I struggle with long division FFS.

I wouldn't expect someone to be able to front up and perfectly understand complicated passages from Deleuze or Derrida without some basic background in continental philosophy, why should you expect me to be able to grasp the ins and outs of climate science without a basic background in science-based disciplines?

Well I personally don't consider anybody smarter than me, they just know different stuff.

However on the whole Climate Change and specially CO2 emissions subject .. I'll keep my wood fired Pizzas and bubbly beer thanks just the same.

I got very Sceptical when they said that an element which is the basic building block of every life form on this planet (Carbon) was considered a polutant....started reading a lot, the more I read the less I believed in the whole "global Warming" thing, oops sorry the "concencus" these days is "Climate Change". I'm constantly told I shouldn't question those that know better, bullshit! The whole point of Science is to question and remain Sceptical.

As for Climate Change in general...Yes it does.

It gets 9 to 9.5L/100K's. highway driving which is most of what it does.

I have had 2 different work cars in the last couple years. One was a 6cyl falcon that used the same and now a diesel 4WD monstosity that uses about 10.5L/100K,s

I will take the V8 any day. Although i do like the little diesel VW Golf Sports models. They go like the clappers and are great on fuel. Im not against fuel efficiency...... more that a bigger motor if set up corectly will use less fuel than most think due to not having to work as hard on the road. I just feather the pedal..... no harsh accelerating, and im out in front of cars off the lights. It just rolls up so easy. I dont have to work it at all. You hear the 4's reving away, drinking fuel under acceleration......... and yeah i laugh :)

How much fuel will a prius use towing half a tonne of dirt in a trailer? My V8 only goes up 1 or 2L / 100k because it has the torque to handle it and i dont have to push down on the pedal much more than normal.

Will a prius tow half a tonne up hill?...... i doubt the VW would either.... so whats better for me?

Edit: speeling

Yep probably why I used more fuel with the Prius than my Camry on the Bendigo run - so gutless you tend to push
harder on the accelerator to compensate.

You're 100% right on this, if you regularly tow a trailer or carry a load, the V8 can be economical.
If you potter round town and the heaviest thing you carry is a shopping bag then go the Prius or a little golf diesel.

Horses for courses.

The whole point of Science is to question and remain Sceptical.

I would have thought the point of science was the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the world through observation and experimentation.

rejecting a theory ratified by a huge number of experts and backed up by a large amount of observational evidence is't really being scientific now, is it?

I would have thought the point of science was the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the world through observation and experimentation.

Whish is questioning while remaining sceptical of the outcome....

rejecting a theory ratified by a huge number of experts and backed up by a large amount of observational evidence is't really being scientific now, is it?

I haven't rejected the theory, I'm sceptical of it and Until I am convicedby the "observational evidance" I will question their findings.

So far what I have read points to the warming period as having finished, even though the level of CO2 is increasing.

Personally I hope they are right, the thought of a cooling planet scares me more than that of a warming one.

H.

So that thing about no one being smarter than you...

You're 100% right on this, if you regularly tow a trailer or carry a load, the V8 can be economical.
If you potter round town and the heaviest thing you carry is a shopping bag then go the Prius or a little golf diesel.

Horses for courses.

I will drink to that!

cheers

QB, I'm not insinuating that, and I agree that people should actually look at the evidence themselves. However I think it is completely ridiculous for you to think that a layperson will be able to assess the validity of EXTREMELY complicated climate modelling techniques. We can look at the macro-detail, and assess for ourselves precisely how the project has been carried out, but we NEED to rely on executive summaries to explain the complexities for us, and to validate the modeling techniques used.
I don't understand this reasoning - lay people shouldn't be expected to understand the science, but they can be allowed to make sweeping remarks about the validity en masse? My problem is that while a summary is a nice thing to have, it must;

- address any shortcomings of the models used
- put into context the results and uncertainties therein
- consider the results in the context of the hypothesis of the study.

