Cleaning Stainless For The First Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frag_Dog

Reaction score
I've recently upgraded most of my brew rig to new stainless bits. I've gone with CamLocks, Stainless HERMS and a Stainless Immersion chiller. I didn't think of it until recently but what cleaning process should I follow for the first use of it?

I'm thinking there might be some oils and toxins from when they were manufactured that may very well still be on them. What would be the best way to clean this stuff off stainless? Soap and water, or something more caustic?

I'm only really worried about it for the first time.

PBW will do the job for you... otherwise caustic. But i'd go with PBW to remove anything organic.

PBW will do the job for you... otherwise caustic. But i'd go with PBW to remove anything organic.

And then passivate the parts in a mild citric acid solution by soaking for an hour or so.

Wes

The appendix of JP's "How to Brew" either online or hard-copy has a section about cleaning and treating metals, I'd suggest you read that, at least online since it should give you some good information (the guy is a metallurgist or some such).

And then passivate the parts in a mild citric acid solution by soaking for an hour or so.

Wes

Correct - 5% solution is recommended - Even better if the solution is about 60 DegC.

RM

Latest posts

Back