Cleaning Off Old Labels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billyboy

Reaction score
How do you get the old Labels off bottles. Looking for a sure-fire remedy.

Picking the right bottles helps. Some labels are pretty much impossible. Coopers, VB, Carlton are great. Grand Ridge suck to high heaven.

Soaking in warm soapy water should do the trick. Maybe try some eucalyptus oil for really sticky glue.

Andrew

Hey mate, having done this for 15 years just chuck the bottles, whatever bottles in any condition into a large bucket (like say 20L handy pail) and a 1/4 cup o' bleach... soak 'em overnight.. next day labels should fall right off. Yes, some will require light scrubbing but effectively, job done.

reVox

Yeah bleach over night is good. I have found however lately cleaning small bottles for my own chilli sauces that, believe it or not, COLES 'smart buy multi purpose cleaner' in a white spray bottle takes right off any sticky residue just like that. Mind you, that was just soaking the bottles in hot water and the labels come off but I'd doubt it even bleach would of taken that off. It was gluey and just spread around the bottles as I tried to shift it with all sorts of stuff. Highly recommend that for any sticky residue on ANY bottles. Spray it on, rub it in for 10 seconds and it just wipes off.

A soak in napisan works well. It doesn't stink like bleach does either :)

Mainly soaking. I've used pink, napisan and bleach. What ever I had handy at the time and pretty much it's a much of a muchness.

The longer you soak the longer the glue has to dissolve into the water. It's like doing all grain but with glue and bottles.

Back