The report you quote fails on several counts here - results quoted without reference to what was actually measured, with which hypothesis, and lacking contextual uncertainties. Half of this isn't the researcher's fault - these studies are usually looking for 'is climate change happening', and a study like that tends to say little more than 'yes'. Conclusive? Hardly. The question "is climate change happening?" is almost useless in this context.

The correct question should be "is the global climate (whatever that is defined to be) doing something abnormal?" This is an enormously difficult question to pose - since we have no idea what 'normal' is for the climate. This is where the models come into play, but there's no mention of what these models are modeling, how good they are at it, their uniqueness, or whether or not they're just 'climate change' models made to predict sea-level rises 8 times out of 10. People seem quite happy to reason that if this is such a difficult question, then anyone who has an answer must have done a damn fine job of it. Bullshit.

It's certainly true that not everyone can understand the science, but I say if you can't swim, get out of the pool. Science doesn't have to be for everyone, but if someone can't understand that a particular model that predicts a 1m/century rise in sea-levels is based simply on volume of ice melting is perhaps, not particularly sophisticated, then I don't want them claiming to be an authority on the subject.

What I'm getting at is I think QB is kidding himself if he thinks anyone, without any training in complex statistics and mathematical modelling techniques, can assess if someone's climate modelling methodology is solid or not. I struggle with long division FFS.

I wouldn't expect someone to be able to front up and perfectly understand complicated passages from Deleuze or Derrida without some basic background in continental philosophy, why should you expect me to be able to grasp the ins and outs of climate science without a basic background in science-based disciplines?
Exactly. People who don't understand enough about statistics and modeling shouldn't be making value judgments on research. Simple.

Using your analogy, If I was to flip through Dissemination should I then be qualified to tell someone else whether or not a particular piece properly addresses the mind/body dichotomy? I think not. Yet it's appropriate for people to see this review (even if they didn't read it), take it as gospel that the results are unambiguous, and pass on that conclusion to others.

I'm constantly told I shouldn't question those that know better, bullshit! The whole point of Science is to question and remain Sceptical.
Well, not the point of, but the method by which it improves.

Jonez,

You got a link to an article stating that the world is warming?
Also, since what time has it been warming?

I have read contradictory evidence, and am skeptical of anyone stating this as a fact without proper evidence.

Not trying to cut you down, I actually enjoy reading anything scientific on this topic, and would like to know where the info comes from.

In case you hadn't guessed, I am in the 'global warming is bullshit' camp, and it's neighbouring site the 'human CO2 production has negligible effect on world temperatures' tent.

Marlow

marlow
I wasn't going to post anymore here as I see the thread got out of topic and I have no interest in arguing about climate change. I did not know there was this attitude towards the topic here or whether it had been discussed before.

I only posted a link about hops quality being affected by a change in temperature (if you read the article well, it actually asks to "set aside the arguments over global warming and just assume it is not up for debate") and everybody run to hug their fermenters and overreacted.

Honestly, there are thousand cases that prove the planet is getting warmer.(eg. seasonal changes affecting farming, ocean temperatures increased and resulting in record number storms per year, etc) All this corroborated by data. . You can be sceptic about humans being responsible but can't deny what is evident. I can't remember when was last time I met someone that believes the average temperature is not increasing. So I did not think I needed to show you data to talk about this. Anyway, I am sorry to create such a stress.

Can I just recall this post and we all forget we had this discussion?

I don't understand this reasoning - lay people shouldn't be expected to understand the science, but they can be allowed to make sweeping remarks about the validity en masse?

I think I must have been a little unclear - I see the role of bodies like the IPCC as necessary for advising policymakers and the public about these issues. They need to synthesise masses of highly technical research into a form we can understand and use. I mean, the whole academy (sciences AND humanities) is structured around this division of intellectual labour - we can't all assess the validity of research techniques and findings in disciplines we're not familiar with - that's what peer-review processes are for.

