Clear wort into fermenter with plate chiller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
I've had my plate chiller for a few brews now, and was wondering...
Is getting clear wort into a fermenter with a plate chiller possible?

My usual process at the moment is connect it 10 or so mins before the end and run boiling wort through it, then at the end of the boil run it and recycle back into the fermenter until under 80c.
At this point I'll stop it and do some whirlpool hops.

After that it's on again and direct to fermenter, but as it's still hot the majority of 'stuff' hasn't settled into a nice cone in the bottom so the wort is not as clear as many pics I've seen..

Am I missing something or is this unavoidable with a plate chiller?

When I use my chiller I have a big w pot of just boiling water I recirculate through it for 15 or so mins, at flameout I whirlpool and then cover pot and put insulation jacket on and let sit for 20 or so mins (with the jacket on a full size batch only loses 1c over 90 min mash) and with the addition of brewbrite a nice cone has formed.
Reconnect plate chiller and clear wort goes into the plate chiller and still above 90c.

Not quite sure I understand your process but this is what I do.

Flame out. Whirlpool and lid on. this stops the thermo currents from interupting the whirlpool action.

If doing whirlpool hops I would leave with the lid off for 10 minutes to loose some heat (you could run an imeersion chiller for quicker results), add hops and then whirlpool with lid on again.

At this stage after 10 minutes the trub cone is formed.

I then pass through the plate chiller into the FV. I do notice that even if the wort is quite bright in the kettle, it will not be as clear once it comes through the plate chiller.
I have always thought this is because cold break is formed as it cools and is suspended in the wort. So if you no chill, it would come out clearer but once it had cooled, the cold break will be at the bottom of your cube (shad time to settle). When chilling with a PC, it is still in suspension, hence it will look cloudy. It shouldnt matter, after 12 hours in the FV, a sample should prove that the cold break has dropped out of suspension and you should have brighter wort.

Note that this is only my theory but experience tells me it is valid.

Thanks all
I run it through the plate chiller initially to drop the temp down to sub 80c for whirlpool hoping, which I run my pump to do.

Likely Im just not leaving it for sufficient time before doing my kettle transfer at the end of this

Latest posts

Back