It sounds like you're advocating a technocracy - where all decisions related to the climate are left to climate experts - to those capable of understanding the ins and outs of the science. This is obviously ridiculous for an issue like climate change, due to its entangement with economics, politics, ecology, diasporas, epidemiology, ethics, etc. etc. etc. no one person can assess all that shit - we need to rely on the opinion of experts, who have the skills to look at all the evidence available and make recommendations, which we in turn can vote on.

My problem is that while a summary is a nice thing to have, it must;

- address any shortcomings of the models used
- put into context the results and uncertainties therein
- consider the results in the context of the hypothesis of the study.

The report you quote fails on several counts here - results quoted without reference to what was actually measured, with which hypothesis, and lacking contextual uncertainties. Half of this isn't the researcher's fault

The report I linked to was a synthesis report, designed for plebs like me, and written in uber-easy to understand language. If you look at the IPCC publications form the last few years here, you'll find a WEALTH (hundreds, maybe thousands of pages) of technical data, explanations of the modelling techniques used, methodology reports, technical papers etc. etc. Geek-out 'till your heart's content.

these studies are usually looking for 'is climate change happening', and a study like that tends to say little more than 'yes'. Conclusive? Hardly. The question "is climate change happening?" is almost useless in this context.

Totally Agree, but the IPCC doesn't ask the obviously banal question 'is climate change happening'? They are interested at looking at the CAUSES and EFFECTS of climate change. Maybe back in the 90's people were asking "is it happening", now the question is "is it anthropogenic?" (to which the world's leading scientists answer a resounding "yes"),"What are the concequences of climate change?" and "what can we to to intervene?"

I am sorry to create such a stress.

Can I just recall this post and we all forget we had this discussion?

No Stress man, and as you can see no personal mudslinging going on - just a good ol' debate. Marketplace of ideas and all that...

Once I get my keg system set up by the end of the month you guys can all come over and we can all hug and be friends. I'll cook lentils with solar energy for everyone and tony can do burnouts for our entertainment in his V8.

w00t.

So that thing about no one being smarter than you...

I didn't say they weren't smarter, I said I didn't consider them smarter...they just know different things.

they may have a lot of knowledge in one area.... lets say - computer modeling, can they rebuild a motor cycle engine that their mate insists on red lining :rolleyes: or for that matter a brew a decent beer .. Just because someone has an alphabet following thier name doesn't mean they know how to change a tap washer..

No Stress man, and as you can see no personal mudslinging going on - just a good ol' debate. Marketplace of ideas and all that...

Once I get my keg system set up by the end of the month you guys can all come over and we can all hug and be friends. I'll cook lentils with solar energy for everyone and tony can do burnouts for our entertainment in his V8.

w00t.

Ohhh, I hate lentils, can you do a solar BBQ ;)

Geez, you go away for the night, and miss out on a tonne of responses :icon_cheers: . Ok,

Jonez, don't stress about the line of this thread.
Arguments / rational discussions like this tend to take place regularly. Also, the reason I asked for any evidence is because the idea the world is warming is, IMHO, not a fact. There is some recent evidence to say that it is now been cooling for several years (see link I added). This flies in the face of CO2 causing global warming, as CO2 continues to rise while, if this evidence is correct, temperatures are actually dropping.
I am not saying the link is conclusive proof, but it made me skeptical, and was really just interested.

QB, when I said it was hard to disagree with boffins such as them, I meant that it is hard to prove them wrong without my own analysis of complex data, and therefore can't say conclusively either way.
They are a respected group of scientists (from what I can gather) and it would be foolish IMO to just say they are wrong without conclusive counterevidence of reasonable quality.

JohnAnchovy, Mr Ellis does not have a PhD, and that does not bother me at all. His talk was well written and researched with interesting historical information on the development of global climate knowledge, and he made some powerful arguments against the current theory of global warming.

The IPCC report is not 100% conclusive, and I will be skeptical of its findings for now due to any political agenda.

Marlow

Jonez, don't stress about the line of this thread.
Arguments / rational discussions like this tend to take place regularly. Also, the reason I asked for any evidence is because the idea the world is warming is, IMHO, not a fact. There is some recent evidence to say that it is now been cooling for several years (see link I added). This flies in the face of CO2 causing global warming, as CO2 continues to rise while, if this evidence is correct, temperatures are actually dropping.
I am not saying the link is conclusive proof, but it made me skeptical, and was really just interested.

Marlow

Marlow,

I just had a look at your link, a minute ago. I don't have the time to read it all right now, but from the main page I can read they admit there exists a "current global warming" that is what I had said. I don't have arguments to say what the causes are or whether we are guilty, or whether the government should do this or that, or ban homebrewers

What I do believe is: the period of warming is being more severe than before (that is, recent times. I am not going back to the dinosaurs era)

So with all this in mind, I was curious about the effects of this in hops. It is evident that it affects other crops.
Anyway, I'll drop it there.

JOnez

Jonez,

If you do have the time to read a little more of the page (and it is in interesting read), they say that there has been a period of global warming up until 2001, after which global temperatures have been dropping.

They agree that the planet has been warming, but only until 2001.
But from the graph of temperature readings taken from a satelite system (apparently quite accurate but who knows), it appears that this warming period is over and begining to reverse.
This would mean that global warming is not currently occuring (if the evidence is correct of course, and I am aware there is evidence from other sources that contradicts this)

This is the basis of why I asked, and why I added the information I had read.

I don't disagree with the term global warming, as it obviously happens. But so does global cooling, and if we are at the start of a global cooling cycle then it really debunks all the political agenda targeted at reducing emmisions etc...

I don't believe human activity is reponsible for the temperature variations around the globe either.

Again, I don't know any of this for sure, and I am only going off what information I have read (the reason I like these posts and hearing other sides of the story), so all this is really just my opinion.

Marlow

I didn't say they weren't smarter, I said I didn't consider them smarter...they just know different things.

they may have a lot of knowledge in one area.... lets say - computer modeling, can they rebuild a motor cycle engine that their mate insists on red lining :rolleyes: or for that matter a brew a decent beer .. Just because someone has an alphabet following thier name doesn't mean they know how to change a tap washer..

They can probably express themselves clearly, without saying contradictory things that make them seem a bit daft.

I'll take the bait, though. I'll put it to you that whatever it is they earned their "alphabet" in is a more useful (and difficult to master) skill than the changing of a tap washer.

Jonez,

If you do have the time to read a little more of the page (and it is in interesting read), they say that there has been a period of global warming up until 2001, after which global temperatures have been dropping.

They agree that the planet has been warming, but only until 2001.
But from the graph of temperature readings taken from a satelite system (apparently quite accurate but who knows), it appears that this warming period is over and begining to reverse.
This would mean that global warming is not currently occuring (if the evidence is correct of course, and I am aware there is evidence from other sources that contradicts this)
Some of these arguments deliberately mis-represent data. Natural systems have significant variability on small timescales (look at a plot of temperature over a 48 hour period), but we need to understand longer-term trends. The mean global temperature has been on a rising trend since the 1950s. Within that larger trend are of course periods where the year-on-year trend was reversed (i.e. there was a mini cooling trend). Climatic events like El Nino and La Nina produce such short term affects. In 1998, an El Nino event caused the hottest recorded temperatures globally (maybe even the hottest for over 100,000 years? someone may correct me here). Two recent La Nina (cooling) events in 2007 and 2008 have caused recent cooling. If you were to only view this period (1998--present) in a temperature plot vs time such as this one http://carbon-sense.com/2009/09/19/temp-vs-co2 of course you'd think there is a cooling trend. Instead perhaps look at plots over a longer term, such as the ones at: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/, and you get a feel for how there can be these short-term cooling trends within a longer-term trend.

Latest posts

Back